Wedding Etiquette Forum

Mints and Nuts?

So at our wedding we are having our wedding cake, sheet cakes, cake balls, and I'm surprising my fiance with a grooms cake. Do we NEED to have mints and nuts at our wedding? I really don't feel like we need to but wasn't sure if that's something that you should have or not
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Mints and Nuts?

• In Response to Re: Mints and Nuts?:
    [QUOTE]I don't think weddings require mint and nuts. I've never heard of that before in my life. And what the heck is a cake ball?
    Posted by cfaszews25[/QUOTE]

Ditto. I've never heard of that either.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mints-nuts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:cae60c7c-d475-4ce3-af5b-e6827e09973cPost:8831a3f7-b80d-4076-8d48-cd44479c036c">Re: Mints and Nuts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think weddings require mint and nuts. I've never heard of that before in my life. And what the heck is a cake ball?
    Posted by cfaszews25[/QUOTE]

It's like a truffle only instead of a truffle it's cake and it has a hard outside like a truffle too... Our cake lady makes them and they are AMAZING!! I really wanted the cake balls so thought they could sort of take the place of mints/nuts since I don't want to pay for both!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You know that none of your marrieges are valid because you DIDN'T HAVE MINTS AND NUTS! WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • I have no idea why you would need mints and nuts at a wedding.

I think cake balls are little bits of cake rolled up like a ball, put on a stick and dipped in chocolate, but I could be wrong.
  • I want cake balls.  Those sound yummy. 

Also, I think my mom bought mints and nuts, but I don't think they ever got put out.  I'm pretty sure no one noticed.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mints-nuts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:cae60c7c-d475-4ce3-af5b-e6827e09973cPost:56cc6145-d073-4890-808b-fb823c68d9de">Re: Mints and Nuts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You know that none of your marrieges are valid because you DIDN'T HAVE MINTS AND NUTS! WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!
    Posted by laurenclaire1386[/QUOTE]

THIS!!
  • Mints and nuts seem really old fashioned to me. They are supposed to be for people to munch on before the dinner. It's not nesessary at all. We're doing cake pops for people instead of the wedding cake--they are cake and frosting mixed together and shaped into a ball, dipped in chocolate. They are delicious and act as a favor.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mints-nuts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:cae60c7c-d475-4ce3-af5b-e6827e09973cPost:cdba87a8-1a32-4006-992e-edf7dd95dd9b">Re: Mints and Nuts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mints and Nuts? : It's like a truffle only instead of a truffle it's cake and it has a hard outside like a truffle too... Our cake lady makes them and they are AMAZING!! I really wanted the cake balls so thought they could sort of take the place of mints/nuts since<strong> I don't want to pay for both</strong>!
    Posted by cbratthauer[/QUOTE]

I am confused, you just want a bowl of mints and a bowl of nuts? Wouldn't that cost like $6? But I still do not see any need for them.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mints-nuts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:cae60c7c-d475-4ce3-af5b-e6827e09973cPost:56cc6145-d073-4890-808b-fb823c68d9de">Re: Mints and Nuts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You know that none of your marrieges are valid because you DIDN'T HAVE MINTS AND NUTS! WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?!
    Posted by laurenclaire1386[/QUOTE]

Non-Southerners just don't get it. Same as mint in your (sweet) tea.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Mints and Nuts?  I've never seen this before so I would say no it's not necessary.

Cake balls sound so yummy!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mints-nuts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:cae60c7c-d475-4ce3-af5b-e6827e09973cPost:39ef53a3-be2b-4ce2-8df0-2588e2ab3a89">Re: Mints and Nuts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you having a dessert only reception? If you are, I don't think you need mints/nuts, but I'd add some cheese/crackers and maybe a veggie tray.  What you have listed is a ton of sugar.
    Posted by ILoveMilkDuds[/QUOTE]

No we are having a full dinner, and hor's dourves before-hand as well. But we have A LOT of people invited also.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mints-nuts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:cae60c7c-d475-4ce3-af5b-e6827e09973cPost:e9cb4e25-2e97-410e-a1f1-fff0b9db0c8d">Re: Mints and Nuts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Mints and Nuts? : I am confused, you just want a bowl of mints and a bowl of nuts? Wouldn't that cost like $6? But I still do not see any need for them.
    Posted by ahhhitsshannyn[/QUOTE]

Sorry I didn't mean like the small hard mints, I meant like the soft cream cheese wedding mints or whatever they're called.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • For anyone now craving cake balls, they're pretty easy, but somewhat labor intensive:
    1. make a cake (use a box, you're not going to be able to appreciate a from-scratch cake in this recipe, so I wouldn't bother)
    2. crumble cake with frosting (1 box cake to 3/4 - 1 can frosting)
    3. form into balls and put on wax paper on a cookie sheet, cool in fridge or freezer so they harden a bit
    4. dip in melted chocolate
    5. decorate as desired and let chocolate shell harden

You can experiment with all kinds of cake/frosting/shell flavors. 
  • I think the only time I've ever seen mints and nuts at a wedding is when it was only a cake and punch reception. If you're having a full dinner, no one's really going to eat nuts or mints, I don't think. You're good.

And I'm totally jealous that you're having cake balls at your wedding. NOM.
  • I had cake balls on sticks (Cake pops) at my shower. I was so sick that day, and they were they only thing I ended up eating. They were FANTASTIC.
  • I have never heard of needing to have mints and nuts at a wedding.

Must be a regional thing?????
  • cfaz/anna- I make cakeballs. I make them really well. Next time you come over I am making cakeballs for you. I hope you like my story. The end.

• My friend make oreo cake balls for a party once. It was one of the happiest times of my life.
  • I LOVE cake balls they are SO good. Mmmmmmmm.......

I think this is a regional thing, because this seems like the most random question ever.  Who gives a sh/t about mints and nuts? 
    If you don't want them, don't get them.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mints-nuts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:cae60c7c-d475-4ce3-af5b-e6827e09973cPost:d069bb7d-de27-434c-a27c-abec2293a2a3">Re: Mints and Nuts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My friend make oreo cake balls for a party once. It was one of the happiest times of my life.
    Posted by ahhhitsshannyn[/QUOTE]

I've seen recipes for those, but have yet to actually make them.  They look amazing.

I'm mostly afraid to make them, because then I will be relegated to wearing mu-mus for the rest of my life, because I would turn into the Goodyear blimp.
  • Shannon I wish I'd never learned to make them. They're extremely time consuming, but also amazingly delicious. I whine through the whole process, but the whining stops when my mouth is full of cakeball. (Yeah, that sounds dirty. Heheh.)
  • Sorry I didn't mean like the small hard mints, I meant like the soft cream cheese wedding mints or whatever they're called

Maybe the cream-cheese mints are regional?  I'm from IA/IL border and we had these at our wedding, but only b/c I think they're delicious and I wanted them.

I don't think it's a requirement
  • I think yall are crazy who've never seen mints and nuts at a wedding Tongue out

They're common around the cake or snack table in Southern Indiana, but not required. OP, I think you're perfectly fine not having them. I've never been to a wedding that didn't have them and think DAMN WHERE ARE MY NUTS!

• I know and she made a big huge bucket of them. I ate the for like a week after and I could not stop myself. They sound sooo amazing right this second though. I think I may be in trouble.

I wish my mouth was full of cakeball right now. (heh)

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mints-nuts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:cae60c7c-d475-4ce3-af5b-e6827e09973cPost:42d69240-16bf-4597-8b09-349e08dd6321">Re: Mints and Nuts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think yall are crazy who've never seen mints and nuts at a wedding They're common around the cake or snack table in Southern Indiana, but not required. OP, I think you're perfectly fine not having them. I've never been to a wedding that didn't have them and think DAMN WHERE ARE MY NUTS!
    Posted by Birdie1483[/QUOTE]

I was going to post it must be a regional thing because I have NEVER been to a wedding in this area without mints and nuts.  However the weddings I have been to outside this area never have them.   Glad I am not the only one in this area that has noticed they are BIG here. 
  • I've never seen mints and nuts at a wedding either, but I've also never been to a wedding in the midwest.
  • Are you from Southern Indiana??
  • Mica, you're missing out Tongue out
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_mints-nuts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:cae60c7c-d475-4ce3-af5b-e6827e09973cPost:70131a03-9dd5-461a-863b-47f896905ee0">Re: Mints and Nuts?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you from Southern Indiana??
    Posted by Birdie1483[/QUOTE]

Yep, on the Sunny side of Louisville.
  • Haha I'm in Louisville as well. I grew up in Evansville.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards