North Carolina
Options

various questions...

Hey, all. I have a few questions that have just randomly come up recently I was hoping you ladies could help me with. :) 1. I am not planning on having a wedding coordinator/director, so how do girls without one usually run their wedding? Is this a situation when you just designate a person (mother, wedding-savy friend, etc..) as the person in charge of keeping things on track and moving forward? I'm just thinking about the day of, wondering who says when to move onto the next part of the wedding/reception. 2. How long do evening receptions usually run? I am getting quotes from caterers now, and one of them asked for the length of the reception to formulate a quote for me. My wedding is at 6:30, I'm estimating about a 1/2 hour ceremony, then pictures (1/2 hour-1 hour?). That puts the reception starting at 7:30-8:00pm. 3 hours? 3 1/2? I just don't know. 3. I am having a Friday wedding, which has already scored me a discount on the venue and the photographer. Who else can I ask about special rates? Caterer? Flourist? DJ? All of them? I know it can't really hurt to ask, but I don't want to cross some unspoken wedding etiquette line, either. Thanks for any answers you ladies can provide! This board has been a great discovery for my planning. :) Heather

Re: various questions...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    1) I'm thinking about hiring a day-of coordinator so I don't have to pick a friend to stress about that sort of stuff.2) I just went to a wedding that started at 6:30.  Ceremony was at 6:30, done by 7:00, they had a cocktail hour till 8:00 so they could run off and do pictures, reception was from 8:00 - 11:00.  But the bride (who is one of my bridesmaids) told me yesterday she wishes they had started everything earlier because she was absolutely exhausted by 11:00 and could barely stay awake at their after party.  So based on her experience I think we will start ours at 4:30.3) Pretty much everyone should cut you a deal for doing your wedding on Friday.  If they won't, move on.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    1. DJ.  I have been to a couple of weddings recently & the DJ was the one who told everyone to head upstairs after the ceremony, to go ahead and start the buffet line...etc.  Ask your venue too, I know mine said don't worry about hiring a coordinator, that they have experience with moving crowds. 2. My ceremony and reception is going to last 4 hours, approx.  But both are at the same location.  I wouldn't go too late with the reception, it seems like a lot of people leave before the end if it does go late (just an opinion and observation). Not everyone of course.3. Why not mention it?  Who knows what kind of discount you can get.  Good Luck with planning!
  • Options
    ecuchikaecuchika member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know a bride that asked a wedding savvy friend.  It was actually a co-worker!  I think they got her a nice card with like a gift certificate for her and her hubby.  It went very smoothly just if the person has NO experience but good leadership skills I would map out your wedding and give them like small notecards or something so they can keep up with all the events.  The main thing the coordinator did was tell the WP when to start walking.  It was more work at the RD b/c thats when we had to figure out everything..at the wedding we knew what we were doing so it was easier.  HTH! You may want to research what a coordinator does to tell the person you ask...but I think you should have someone help with the chaos!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    1. I wouldn't hire a DOC. I didn't have one and it was just fine, but this is because I had a free wedding coordinator at the ceremony place(actually 3) they did everything. I sat back and relaxed beforing heading down the aisle. Our reception venue had a wedding coordinator also included. They did everything during the reception. The photographer had a timeline for pictures so he kept us moving during that and the DJ annouced important events. So basically all ur vendors work together to make ur day perfect (this is why you need to research ur vendors and make sure they are good). This is why I did not need to spend extra money on a DOC. 2.Our reception started at 5 (cocktail hour) and ended at 10. 3.Just ask!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah if your venue includes coordinators that are there the day of your wedding it would definitely be overkill to hire an additional one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards