Wedding Etiquette Forum

Wrapping Shower Gifts

Hi everyone,

My mother and sister are planning my bridal shower and I asked them to let the guests know that I want the gifts wrapped in clear plastic for a display table, rather than having me sit down and open them all.  Mom and sis agreed but is there an etiquette on informing guests of this request?  Does it get written directly on the invitation or would it be enclosed with the registry cards?  How would the request be worded?  Thanks!

-Crystal
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Wrapping Shower Gifts

• This seems like an odd request to me. I don't think there is a proper way to tell guests that.
  • What?  WHy even bother asking them wrap them?  That's silly.
  • The etiquette is that you don't do it.  It's rude to tell your guests, who have spent their own money to attend and buy you a gift, how you want the gift wrapped.  Just unwrap each gift, thank each person as you admire the gift, and then display them if you want them displayed. 

I would be quite annoyed if I received an invitation requiring specific wrapping paper. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • If a guest takes the time to purchase & wrap a gift, and comes to your shower, the least you can do is open them.
  • Yeah I don't see a good reason why this should happen.  Some (old) people like to sit and watch you open the gifts...it's kind of part of the whole bridal shower thing.  I don't think you should request it, personally.
  • If I was told I had to wrap my gift in clear plastic because the bride was to lazy to open the gifts at the shower I would be ticked and would probably not go.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wrapping-shower-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e5217119-36f5-4bb7-8f6a-486c5af0d783Post:e6886a1f-e183-4b46-90cb-e062556108b6">Wrapping Shower Gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi everyone, My mother and sister are planning my bridal shower and I asked them to let the guests know that I want the gifts wrapped in clear plastic for a display table, rather than having me sit down and open them all.  Mom and sis agreed but is there an etiquette on informing guests of this request?  Does it get written directly on the invitation or would it be enclosed with the registry cards?  How would the request be worded?  Thanks! -Crystal
    Posted by LuvCG[/QUOTE]
  • Do you know how much excess trash that will make for you or the host of the party? If you don't want to spend time unwrapping gifts, tell them just ti bring them unwrapped.
  • Good thinking Anna :)
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • I really love wrapping shower gifts.  I find it the most fun thing about a shower.  I love finding a really cute paper and accessories.  I would probably be very annoyed if someone told me to wrap my gift in saran wrap or similar.   
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Huh?!

Opening gifts is sort of the point of a shower. If you don't want to do it, either decline the shower or only invite a few people so there are less gifts to open.

I'd be mad if I had to buy special wrapping paper for you. I have a stash of non-clear wrapping at home which I prefer to use, since it can get kinda pricey.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Most of the shower IS opening presents.  If you don't open them, expect a super short shower.
    BFP(1) DD1 born 4.17.10 @ 33w5d due to pPROM
    BFP(4) DD2 born 2.14.13 @ 35w5d due to pPROM

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Please ffs don't do this.  It is beyond tacky and I would be horrified if I saw a shower invite or even had a word of mouth conversation instructing me what I should wrap a gift I bought.  I would not only judge the bride and her family, but I would call my friends and we would talk about it and giggle.
  • Don't do this.  The point of the shower is to open gifts.
  • this is teh most ludicrous thing i've ever heard.  even more shocking is that two other people actually agreed with you that its a good idea.

if you dont like opening gifts in front of people, dont have a shower. 
  • edited December 2009
    Thanks for the input but no one has answered my question. I didn't ask for your opinions, I asked if there's a specific way to word the request.

This is not an offensive practice.  It's a new idea that's becoming increasingly popular.  I asked around and someone told me there is a poem put in the invitation when asking for clear wrapping paper at showers.  I'll have to find it. 

If anyone has this poem, I'd love for you to pass it on.  So please, if you cannot answer my question, do not waste my time with your posts.
  • And it's called a "Display Shower" so Google it.
  • Just because there's a poem, doesn't make it ok.

Also, you didn't answer my question either.  So there.  (It was "What's the point?  Why even wrap things at all?" Basically if you want to display things, why not ask guests not to wrap them?  It seems like wasted effort and money.)
  • Here's a poem:

This is a dumb idea,
    please bring me a present
    wrapped in clear plastic wrap.
    Yep, it's weird, but do it anyway.

How's that? It doesn't rhyme, but I think it has a great artistic quality about it.
  • Also, if you had taken your own advice and googled it, you would have gotten your answer. It took me 2 seconds to find this:

It's time for (bride's name) Bridal Shower
    And for us girls to have some fun,
    So we're trying something different
    And we hope that you can come...

Please wrap your gift in cellophane
    or leave it unwrapped, you see,
    We'll have more time to socialize
    And visit with the bride-to-be...

Still weird, though.
  • The reason is that I think showers are a torture worse than waterboarding.  No one I know enjoys going to showers so they can sit and watch a girl open comforter sets for a couple of hours.  The Display Shower will give everyone more time to enjoy each other's company.

And I didn't do a Google because I was at work alll day and don't have time to investigate things on the internet.  I spent some time on TheKnot on my lunch hour and was hoping to come home to some suggestions.  Instead I came home to some really nasty, judgy and unproductive responses.  Really, what's the point in answering if you're not going to help?  Isn't that the point of a message board?
  • We ARE trying to help.  The board is called Etiquette.  We told you that your idea is not a good one, etiquette wise. 

So, if you hate showers, the proper procedure (according to etiquette) is to politely decline.  Have some sort of get-together where people aren't required to bring gifts.  And if they DO, don't tell them how to package it.

And again, there's really NO NEED to wrap things in clear wrapping.  Really.  They don't need to be wrapped at all, if that's what you really want.
  • I think it would benefit you to consider the responses that you got because it's most likely, a good representation of how your guests will feel about being ask to wrap their gifts in a certain way.
  • And if the whole point of doing this is because you think showers are awful and you just want to spend time socializing with friends and family, then why do gifts at all? I bet I know why....
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wrapping-shower-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:e5217119-36f5-4bb7-8f6a-486c5af0d783Post:615c99c2-956f-4ea1-9a94-9c47a1080eac">Re: Wrapping Shower Gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]The reason is that I think showers are a torture worse than waterboarding.  No one I know enjoys going to showers so they can sit and watch a girl open comforter sets for a couple of hours.  The Display Shower will give everyone more time to enjoy each other's company. And I didn't do a Google because I was at work alll day and don't have time to investigate things on the internet.  I spent some time on TheKnot on my lunch hour and was hoping to come home to some suggestions.  Instead I came home to some really nasty, judgy and unproductive responses.  Really, what's the point in answering if you're not going to help?  Isn't that the point of a message board?
    Posted by LuvCG[/QUOTE]

I actually like watching people open gifts! Maybe I'm weird.

Also, I'm new to posting too, but I think that people can help you, even if they aren't telling you exactly what you want to hear. I think that if an overwhelmining majority (all) tell you it's a bad idea -- that is very helpful. They could have just saved you from an embarassing situation!
  • WOW!! I can't believe someone is actually considering this..they talked about this on the radio the other day. How tacky! If I got your invitation I would definitely be a no show! Enjoy!
  • Wow, numbers, I'm so hurt that you feel that way about me. Does this mean we can't be friends?
  • We could be friends, but I sure as hell hope it rains on your wedding day.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_wrapping-shower-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:e5217119-36f5-4bb7-8f6a-486c5af0d783Post:b338f786-e0af-4e4d-ac74-a3b1e8172996">Re: Wrapping Shower Gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]In response to both the bride-to-be and the posters: I've been to about three different showers within the past two months (two wedding showers, one baby shower) that had "Display Showers".  I don't think there is anything wrong with it and I don't think it's tacky.  Actually, the bride is right; it's the new thing!  Maybe the posters should consider that most of you seem to be from small-town places that aren't usually as up to date as bigger cities (I'm from Manhattan, so we're up to date with these things - sorry!).  And the bride who posted this is from the "outer boroughs" (whichever that may be), so she might have a better idea than the girls who are attacking her, specifically CEW515...your posts are pretty nasty and immature...kind of what how I would expect my 8th graders to act when their friends don't want to follow along with her idea. To the bride-to-be: go for it!  You're a step ahead of the game!
    Posted by 425847937503401[/QUOTE]

I really don;t think it has anything to do with where you live. I spent most of my 35 years living in a large city and wouldn't consider doing this. I just think it's rude.

It gives the impression that the bride doesn't have the time to bother opening gifts that the giver took the time to purchase and wrap.

Is she going to have her guests fill out the envelopes for her thank you cards too? Just because it's an "up to date" idea, doesn;t mean it's a good one.
  • Holy Crap.  Anyway, thanks for the poem, CEW.  I think it's great and will be sure to pass it on for the invitations.  Thanks for answering my original question.

Thanks to the other girl for defending me.  Most people I've spoken to in real life think it's a good idea too.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards