Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Child Ceremony

I went to a wedding this past weekend, and they incorporated their 6 year old daughter in her own special ceremony. My fiance and I have a daughter and she will be 17 months old when we get married, I was curious to see if anyone had any ideas on a ceremony we could do with her.

Re: Child Ceremony

• For your own safety, you should take your last name out of your signature line. Ditto PP - do a ceremony if you want, but it'll primarily be for you guys, not your daughter. A lot of people light candles with their kids or present them with a piece of jewelry, but at 17 months old she's not really going to be able to participate in that ritual. Also, if she's your biological daughter together (as opposed to his daughter from a prior relationship or something), it's not like you're blending families ... you're already a family.
  • our daughter will be almost two at the time of our wedding. it was our pastors idead for him to say something at the end about the three of us as a family, but i can't remember what it was exactly. but it thrilled me, even though its just a sillly line at the end of the ceremony! haha
  • i wish we could edit our posts!! i meant idea!
  • Honestly anything other then having her walk in is borderline creepy. Weddings are about two consenting adults. Although your getting married will effect your daughter she is both of your daughter before the wedding and after. She is also not old enough to be aware of what is going on Have her walk or be carried in by grandma dress she up in pretty dress Take family picture And then leave the adult matter of wedding for the adults who are old enough to make a choice.
  • Some people choose to have a family prayer, or reading, or a moment during the ceremony when they give their parents a gift or something. If you do anything maybe something along those lines would be an appropriate time to recognize your daughter.
  • Our dd will be 3 when we get married, and I also wanted to incorporate her into our ceremony.  We're going to buy her a flower girl type of dress and have her walk into the ceremony but that's pretty much the extent of her role.  I read an idea online that I kind of like and might incorporate it - a couple who had a child before marriage was announced at the end of the ceremony as "It is my pleasure to announce for the first time, on behalf of (child's name), that her parents are now Mr. & Mrs. XYZ"  While I know dd is neither officiating nor hosting, I like the idea of being introduced as her parents, since after FI she is the most important person in my life.
  • I think it's very important for your daughter to be involved. I have a one year old daughter of my own, and she will be involved in our ceremony. She is our flower girl, so she'll be up there in our wedding party. We aren't including her in the vows. She's also not going to be a part of our first dance, BUT she will have her own fun, special song right after we're done dancing that will be about celebrating her and our family.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards