Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Random Q & A

Anything you've wondered about recently but haven't got around to asking? 

Here's my random questions: 

- I need to figure out what to make for mains for my Zombie Dinner Party. So far, I've got bunches of canapes, drinks and dessert sorted. Any ideas on food for mains that is somewhat spooky and could suit the Zombie theme?

- What do you use for hair removal? Has anyone ever tried an epilator, and if so, is it worth the $150 I'll have to spend on it, or am I better putting that towards laser?

- If you've been on the pill and then come off it, how long did it take you to get your period back?

Now tell me yours, and perhaps we can all help disseminate random knowledge and put an end to those burning questions. 

Re: Random Q & A

• Options
    No one has answers to my questions? Sadness!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_random-q?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c40b2571-b0a9-48de-93e2-286f8433535ePost:0289cfe4-6050-457a-855b-b5d1d43dc28d">Random Q & A</a>:
    [QUOTE]Anything you've wondered about recently but haven't got around to asking?    Here's my random questions:  - I need to figure out what to make for mains for my Zombie Dinner Party. So far, I've got bunches of canapes, drinks and dessert sorted. Any ideas on food for mains that is somewhat spooky and could suit the Zombie theme?   - What do you use for hair removal? Has anyone ever tried an epilator, and if so, is it worth the $150 I'll have to spend on it, or am I better putting that towards laser?   -<strong> If you've been on the pill and then come off it, how long did it take you to get your period back? </strong>  Now tell me yours, and perhaps we can all help disseminate random knowledge and put an end to those burning questions. 
    Posted by thesuninherhead[/QUOTE]
    I don't think it took too long. Mine are very random anyhow but It wasn't several months or anything. Maybe 2 months?
  • Options
    Do you think stuffed dates/ figs could look like oozing brains/ hearts?
  • Options
    Any sort of met would work for a zombie dinner party.  Also, spaghetti could make some people think of guts.
  • Options
    Ahh ok. Thanks Roxy! I went off a month ago and I was so impressed with my body the other day because I had all the signs that a period was about to come, and some slight spotting on the due date.. I was just like, 'wow, I can't believe it just instantly settled back into a 28 day cycle after being on the pill for 9 years!'... and then it never actually showed, haha. 
  • Options

Here's my random questions: 

- I need to figure out what to make for mains for my Zombie Dinner Party. So far, I've got bunches of canapes, drinks and dessert sorted. Any ideas on food that is somewhat spooky and could suit the Zombie theme?

Hmm, the first thing I thought of is ghost shaped cookies. I'm not very helpful unless you're planning a Halloween party for 5 year olds :)

- What do you use for hair removal? Has anyone ever tried an epilator, and if so, is it worth the $150 I'll have to spend on it, or am I better putting that towards laser?

I shave my legs and nether regions, but just use wax strips on my moustache. My friend made fun of me for that, until I said, "hey, it's better than a moustache, right?"  Not all of us are blessed with hairless upper lips after the age of 20. I'm just too lazy and cheap to try anything else for legs. 

- If you've been on the pill and then come off it, how long did it take you to get your period back?

I never stopped getting my period on the pill, so again I'm no help. I actually never even had any irregularity after going off the pill, and I wasn't one of those people that felt crazy on the pill and then magically felt like "myself' after going off of it, I didn't really experience any changes at all except no more random nausea some mornings.

Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_random-q?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:c40b2571-b0a9-48de-93e2-286f8433535ePost:68983104-d51a-43c1-983d-09e56639e004">Re: Random Q & A</a>:
    [QUOTE]Any sort of met would work for a zombie dinner party.  Also, spaghetti could make some people think of guts.
    <p>Posted by kimheartsscott[/QUOTE]</p><p> </p><p>I was thinking spaghetti with meatballs ('brain balls' or something?).. I'm just not sure if that's really a dinner-party worthy dish. </p>
  • Options
    Pigs in a blanket (for the Zombie mains, of course)
  • Options
    oops, I missed the part where you said "main" um..lemme think..

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_random-q?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:c40b2571-b0a9-48de-93e2-286f8433535ePost:0289cfe4-6050-457a-855b-b5d1d43dc28d">Random Q & A</a>:
    [QUOTE]  - If you've been on the pill and then come off it, how long did it take you to get your period back?  

Honestly?  28 days.  It was crazy accurate.  I went off for a week, then started a progestin only pill that doesn't regulate your cycle.  They say you will have irregular bleeding, maybe no periods, etc...  My period came exactly on time.  I wasn't even thinking it could come and was super surpised by it.  I'm extremely impressed.  That's nine years of pill taking it had to overcome.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_random-q?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:c40b2571-b0a9-48de-93e2-286f8433535ePost:8774653c-29c0-4c85-9fcf-a70fa03fee35">Re: Random Q & A</a>:
    [QUOTE]Here's my random questions:  - I need to figure out what to make for mains for my Zombie Dinner Party. So far, I've got bunches of canapes, drinks and dessert sorted. Any ideas on food that is somewhat spooky and could suit the Zombie theme? Hmm, the first thing I thought of is ghost shaped cookies. I'm not very helpful unless you're planning a Halloween party for 5 year olds :) - What do you use for hair removal? Has anyone ever tried an epilator, and if so, is it worth the $150 I'll have to spend on it, or am I better putting that towards laser? I shave my legs and nether regions, but just use wax strips on my moustache. My friend made fun of me for that, until I said, "hey, it's better than a moustache, right?"  Not all of us are blessed with hairless upper lips after the age of 20. I'm just too lazy and cheap to try anything else for legs.  - If you've been on the pill and then come off it, how long did it take you to get your period back? I never stopped getting my period on the pill, so again I'm no help. I actually never even had any irregularity after going off the pill, and I wasn't one of those people that felt crazy on the pill and then magically felt like "myself' after going off of it, I didn't really experience any changes at all except no more random nausea some mornings.  
    <p>Posted by tlv204[/QUOTE]</p><p> </p><p>Thanks for your answers, TLV. As for the pill, aside from my skin getting a little worse, I really haven't noticed a lot of changes. Certainly, no big differences (or even noticeable differences) in mood, weight etc. I'm just not sure how long it is supposed to take for your cycle to come back to a normal 28 day cycle (or whatever is 'normal' for you). It's been so long since I was off the pill that I have no clue what is normal for me, really.</p><p> </p><p>and haha, yes, you cannot ignore the mustache! </p>
  • Options
    I know I asked this recently, but seriously can anyone explain to me how tangible things become digital? In my head, television actually works like it does in Willy Wonka, and I don't think that's right. How do CDs actually WORK? How can I talk to someone in Texas on a cell phone in Missouri? What kind of magic transports my voice there? I don't get it and so far no one has been able to satisfactorily explain it to me. Maybe one of you can dumb it down enough.

Another random question: What should be the next piece of furniture we buy? New coffee table, night stands, or dresser? We have all 3 but want nicer ones.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    I shave but pretty much avoid it.. and I wax my eyebrows. love it.

When I stopped the pill, I started bleeding 2 days after and bled for 3/4 weeks. It was awful, but my period was pretty regular after that.

no questions for me right now.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yeah I'm not sure, I know that some people have irregular periods or spotting for a few months after going off the pill, but I had also only been on the pill for about 5 years and was crazy regular beforehand as well (almost exactly every 28 or 29 days), and then stayed the same after. I do think spotting is normal though.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options

Well, with the cell phones, the waves (microwaves) are sent from your phone to the satellite, and from there to the corresponding satellites, eventually going down to your friend's phone in Texas, where the phone decodes it and makes it sound like voice again... I guess? haha.

As for furniture, I vote coffee table. You and your guests will see that more frequently than the dresser or night stands. 

• Options
    Meatloaf- you could shape it to look like something creepy and it can be semi red like blood...
    Mashed potatoes made it red potatoes with the skins left on?

Apparently gooey= zombie in my mind.

Tlv-Nightstands!

Heres my Q- Here is the trunk I've been working on. I want it to be a nice grey color (maybe a charcoal) the lighter color was my first attempt which was much too blue, the darker color is todays selection...
    Is it too brown?

• Options
    Roxy- I don't think it's too brown. I might be biased though. I've been trying to paint our living room gray for months. It now has 3 coats on it, and no matter which color I choose it comes out looking robin's egg blue instead of gray. It's really starting to piss me off, particularly because we have an ancient house with stupid super textured plaster walls that are a PAIN to paint.  I'm starting to wonder why I ever wanted an "older house with lots of character." Character my ass. It's just old. There is not a single right angle in this house.

Sorry for the vent :) I love my house, I promise, I just really hate those stupid plaster walls.

And yeah the good news about our furniture is that none of it is too expensive; we've already gotten a lot of the big stuff.

Sun- I guess that explains it kind of, but even though I know and understand what sound waves are, it still seems like magic in my head that they work like that. I don't know why.

Married
    Planning
  • Options
    TheSun- I'm sure you've googled but heres some stuff I've found..
    http://www.pinkraygun.com/2008/03/27/zombies-night-out-a-party-planning-guide/
    http://www.trendhunter.com/trends/zombie-brain-gelatin-mold
    "To add a creepy touch to boiled eggs, roll them upon a table before peeling them to lightly crack the shell. Soak them in red dye for a short time and they’ll look like large eyeballs."

Also, don't know if you're talented enough (I'm not!) put you could pipe your mashed potatoes to look like brains as well.
  • Options
    Yes! Who knew grey was such a  hard color to find?! I'm getting very frustrated with it.
  • Options
    Oh and I have another question that possibly no one will answer: How much (ballpark range) would it cost to have a 12' by 20' concrete patio put in along with 4 concrete steps to the driveway? The yard also needs to be leveled first and their is a gas light that might need to be removed first.

Yes I know I need to get estimates, but we're waiting until all the snow melts (and until we get our tax refund) for that and I"m impatient. Nothing too fancy, just a rectangular concrete patio. I just have a feeling I'm greatly underestimating how much this will cost. Plus I'm just wondering out loud. Sometimes I use this board for that since I'm at home alone now and you guys are more fun to think aloud to than Leo.  Sorry you have to deal with my randomness. :)
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    Oooh I like the piped mashed potato brains thing. That would be sweet. 
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_random-q?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:c40b2571-b0a9-48de-93e2-286f8433535ePost:0289cfe4-6050-457a-855b-b5d1d43dc28d">Random Q & A</a>:
    [QUOTE]What do you use for hair removal? Has anyone ever tried an epilator, and if so, is it worth the $150 I'll have to spend on it, or am I better putting that towards laser?   . 

Fi is paying for me to have laser treatments, and I like them. A lot less painful than any other method, even shaving for me. The laser broke recently, so I'm a week overdue for my 4th treatment, but its definitely working. If you buy your treatments in packages or use coupons or special offers, it can be very reasonable.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options

Thanks Roxy! I've googled a lot but hadn't come by that first link before and it's really helpful! I probably will end up going with meatballs (there'll be a lot of people here so need some easy things to make in bulk) and will figure out a vegetarian option as well as I know some of our guests don't eat meat (oh, the irony!). 

and as for your paint- I think it's very brown, but I like it! 

Anyway, I am going to go and get dressed and go zombie shopping! :)

• Options
    Oh, and I went off of Nuva Ring in August. My periods were regular until last month when I was 4 days late. This month, I was 9 days later than that.. I think we need stock in Clear Blue Easy now. My Dr. said that I am just now self regulating after being off for 6 months.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    Here is an article on paint colors that are hard to get right (it makes some suggestions and includes gray):
    http://lifestyle.msn.com/your-home/room-design/staticslideshowhb.aspx?cp-documentid=18230738

This helped me pick the right blue for the Master.
  • Options
    Ooh vegetarian option- Some kind of pasta with a green pesto sauce? I guess thats not creepy but it sounds good :)

Yea, I'm afraid its too brown :(

Tlv- no idea on how electronics work. Pretty sure its just magic
  • Options
    bpage- thanks! That's really helpful. Now I just have to convince H that it's not crazy of me to paint the living room yet agan.
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    Tlv- whats greys have you tried/ are you looking at?
  • Options
    Honestly I don't even remember. I just remember that one of them was called "Going Gray" and it was the bluest of all of them. At first I wanted a blue based, cool gray, but I didn't actually want blue :P
    Married
    Planning
  • Options
    - I would go with some kind of pasta dish with REALLY wide egg type of noodles (something 1" thick if you can find it?), a red sauce and meatballs of some kind.
    - my husband says "guacamole... because it looks kind of disgusting as it is, and its green. Zombies make me think red, green, orange, and purple." I dont know what this means...

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards