New Jersey

Note or poem on memorial table?

We're going to do a memorial table at our reception because FI and I have both lost some very close family members in the past few years.  We're going to have our loves ones' pictures on the table (no candles or flowers because that edges on a bit creepy and sad for me because it reminds me of a funeral), and we'd also like to have a short note or a poem (not a cheesy weddingy poem) about them being in our thoughts and prayers or something like that. 

Did anyone do anything like that?  Any ideas?

I know an easy alternative would be to write something from the heart, but if we were to do that it would wind up being paragraph after paragraph... we want something short that we can put in a frame in the middle of the all the pictures.
image 182 Invited
image 0 Are ready to party!
image 0 Will be missing the fun
image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Note or poem on memorial table?

• edited December 2011
    I would keep it very simple & let the display speak for itself.

I'm not a fan of poems in these cases; maybe something by the pictures like:

"Today we remember our loved ones, here in spirit, who brought such joy to our lives."

(just a weak example!)
    A Yankee Fan & A Red Sox Fan...
    imageimage
    "5.01.09"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I agree, I think poems kind of ruin the tone.....
    On our Memorial page in our programs, we DID use a very simple quote though:

"Those we love remain with us, for love itself lives on..." ~Unknown

and then we listed people's names and titles, such as
    "Mr. First Name Last name, Grandfather of the bride"
    BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Being married is a real thriller! =)

• edited December 2011
    Thank you!  You're both right... a poem wouldn't capture the right mood and would be too much.  I like the idea of a short quote or message and then listing their names and how they're related to us.

Perfect!  Thank you again so much!
    image 182 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing the fun
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I do like quotes if they're simple & sweet; one of my favorite re: loved ones who have passed:

“Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy.”
    A Yankee Fan & A Red Sox Fan...
    imageimage
    "5.01.09"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jchristeljchristel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm putting this in our program:

On this most special milestone in our lives, we wish to lovingly remember those close to our hearts who are no longer with us .  We know they are here with us in spirit. The wonderful memories of the precious times shared with each of them will be cherished forever.

Photobucket
  • felicia220felicia220 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Peaches, I can't believe YOU are asking this question.  I believe you wrote every one of the poems that I used for my wedding......hahaha

Oh and I am NOT helpful at all.....I got nothing.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards