Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Engagement gift - thank you's?

We have gotten a few spontaneous engagement gifts from friends.  Do I need to mail thank you cards for them?

Re: Engagement gift - thank you's?

• Options
    Of course you need to.

Are you not in the habit of thanking people for gifts?
  • Options
    Most certainly!
  • Options
    Definitely send thank-yous!

Obviously you want to actually thank the giver for their thoughtfulness.  Thank-you notes also let the sender know that the gift arrived safely and un-damaged.   

Personally, if I gave someone an engagement gift and didn't receive a thank-you, I would probably skip a wedding present....
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    Definitely.
  • Options
    You always send a thank you note when someone gives you a gift.  
  • Options
    Why on earth WOULDN'T you?

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_engagement-gift-thank-yous?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d2b9c5e5-f78b-410c-8de7-dfdd0dfb4c84Post:574dd5e1-da0e-4dae-85f1-eb72bbd8c532">Re: Engagement gift - thank you's?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Of course you need to. <strong>Are you not in the habit of thanking people for gifts?</strong>
    Posted by MyUserName1[/QUOTE]

<div>Exactly. No brainer.</div>
  • Options
    Anyone who sends you a gift for anything should get a thank you note. No matter the value of the gift or the reason they gave it to you. 
  • Options
    Lisa50Lisa50 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    Yes.  Why wouldn't you write a thank you note upon receipt of a gift??
  • Options

We were given the gifts in person.  It's not like I didn't say thank you.  This is the first occassion in my life that requires thank-yous because I don't give thank-yous for birthday gifts.  Do you?  I'm just learning here and asking for advise.  But thanks for being so rude about it.  I should mail you all a note.

• Options
    Please.  No one was rude.  You asked a stupid question.  "Should I be polite, or not?"

And it's advice not advise in this context.

Also, you should give thank yous for birthday gifts too.  The fact that you are habitually rude is not a good excuse for continuing to be rude.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_engagement-gift-thank-yous?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:d2b9c5e5-f78b-410c-8de7-dfdd0dfb4c84Post:c9208a13-687c-4092-8ac9-048a2e5e94c5">Re: Engagement gift - thank you's?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We were given the gifts in person.  It's not like I didn't say thank you.  <strong>This is the first occassion in my life that requires thank-yous because I don't give thank-yous for birthday gifts.  Do you? </strong> I'm just learning here and asking for advise.  But thanks for being so rude about it.  I should mail you all a note.
    Posted by lizardocu[/QUOTE]

<div>I most certainly do write thank-yous for brithday gifts!  I also write thank-you notes to my host after staying over-night at someone's house (even my in-laws).   It's just the polite thing to do, and it's how I was raised.  It's also how my husband was raised -- I can't tell you how many points I earned with his parents after sending thank-you notes for staying with them when we first started seeing each other.  </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
    DSC_9275
  • Options
    You should always thank anyone who gives you anything no matter how small... And thank yous should be sent promptly as well.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Obviously its already been answered so you know you should send a thank-you.  We've been writing them as we get gifts (we've been engaged almost 10 months, so we've gotten quite a few.

I would also write down who has given you what in a notebook or something.  I wasn't updating my FMIL with what we had received and when I went to tell her, I had no clue who some of the stuff had come from.  I since made a list and have been adding the gifts to it so that I can say, "Oh, by the way, we got an engagement gift from _______and it was ______".  

In our case, most of the gifts came from FI's family...I don't know why that is the case but it has been.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards