New Jersey
Options

NWR-California Style Wrapping

I just got an invite to a baby shower, the invite says "california wrapping" to wrap present in clear cellophane as an example if in a white box leave top open to view gift before shopping, and all guests are invited to view gifts while at the shower...Whats your opinion on this?  For me its not difficult because I'm a basket maker, I always make baskets for showers of stuff they registered for, but what about other people?

Re: NWR-California Style Wrapping

• Options
    edited December 2011
    that's so she doesn't have to sit there and open them all up in front of everyone.  I personally like opening presents, but I know some people really dislike it and hate being the center of attention. To each their own is my opinion.
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    kathymariekathymarie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't like it. It's like, "yeah yeah, give me the gift, dont make me work to see what it is, just fork it over" If it is for eco-friendly reasons, the cellophane wouldn't be required, or you could use reusuable grocerystore bags. I just feel like, I put a lot of thought into the gift, you can at least spend a couple seconds to recognize that.
    Married 7/19/09
    MC 9/8/10
    Baby Boy Born 7/31/11
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Kelly&TimothyKelly&Timothy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my sister is hell bent on this idea, mind you she's not engaged.  she claims she will spend the time with the guests as opposed to opening presents. i think it will be easier for me. i won't have to buy a whole roll of wrapping paper that i will use for one shower and then have to worry about not crushing in the closet until the next.  
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    As someone who HATES watching other people open gifts, I would welcome this.  I get so antsy during the gift opening portion of showers, especially when they drag it out over an hour.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    DMLJDMLJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I love openng presents and watching people open presents... I wouldn't like the whole "naked" idea
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My personal opinion (since I didn't give it) is this open the gifts, I mean like kathy said a lot of people put thought into it.  I love seeing when people open gifts, now on tiffs note I hate long openings, for my sisters wedding/baby shower, all the bms teamed up and created a assembly line, one took the gift, one took the card off and handed to  my sister (or the next person) one tore a piece off to make it easier, then handed to my sister, once she opened i wrote it down, the next one was ready.  If you have a good system its easy to get it done quickly.   Now on the other hand my sister in laws baby shower gifts took 3 hours to open, and it wasn't a big shower, i personally almost shot myself. Again to each their own, I did stuff that I probably should have per "ettiquette" but I don't care lol.  Not criticizing at all. Oh and girls, should I feel bad, its FI's cousin and I didn't invite her to my shower because we aren't that close to that side of the family (never at any holidays) and now I feel kinda bad. 
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it is rude.  The only point of a shower is to shower the person with gifts.  As such, you deserve for the person to take one whole minute to unwrap your gift, say "wow, thanks!" and have the other guests ooh and ah over it.  If you don't want to be polite by being the center of attention, don't have a shower.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I like the idea. I'm with Tif when at parties and they drag because of they take so long to open and make everyone go "ooh and ahh" when in fact they are bored. I like the idea that she wants to interact with her guests and enjoy the party. At home she can open them up and write her thank you notes to express how she feels.
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Ditto kathy and uppereast. I find it rude - the bride can spend 30 seconds opening the gift that I spent the time and money to get (plus taking a whole afternoon/day out of my weekend to spend at her shower).
  • Options
    alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    god i HATE that.  i'm sorry but i go spend $100 whatever on you and wrap nicely and go to your freaking shower you OPEN that gift, ACKNOWLEDGE and THANK me and then show off to the entire room.  how dare you just ask it's in plastic wrap so you don't have to open them.  i'd ignore her request and make your basket.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Allie I'm almost 100% sure I am doing a basket, its horrible but its 1 month before the wedding and I just can't afford to go to pottery barn kids and buy one gift in my range, I'll be much better off and send gifts after but right now I'm strapped.  I can be honest and say I am really shocked I am even invited.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i think it is a great idea!  i've recently started warpping all my baby and bridal shower gifts this way.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love to open up presents, it's a nice surprise.  Though I also tear right in to them so it wasn't that long.  If I'm spending money to give you a gift you open it!
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Cheryl, please please please don't feel bad that you can't buy a big gift from PB Kids from their registry. You should not feel pressured to give a gift that is beyond your means.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    LOL Uppereast I am a bag of "feeling bad" I swearSeriously though I don't actually feel that bad about that, I can put one mighty awesome basket together, and I LOVE baby shopping LOL.
  • Options
    apalazzoapalazzo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i'm not one for wrapping gifts. much more a gift baskets person, but i do them so that it shows off the gifts and they don't have to open it either.  i just posted my lastest on FB (link below)http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=496381&l=1538a398a2&id=1548243621  
  • Options
    apalazzoapalazzo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    apalazzoapalazzo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    take the R> out - don't know why it's posting that
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm all for it. I would so much rather enjoy the company of the person being showered and that of the other guets than get the 1-2m minutes of "attention" for the gift I bought. I'm sure I'll get a thank you note -- express you gratitude then.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    showers suck because you sit there and watch someone open gifts. I am all for the naked shower!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards