Wedding Etiquette Forum

How have you stupidly hurt yourself?

Since we are high jacking the confession thread, here we go!

1) I once was hit by a paper thin cardboard box on the forehead and it bled like a mofo

2) I once popped a blood vessel in my finger counting cash

3) I once fell out of a hammock, passed out, and cracked my tailbone.

4) Dh knocked out his two front teeth while demonstrating forklist safety to a new associate.

Re: How have you stupidly hurt yourself?

• I broke my arm by twirling around in a circle and falling down.

Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_stupidly-hurt-yourself?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ef4dd65d-f544-4e4d-af22-fd5f7a40a38cPost:bc39c4d3-172f-4ee8-85f5-fffe64614f3a">How have you stupidly hurt yourself?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Since we are high jacking the confession thread, here we go! 1) I once was hit by a paper thin cardboard box on the forehead and it bled like a mofo 2) I once popped a blood vessel in my finger counting cash 3) I once fell out of a hammock, passed out, and cracked my tailbone. <strong>4) Dh knocked out his two front teeth while demonstrating forklist safety to a new associate.</strong>
    Posted by katiewhompus[/QUOTE]

Hah!  That's sad but funny!
    I recently smacked myself in the forehead hard enough to cause a lump and a bruise just by miscalculating my head movement while closing a cabinet door.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I also broke my leg teeterfuckingtottering.
    Vacation with Alix, Andy, Mandy, and FLORENCE. AND HER MACHINE.

The Margarita Evolution
  • I sprained my wrist by getting my arm caught in the steering wheel.  While I was driving.  I was very lucky to have not hit the gas station store.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• 1) Kicked myself and broke my foot (explained in the confessions thread)

2) Knocked myself unconscious TWICE. Once by hitting my head on a bed while cleaning. And a second time when I went to pick up my purse from the floor and caught the corner of my eye on a chair and knocked myself clear out.

3)Fell out of a shoe and sprained my ankle (I went throught a phase of not tying my shoes in middle school)

4)Broke my big toe chasing my dog and slamming it into the threshold in the door way into a room.

....So many more, since I hurt myself daily.
  • I broke two toes racing my sister to the bathroom.  We were 21 and 27 at the time.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Oh! I forget a doozy! I dislocated my elbow by falling off of a treadmill and not letting go in time. I'm brilliant.
  • I put it in the cofessions thread, but I busted my lip on a vacuum cleaner once. Other than that, I just trip and fall. A lot.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • SarahPLizSarahPLiz member
    First Comment
    edited March 2010
    My sister knocked my front teeth out when I was 3 by pushing me off the front porch with the swing.

I have a friend who chipped her elbow and tore all the tendons in the area while doing a keg stand. She told her BF that she fell while helping a drunk person at a party.

ETA: I severely bruised my tailbone while rollerblading in college, and had to crawl across the street back to my dorm because I couldnt stand.

I also twisted my ankle the Monday before Thanksgiving while walking in a straight line on a level sidewalk. It took 3 months to fully heal.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • I have bad depth perception or something and tend to walk into things.  my worst one of these was walking through my house with my hands basically in fists, missing a door, and punching a freaking doorknob.

I've never broken anything bigger than a toe, though.  *knock on wood*
    murrayed
  • I'm sorry because I know these hurt but I am laughing so hard right now...

Oh, and I fell through a fake trap door on a stage during a play rehearsal. I had spent the last 3 hours keeping the other actors from falling through the door, then went to grab something off stage and went straight through it, denting my ass on the metal stairs below. This happened when I was 10 and I still have a V shaped wedge on my left cheek.
  • In high school, I worked at a coffee shop. One night, while I was carrying the bistro chairs back inside, the leg of the chair got caught on the strap of my flip flop. I fell, the chair landed on my hand, and I landed on the chair. I badly dislocated my thumb-it took 4 tries before the ER doctor was able to pop it back into place. If he hadn't gotten it on the fourth try, he was going to break my thumb and put me in a cast. That was a fun one to explain to my boss.

And on an unrelated note, I just had to delete this answer and repost, because it posted on the Seattle board. WTH?
  • Oh, I've also fallen down stairs about a dozen times. Fortunately I've never had more than bumps and bruises, though.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • When I was 5, I was running from the pool back to my grandmother's condo on a concrete sidewalk. I was holding my towel out behind me and acting like it was a Superman cape. Of course my feet got tangled up in the giant beach towel as it dragged the ground and I skinned the living daylights out of my knee. I still have the scar.
    Whatever you hatters be hattin. -Tay Prince
  • Just thought of two more:

My freshman year of college:

Seriously bruised/almost broke my wrist playing Wii bowling. I did it backwards (there may have been drinking involved) and hit my loft bed.

Got a concussion while trying to get out of my loft bed-I forgot the ceiling fan was on.
  • Ugh, I'm loving this thread and have to leave.

On my way out, I fell off a stage in the 8th grade during a band concert. I got the lucky seat that straddle the gap between the stage and the extender they put on our small stage. I scooted my chair a little to sit more comfortably and went directly between the two. In the middle of a song. It's a good thing everyone knows i'm a klutz and I don't get embarassed when I practically kill myself every other day! My students don't even flinch when I walk into the computer or the projector, or their desks everyday.
  • Last easter I fell out of bed and sprained my ankle, I was on crutches for a week.

Last weekend I tripped and fell in a bar and now have two huge bruises on each knee.

When we first moved in our house, I was walking to our room in the dark, and when I bolted down what I thought was the hallway I ran into the wall and bruised my nose.
    Photobucket
  • Oh, in 9th grade I was running across the asphalt parking lot while wearing my softball cleets.  No traction = a skinless elbow.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• A couple years ago I was getting into my car and slammed the door open into my face hard enough to leave a bruise on my lips for two weeks.
    murrayed
  • I once cut myself with a plastic knife while cutting a bagel at work.  Do you know how hard you have to saw to break skin with one of those?!  *cringe*
  • Tripped over the dog and tore ligaments in my knee.  Ugh.
  • Oh heavens bagels...

To set the scene, it's 11:00 PM, I'm fresh out of a shower, wearing only a robe.  Decide to fix myself a snack. Cut right through the bagel into the fleshy part of my thumb.  Deep enough that the lumpy white stuff was coming out.  Decide  I needed stitches.  Wrapped my hand in a towel and then realized it was 11 PM, in November, I'm pretty much nude, AND I drive a stick shift.

Doc stiches me up, tells me that "you know, next time you might want to get the pre-sliced bagels".  I had to admit, that it WAS a pre-sliced bagel.  I had done all that damage just cutting through that little 1/2" not cut section
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ouch Celles. I remember one day I got a paper cut from a cardboard box. I thought I was going to die.

In my archaeology days I was always cutting myself on my trowel (we sharpen them to razers). I would keep my trowel in my right pocket and my sharpie in my left. So whenever I would reach my right hand to get the sharpy I would slice my arm. The first week I came home from the job my roomie wanted to send me to counceling because she thought I was cutting myself.
  • I gave myself a black eye high jumping. On more than one occasion. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just outlined this in the thread, but as a child I cut through my tendon on my left index finger whilst attempting to cut cheese. 
  • I jumped on a tire swing when I was 12.  The rope broke and I broke my shoulder.

I tore ligaments in my foot walking down a hill.

Got stitches in my chin when I was 7 because I was walking by a see-saw and one of my friends thought it would be funny to push up the end so it would hit me in the chin, and it sliced it right open.

I should have had my own room at the ER as a kid.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• The worst I've done is to just fall off a trampoline awkwardly and sprain something in my knee. I mean I fall a lot, but nothing serious.

H, however, decided to play tag and hot lava with several of his friends in his high school cafeteria, meaning they couldn't touch the ground and ran around the room on top of the lunch tables trying to tag each other. He's so tall (and it wasn't a giant room) that on one of his leaps from table to table he hit a rafter in the ceiling and cracked his head. :)
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • On my first VDay with DH I fell out of our bed and separated my shoulder.  You get really weird looks when you go to the ER on VDay.

When I was a kid I put on a gorilla mask and hid in a tree to scare my brother when he was on his way home.  Instead of jumping down and scaring him I lost my balance and fell and chipped my tailbone.

Another time when I was a kid I wanted to feel what it was like to fly so I put chopsticks through my belt buckles on my jeans and then through the beams on the top of our swing set.  Needless to say the chopsticks broke and I fell and chipped my tailbone.  My poor tailbone.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_stupidly-hurt-yourself?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:ef4dd65d-f544-4e4d-af22-fd5f7a40a38cPost:f579de51-fc95-403c-ba00-2b82aaaa3360">Re: How have you stupidly hurt yourself?</a>:
    [QUOTE]On my first VDay with DH I fell out of our bed and separated my shoulder.  You get really weird looks when you go to the ER on VDay. When I was a kid I put on a gorilla mask and hid in a tree to scare my brother when he was on his way home.  Instead of jumping down and scaring him I lost my balance and fell and chipped my tailbone. Another time when I was a kid I wanted to feel what it was like to fly so I put chopsticks through my belt buckles on my jeans and then through the beams on the top of our swing set.  Needless to say the chopsticks broke and I fell and chipped my tailbone.  My poor tailbone.
    Posted by Kati0105[/QUOTE]

I'm just imagining the doctor's raised eyebrows, "And how did you sustain THIS injury, ma'am?"

I think chipping your tailbone while wearing a gorilla mask would just be one of the most humiliating things in the world.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• This also wasn't me, but one of my college roommates decided to try and get the cork out of a bottle of wine with a knife. We didn't have a corkscrew, so he just held the bottle in his hand, and stabbed downward with the knife aiming for the cork. He missed and got the webby part of his hand between thumb and index finger, then had to go to the hospital for stitches (he was already hammered).  Then, when he got to the hospital, the nurse asked for his insurance card, and while reaching for his wallet, he pulled out not 5, FIVE, beers from his various pockets and handed them to her. He was 20.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards