Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

NWR: Please help me with shoes.

Company cocktail Christmas party tomorrow night.  I'm wearing this dress:

(pictures are from when I bought it last year, but I ended up wearing something else)

I don't really want to wear those shoes and go barelegged.  Could I wear just below the knee black boots?  Or would I look like a hooker?  Would black tights help with the boots? 

I don't have closed toe black heels (I'm the opposite of a shoe whore) so I don't know about wearing tights or pantyhose with these.
ttc chart
BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12

Re: NWR: Please help me with shoes.

• Options

I'm not liking the idea of boots with that dress.  I think its too pretty and fancy of a dress for boots.  You can get sandal tights that have only go halway up your foot so that you can wear open toe shoes with them.  I think it would look weird if you wore black tights with them but had open toe, but if you just wanted nude ones you would be fine.  Personally I hate tights though and don't ever wear them, so I would just wear it as you are in the picture.  I think its looks great that way.

imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    How open a toe are we talking? I've got some peep toe black pumps, but the hole is TINY (that's what she said) and they look fine with tights. I do think boots would look a little hookery though. It's too short a dress for boots, IMO.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Options
    You can kind of see it in the first picture, LC.  It's like 2 1/2 toes maybe peeking out?  Maybe I can get away with nude tights to protect against the cold.  And stop people from thinking my legs are dead.
    ttc chart
  • Options
    I'd do nude tights before I did boots.
  • Options
    annakb8annakb8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2010
    I think its ok to wear tights with those shoes, and definitely black over nude. I am usually anti tights with open toes, but I think black on black is an exception.

Just so you know though, I love tights and wear them everyday (although that is at least partially because I hate wearing pants) so I am probably biased.

p.s. super cute dress!
  • Options
    I don't think the boots would look good with the dress. I like the heels you are wearing in the pic.
  • Options
    IFirst, wear the peeptoes. Second, I wouldn't wear bare legs to an work cocktail either, but I'm pretty conservative. I know some tights work with peeptoe, but I'm not sure what kind. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

By the way, I love the outfit.
  • Options
    TR!!  You look so hot!!!

Obvious being stated; go ahead and wear tights.  Colored or textured and don't worry about the toes being covered.  Just see if you can find some that don't have a seam in the toe or a reinforced toe.  HOooot.
  • Options
    Momo!!  I knew you'd come to my rescue! :)
    ttc chart
  • Options
    I really, really like that dress on you.  I think as long as you find tights that dont look weird in the toe they'd look ok with those shoes.  Confession: I would see this as an opportunity to buy new shoes because I really, really need them.  That's probably not the best solution.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-please-shoes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ec13be72-0261-4f43-83d5-3f044e8ae2dcPost:d8f9159d-c7b8-4cd1-be2c-9b7f83d664eb">Re: NWR: Please help me with shoes.</a>:
    [QUOTE]Momo!!  I knew you'd come to my rescue! :)
    Posted by FutureMrsTR[/QUOTE]

A little late, sorry. :)  What do you most want to do?  Buy new shoes or get some tights? lol
  • Options
    Tights all the way.  I have black tights and some nude stockings already, I'll have to check and see what the toe looks like on each of them.  I don't really have the time or money to pick out new shoes by tomorrow evening, haha.
    ttc chart
  • Options
    Right on.  even if they have a toe line, just try to get it under your feet so it isn't noticeable.  If you want to try to get some different ones, I found these at Target online:

A little wild

Dotty
  • Options
    Momo is the best online shopper. And I didn't tell you earlier, but you've got one rockin sets of legs there hot stuff.
  • Options
    I am totally jealous of the legs. 
  • Options
    You're only jealous because I have my legs crossed in the front on picture.  I actually have pretty knobby knees and tiny calves:

ttc chart
  • Options
    Um, yeah.  Still hot. 
  • Options
    Still pretty jealous of your legs...
  • Options
    Well, thanks ladies ;)  Makin' me blush.  I used to be so self concious of my knees and calves I went a whole summer in my early 20's not wearing shorts.  But I'm over it now.
    ttc chart
  • Options
    Woo! You look great in both of those dresses!

Ditto PP on just tucking the toe line of stockings under your feet. People probably won't even notice. They'll be too busy looking at your legs. ;)
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Visit NewOrleans.Weddings.com

Nov '12 September Siggy - Bridesmaids!
    bridesmaids-2
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I tend to think non-nude tights dress something down. Make it look more jeuvenile. Which is fine - I love me some tights and wool skirts - but wouldn't be my choice for a company holiday party. I think you'd be fine with nude stockings and the heels in the pic.

As for boots, I actually think those would dress it down, too, but I'd have to see them to know if they would be too VAVOOM or if they'd be fine.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_nwr-please-shoes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ec13be72-0261-4f43-83d5-3f044e8ae2dcPost:05d77a0c-9b8a-4f08-b97d-7213c532e16f">Re: NWR: Please help me with shoes.</a>:
    [QUOTE]I tend to think non-nude tights dress something down. Make it look more jeuvenile. Which is fine - I love me some tights and wool skirts - but wouldn't be my choice for a company holiday party. I think you'd be fine with nude stockings and the heels in the pic. As for boots, I actually think those would dress it down, too, but I'd have to see them to know if they would be too VAVOOM or if they'd be fine.
    Posted by msmerymac[/QUOTE]
    I think tights today are totally different from what we wore growing up.  They have fun textures and patterns, and if she were to wear the polka dot ones, they're actually kind of sexy, imo. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards