Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Female ushers?

Is this a weird idea? We're having an outdoor wedding that's not particularly traditional and are running out of younger guys to include. We do have some females however who I wouldn't mind including in the wedding.

Re: Female ushers?

• Options
    Wemen can usher or honestly ushers are kinda useless. If this is about the friend you do not view as worth having uneven sides usher will be a slap in teh face if she ever find out your thinking
  • Options
    My FI has 3 younger cousins that we definately wanted to be part of our day.  They are too old to be flower girls (late teens) so we decided that they all would ushers.  It made them feel special and i don't think anyone will think twice.
  • Options
    Nothing wrong at all with female ushers, whether they are just standing around pointing the way, handing out programs, or actually walking guests to their seats. I'm sure the gentlemen guests would get a kick out of it.
  • Options
    Well, just to give you an idea of how much of a non-issue it probably is and you shouldn't worry about it, I didn't even know that ushers were *ever* gender-specific.  (Not even sure why men would have ever even had the monopoly on this).  Toss some women in.  It's the 21st century. :)
  • Options
    StageManager is completely right - ushers are quite important.  See below.  And of course you can have men and women as ushers. Ushers and Groomsmen are very different.   Groomsmen are the equivalent of bridesmaids.  They are FI’s closest friends, who have been with him for years through thick and thin.  On the wedding day, they are with him behind the scenes, getting dressed, making sure he has whatever he needs (vow note card, handkerchief, whatever), and generally making some jokes to release some before-the-ceremony tension.    Ushers greet the guests and seat the guests.  There should be one or two from the bride’s side who recognize the bride’s side guests, and one or two from the groom’s side who recognize the groom’s side guests.   This is important because there are certain seating issues involved (see website below), and the ushers should be able to take each couple/family to exactly where they should be seated for the ceremony.    The ushers will meet with the parents a few days before the wedding, and the parents will show the ushers who's been invited to the wedding from their side--ideally, these ushers already know most of those people on the list. The ushers will learn about these people so that they will be able to recognize these people as they arrive and call them by name, and know where to seat them for the ceremony (there is a whole method to where people should be seated). Ushers should be the people who know most of the family members already, and who themselves are very well known by most of the family. Ushers also assist at the reception.   From the website called TO-Be-Wed Tip:  Usher Etiquette: “Have at least one usher from each family who will recognize the special family members as they arrive." --Louise Hanlon, Classic Weddings of Buckhead   And from the website called To-Be-Wed Tip:  Crowd Control: "Have one person remain at the back of the church for the 'what ifs.' This person can assist those arriving late, those who need to leave the ceremony and need directions to restrooms, assist with children who become restless, and ward off 'lookers' who are just peeking in to see what is going on." --Carolyn Hefner, The China Closet   Also:  http://www.theknot.com/ch_article.html?Object=AI980914212720  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards