Wedding Etiquette Forum

Gifts

I live 2,000 miles from where we are getting married. How do I let people know that it would be appreciated if they send any gifts to Arizona instead of giving them to us at our Minnesota wedding? Can I put it on my website with the registries and how do I word that?

Thank you!

Re: Gifts

• Personally, I wouldn't say anything. It is your responsibility to get gifts home. People might realize when they see where the wedding is being held to mail gifts, but even if they do, asking people to pay for shipping doesn't feel right to me. Shipping is so outrageous these days.
  • Traditionally, gifts are sent ahead of the wedding, so you just circulate your Arizona address. In many communities, this tradition has slipped, and guests bring gifts to the wedding. There's not much you can do to discourage this, except spread by word-of-mouth how much easier it would be if guests shipped gifts. Put your Arizona address on your registries and, if possible, as the return address on invites, too.
  • Doesn't your registry have your address?  Whenever I've bought off the registry, the gifts were sent to the couple.

Don't say anything to your guests though.
  • I don't think you should say anything.  However, I think it would be fine for your friends and family to spread the word if anyone asks.  Really, though, it's your responsibility to get the gifts home.  I would think that most people would realize that your home is far away and have the gifts sent there.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_gifts-22?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ee6373bd-568b-4061-ab4e-83e8ba5eb82aPost:490259a5-2a82-489f-810d-8b00a78f8ce1">Re: Gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]Personally, I wouldn't say anything. It is your responsibility to get gifts home. People might realize when they see where the wedding is being held to mail gifts, but even if they do, asking people to pay for shipping doesn't feel right to me. Shipping is so outrageous these days.
    Posted by whitsy[/QUOTE]

<div>This. </div><div>
    </div><div>If they buy them online, it should ship to whatever address you have on your registry.</div>
  • No matter what you do, some idiot is going to bring you a gift to the wedding. You will have to deal with some shipping. Just accept that from the get go. 

You can put it on your website. Make sure the shipping address is correct with the stores you register at. 

But really, be prepared to deal with some of it yourself. Most people will have common sense, but not everyone. 
  • Thanks everyone!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards