Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

Hello?

Re: Hello?

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_hello-42?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f6080f79-441f-4fc9-bcb5-7d1ab7014694Post:7234233f-8798-4b93-a710-037208ddbf68">Re: Hello?</a>:
    [QUOTE]No, he was just drunk at the reception.  Along with at least half of our guests. 
    Posted by EaglesBride2012[/QUOTE]

<div>OMG, a drunk person who is also A PRIEST? The horror. </div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_hello-42?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f6080f79-441f-4fc9-bcb5-7d1ab7014694Post:ce99e689-339a-4f9b-8df2-bbd3ec7b6f50">Re: Hello?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hello? : Awesome. I expressed myself badly, perhaps. Before I started college, I just hung with people in my age range and those who were in their 20's seemed inmature to me.  I admit that some of the freshmen I have in my classes make me stabby, but most aren't what I was expecting. Same for this board.  Also, I guess I just remember how I was in my 20's.  I didn't have a good head on my shoulders then, so in a way I just assumed that everyone in their 20's would be like me and my friends were then.
    Posted by Lizzieyounce[/QUOTE]

That was totally meant to be a joke on my part, but I agree with your sentiment.  Most of the 20-somethings around here are much more mature than some of the college students I interact with on a daily basis.
  • Options
    A drunk priest doesn't bother me a bit. I think your H's mom needs to keep to herself if she gets anymore complaints.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    "Halloween may have loose women scantily clad...
    But Christmas has a pregnant virgin.

Way cooler." - anna.oskar
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_hello-42?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f6080f79-441f-4fc9-bcb5-7d1ab7014694Post:6b56871f-d7f7-46ec-8b2e-17133d108d1f">Re: Hello?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I really, really tried to be a good hostess.  I had cocktail hour ready fifteen minutes early in case anyone showed up ahead of time.  Dinner was served within half an hour of the first dance and toasts, with the salads served immediately after they were finished, because I didn't want people waiting around to eat.  We provided not only favors, but edible favors, along with cake to take home.  We paid extra for mini pastries and cakes.  We paid for valet parking.  I went to every table to greet and thank everyone.  We requested no slow songs so that people would be up and dancing.  JFC.  Why complain after the fact? 

<div>It sounds like you did just fine. Was MIL a PITA about wedding plans? Gheez, why would she tell you this stuff? </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_hello-42?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f6080f79-441f-4fc9-bcb5-7d1ab7014694Post:6b56871f-d7f7-46ec-8b2e-17133d108d1f">Re: Hello?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I really, really tried to be a good hostess.  I had cocktail hour ready fifteen minutes early in case anyone showed up ahead of time.  Dinner was served within half an hour of the first dance and toasts, with the salads served immediately after they were finished, because I didn't want people waiting around to eat.  We provided not only favors, but edible favors, along with cake to take home.  We paid extra for mini pastries and cakes.  We paid for valet parking.  I went to every table to greet and thank everyone.  We requested no slow songs so that people would be up and dancing.  JFC.  Why complain after the fact? 

<div>
    </div><div>You were a good hostess. Your wedding sounds like it was fun.  </div>
  • Options
    Glad to know I'm not THAT young, haha. Thanks for the validation. Eags, people suck. I know how it feels to find out about complaints. Apparently J's grandpa and his wife complained that they had to get their early for pictures and then complained that there wasn't enough food when, WTF they were fucking food stations so hello endless servings. They were just too damn lazy to get their asses up to get a second portion. His wife is a stuck up hosebeast though so we weren't that surprised.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_hello-42?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f6080f79-441f-4fc9-bcb5-7d1ab7014694Post:a3aaf371-85cc-47a7-9e8b-da666cb70118">Re: Hello?</a>:
    [QUOTE]ALSO.  I handled not one but two crashers without blinking an eye or getting upset.  Ok, a little upset at the second one but that's because it was a private family issue with someone who was specifically not invited and therefore should not have been privy to the details.  The point is that no one outside of my immediate family or husband knew that I was upset. 

That sucks.  I'm sorry that people are asshole cumdumpsters.  Can you ask your H to ask his mom to keep any further "information" to herself?

Everything the light touches is my kingdom.
  • Options
    Ugh. NOT feelin' the one-sleeved leo, Ferrari. But cool music. Also find the whilte shoes/slippers the previous woman wore for floor very distracting. 
  • Options
    Eags, I'm angry that people are making you upset about your gorgeous wedding. 

• Options
    Eagles, we had weird complaints like that too. Don't fret, it sounds like you were a fantastic hostess. I really want all your wedding favors.
  • Options
    OHEMGEE YOU HAD BATHROOM BASKETS?!  I FLAME YOU FOR WASTING YOUR MONEY.

• Options
    Asshole cumdumpsters. Bleh. That's fucking annoying, Eags. She needs to STFU.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_hello-42?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f6080f79-441f-4fc9-bcb5-7d1ab7014694Post:c1810a40-9536-48e9-8be8-714db9e42328">Re: Hello?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Adamar and Wally, she was a PITA.  All she did was talk about her daughter's wedding.  Everything was compared to it.  She also had something to say about how expensive our venue was and how we could have saved money by having it outside of the city.  Guess what?  She paid not one thin dime.  I had several people tell me that H and I should be proud that we pulled off a beautiful wedding by ourselves.  I know we don't talk about FB on TK, but if you're my FB friend you can see that my ILs look downright fucking miserable in the picture of me, H, and them. 

<div>So basically, this is MIL's way of saying "I told you so" for not doing things they way she would have done them or did them for her daughter's wedding. </div><div>
    </div><div>Meh. Consider the source and pffft on her. </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_hello-42?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f6080f79-441f-4fc9-bcb5-7d1ab7014694Post:a3c9212e-3d95-419c-98c0-a641f341df82">Re: Hello?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks guys.  I needed to get that out.  I don't think H meant to upset me, he's just a little oblivious when it comes to his parents sometimes.  PLUS I HAD BATHROOM BASKETS AND THEY WERE A HIT. 

<div>So, I asked DD if she wanted bathroom baskets. And she says,"No, because people will just steal them." </div><div>
    </div><div>Huh? Who the hell did she invite to this shindig? Oh well. One less project for Momma Wally. </div>
  • Options
    I think people will find things to complain about when they are miserable people in general. Everything must have something wrong with it in their eyes. On that note, I'm off to bed. Good night!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_hello-42?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f6080f79-441f-4fc9-bcb5-7d1ab7014694Post:6d336e1b-efa4-4895-bc8d-11d817110d74">Re: Hello?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks friends.  You made me feel better.  I'm moving on.  Leisel, we also had almonds, <strong>because I'm a hardcore dego when it comes to tradition.  Yes I said dego. </strong>

<div>This made my peanut butter toast get stuck in my throat. Damn you. </div>
  • Options
    I don't know what dego means.

• Options
    One of the most life changeing things I learned from many years of therapy post breakdown, was that you can't please everyone and some people are unhappy, or displeased no matter what you do or how much you try to accomodate them.  It was very, very freeing to get to the point where I no longer gave a fvck about pleasing everyone.  I just do the best that I know I can.  

Eagles, I'd ask H to talk to his mom about keeping things like this to herself.   If she's capable of it.  
  • Options
    Italian, J.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_hello-42?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f6080f79-441f-4fc9-bcb5-7d1ab7014694Post:a00005cd-68d5-4e3a-8d22-a175f1df4a28">Re: Hello?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wally, I was a Dollar Tree devotee for my bathroom baskets.  I noticed afterwards that people tore into the Tums, Imodium, bobby pins, and sewing kit.  Plus like half of the starlight mints were gone.  Oh, and the flossers were opened up too. 

<div>
    </div><div>This reminds me to add Imodium to my basket list.  Thanks!</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_hello-42?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f6080f79-441f-4fc9-bcb5-7d1ab7014694Post:5bde3f1a-5574-4dde-9d19-56648b43149f">Re: Hello?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hello? : It's slang for Italian.  Some consider it a slur, but my best friend and I use it with aplomb and pride. 

Aplomb was one of the clues (and the actual answer) on Who Wants to Be a Millionaire tonight.
  • Options
    I had to Google dego. Did you know it's also slang for a gram of cannabis? Thank you urban dictionary.

• Options
    LeiselEBLeiselEB member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2012
    I had no idea that almonds were an Italian thing! And I did not know what dego meant, ha. This must prove how much closer I am to my Slovenian side of the family than the Italian side.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_hello-42?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f6080f79-441f-4fc9-bcb5-7d1ab7014694Post:5bde3f1a-5574-4dde-9d19-56648b43149f">Re: Hello?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hello? : It's slang for Italian.  Some consider it a slur, but my best friend and I use it with aplomb and pride. 

<div>OK, so now I have to ask. Do you feel the same way about 'woop'? Or is that more derogatory?</div><div>
    </div><div>ETA, I had to spell it wrong because TK is apparenty very PC.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_hello-42?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f6080f79-441f-4fc9-bcb5-7d1ab7014694Post:c093cb1c-7a93-4ed6-bc10-2255059e5bac">Re:Hello?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had to Google dego. <strong>Did you know it's also slang for a gram of cannabis</strong>? Thank you urban dictionary.
    Posted by adamar15[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>You learn something new everyday!  </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_hello-42?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f6080f79-441f-4fc9-bcb5-7d1ab7014694Post:c093cb1c-7a93-4ed6-bc10-2255059e5bac">Re:Hello?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I had to Google dego. Did you know it's <strong>also slang for a gram of cannabis?</strong> Thank you urban dictionary.

<div>That is news to me, too. Hmmm.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_hello-42?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f6080f79-441f-4fc9-bcb5-7d1ab7014694Post:602e0f12-5120-4d67-8bc4-4f0b2d384c18">Re: Hello?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Hello? : OK, so now I have to ask. Do you feel the same way about 'woop'? Or is that more derogatory? ETA, I had to spell it wrong because TK is apparenty very PC.
    Posted by willywally5[/QUOTE]

I can't think of a time when I've heard it used outside of An Officer and a Gentleman.
  • Options
    My FMIL's name is Mary Jane...is it wrong that I think of pizza and olive munchies when I hear her name?
  • Options
    I needed a flosser at my own wedding.  If I had done bathroom baskets, I wouldn't have been in that position. 

Yesterday I went to our favorite Greek restaurant to pick up salads for dinner, and normally when I go there it's after the gym or when I'm out running errands on a weekend...well yesterday I had my hair and makeup done and was wearing a skirt and nice shirt.  The owner is an older Greek man, and he recognizes us (we're there at least once a week), and he was like "Oh!  I almost didn't recognize you!  You look so nice!  Did you lose weight?"  It was sweet.  And then he gave me free spanakopita.  Moral of the story: get to know the owners of your favorite hole in the walls, and don't dress like a slob when you go there.  Or, USUALLY dress like a slob, and then sometimes don't.

• Options
    [QUOTE]I had to Google dego. Did you know it's also slang for a gram of cannabis? Thank you urban dictionary.

THAT ONE I KNEW.

Thus my confusion.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards