Wedding Etiquette Forum

invitation etiquette help!

I sent our Save the Date to 3 coworkers: the Manager directly above me, his Supervisor, and the Division head since I work with them all on a daily basis and we have a great working relationship. The Supervisor is being let go though, so do I still invite him? I highly doubt he would come even if he was still working with the company since it would be a several hour drive for him, but I still feel like if he got a Save the Date, I need to send the invite... right? Invites won't be going out until January...  Thanks for your advice ladies!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: invitation etiquette help!

• Yup, anyone who gets a save the date needs to be sent an invite.
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • Since you sent the STD, I think that you should send the invitation.  That's the rule.  If he'd be uncomfortable attending, he won't come.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This is why I decided not to send STDs to coworkers...... We are hoping one person will leave soon and I don't want to be tied to inviting her to the wedding, snarky I know, but since I have to invite my whole department (custom in my profession) I'd rather not have to invite someone that left between the STDs and the invites. OP I think you are obligated to send invite but I would bet they would decline.
  • STDs = invited

So yes you still need to send him a formal invitation since you already invited him.  Doing otherwise would be rude .

This is why STDs should only be used when absolutely necessary, such as a DW or VIPs and VIPs who are OOT.

• CaitlynmkCaitlynmk member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited September 2012
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_invitation-etiquette-help?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ceb1c1fa-0f17-420a-b80f-c046b7bbfaa6Post:c914f48e-e6b7-458f-8dac-fc516b22f430">Re: invitation etiquette help!</a>:
    [QUOTE]STDs = invited So yes you still need to send him a formal invitation since you already invited him.  Doing otherwise would be rude . This is why STDs should only be used when absolutely necessary, such as a DW or VIPs and VIPs who are OOT.
    Posted by Maggie0829[/QUOTE]

STDs <em>are</em> absolutely necessary for our wedding... over half of our 250 guests are OOT so even though its not technically a DW, it seems like it for many of our guests. We needed to send them to make sure people could have the date and travel information (via our wedding website on the STD).

Anyway, thanks for the quick responses ladies! Your answers are what I was assuming. He isn't leaving our company on bad terms and I'm still happy to invite him, but its good to get confirmation. :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • What if she never sees him again? Maybe I'll just not send save the dates if I have to invite them.
    Live life like its your last day!
  • Unfortunately, all STDs need to be followed up with invitations, even if they are for people who aren't likely to come for whatever reason.

One hazard of inviting co-workers and bosses is that by the time the wedding happens they won't be co-workers and bosses anymore.  It's certainly something to think about when compiling a guest list.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards