North Carolina

TIPS??

Who do you tip and how much is standard?  My venue is including gratuity, which I don't always like because if the wait staff does a poor job, they are get an awesome tip regardless.  But, do you tip the DJ, florist, cake maker, etc.??

Re: TIPS??

• JemmessicaJemmessica member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've always heard that if they work for someone else (they don't own the business your using) you tip them... i.e. the waiters, ect.
  • edited December 2011
    Im not tipping anyone who owns their own business, who I believe is most of my vendors, actually. I've decided though that I will probably tip the wedding coordinator (who works at my venue) if she does a great job, she's been wonderful to work with so far, and the photographer because she works her butt off... and maybe the DJ, because I hear they do an excellent job.
  • edited December 2011
    PS - Im not tipping any service staff at my venue because I am already paying a ridiculous gratuity AND a tax ON the gratuity, so they're getting plenty from me already.
  • edited December 2011
    i thought the rule about not tipping if the person at your wedding owned the business was full of issues. most dj's own their company and most hair stylists also but we still tip. so i tipped for good service instead of who they worked for. for me it was automatic for venue, dj, photographer, florist delivery guy. for the dj, florist delivery and photographer i didn't give money as the tip instead it was goodberry's gift cards. i gave money for the hair and makeup.
  • edited December 2011
    i also did not allow tip jars at the reception since i handled tipping for the venue before hand.
  • edited December 2011
    WTH are goodberry gift cards
  • edited December 2011
    LOL Katherine.  If its the Goodberry's I'm thinking of, its a custard/ice cream shop that's popular in the Triangle.
    imageimageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Ohh, LOL... thought it might have been an Andrea-ism of some kind.
  • JemmessicaJemmessica member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hahaha an Andrea-ism.... lolMy first job was Goodberry's! Spent a whole year and a half being a custard slave.....
  • alliegator8alliegator8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yummy, ice cream... I agree that tips depend on the quality of service. I won't be tipping the service staff b/c their tip (20%) is included in our contract already. And the band is splitting what I am paying, so I don't know if I am going to tip anymore on top of that. I would definitely tip delivery guys if they get there on time and delivery everything in a good condition.
  • edited December 2011
    yep. it's goodberrys the frozen custard shop. sorry for all the charlotte, ws, and gsb people. i just wanted it to be personal.
  • edited December 2011
    omg I love Goodberry's so much.  I went there for the first time in maybe 5 years Monday and got a raspberry/blackberry concrete.  So good.I might have to be bad and go back today.  Today is pumpkin day!  But it's my last day in NC for a year so I can justify it that way :p
  • gizmo91909gizmo91909 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I tipped anyone who I thought gave excellent service: hair stylist, driver, photog., band, videog, etc.. I didn't tip the waitstaff because that was already included in the catering prices.
  • edited December 2011
    Yeah - tip those who don't own their own business for extraordinary service...except I'm a tipper and I'll tip everyone who doesn't own their own business. For me, this includes: catering (because she has to tip her workers), DJ and videographer.I will not be tipping our florist - he's the owner. I will not be tipping our coordinator - she's part owner. I will not be tipping our photographer - she's the owner.
    BabyFetus Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards