New Jersey
Options

Ugh, I think I insulted...

the organist at our church. I regretted the song choice I made for me to walk down to--very renaissance fair/announcing a king type songSo I looked at the list of catholic church processional songs the trusty knot has and picked another I liked and emailed the lady asking if I could switch.  She said she did not have the sheet music.I asked her if I got the sheet music for her, would she be willing to learn it?  Big mistake (I am the farthest thing from a musician so i had no idea she would be so mad!)Basically she sent me a huge email saying that she would not need to "learn" anything (and yes, she used the quotes) because she was a professional organist with an extensive song list.  She could just PLAY it if she had the music without "learning."  And then starting defending the composer of the song I originally picked...I never said it was a bad song, just that we had second thoughts!I certainly didn't mean to imply that there was a possibility that she would not be capable of it, but I thought it would be rude to just assume she would be willing to play any sheet music I threw her way!

Re: Ugh, I think I insulted...

• Options
    Danes983Danes983 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Everyone is soo touchy.. So you made an honest mistake. Why did she feel the need to flame you about it? Relax Organ lady there are worse things in life.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Maybe you should have said "practiced"? I would think anyone, no matter how good they are would want to run through it at least once before performing it. When I could play the piano and read music I still made mistakes here and there if I wasn't familiar with the song.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I def should have said...I don't know...something else.  If I said practice I feel like that would have insulted her too because maybe that would imply that she 'needed' practice.in hindsight, I should have just said, "if I got the sheet music for you, would you be willing to play it"Live and learn I guess. 
  • Options
    jtheissjtheiss member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree she's being a little sensitive, but you should probably email her back and say exactly what you said in that last sentence. Just out of curiousity what is the new song you asked her to play? I find it odd that she wouldn't have sheet music if it's one of the common processional songs on the knot list! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was a bit surprised that she didn't know it either.  The original song I picked was one of the many version of "Trumpet Voluntary" and I want to switch to "Rigaudon"
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I guess, but I honestly don't think you did anything wrong. I think she's just being an artist, they're very sensitive people :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm just surprised she can e-mail. Aren't all organists like 90 years old? Hee hee. Kidding!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    maybe she was just having a bad day---oh well, hopefully she forgets about it by the wedding!and she is quite old...but I guess she is still tech savvy!  ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Almost as bad as calling someone a flootist--it's flauuutist--oh so sorry!  Did anyone see that King of Queens?  FI and I love that show.
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would just apologize and explain what you said here.I don't think you're in the wrong AT ALL, but I'd still want to keep her on my good side. =)
  • Options
    simplyceesimplycee member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My future son-in-law is a classically trained musician and I've often heard him say he needs to 'learn' a particular piece of music.  She's just being biitchy.FWIW, he often plays at wedding ceremonies and insists the bridal procession music's role is to announce the arrival of the bride. Of course, he plays whatever the couple wants, but was adamant that the processional music for their wedding have a fanfare.
  • Options
    alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    shes being a total baby.  professional or not, you still need to practice a piece you've never seen before.  i don't care if you know how to read music.  give me a break.  tell her to shove it and learn the music.
  • Options
    Kim84mKim84m member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I agree with melissa. i would just apologize and explain exactly like you have here just to keep her on your good side. i think shes being way over sensitive, an a bit unprofessional to freak out over it, but i still think its best to apologize and let it go. and if she cant go over it, that's her problem.
  • Options
    dianenjnjdianenjnj member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i think she was the rude one.  you didn't say anything insulting....and EVERYONE needs to run through a new piece...she's waaay too touchy.
  • Options
    DMLJDMLJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My dad gets like this too (he is an organist and not a 90 year old woman... hahaha!) My father is REALLY an excellent organist, i mean, he can do ANYTHING but he does get a little touchy when people want ALL this special music. He feel that he is the professional and is reccommend the best songs.... for example, lots of brides want Canon in D and we have a HUGE church- the song just doesn't fill it.... it irks him to play things that he doesn't think "work"... do i think he is right? Sometimes, but not always. Just trying to give you some insight into maybe why she was peeved.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards