New Jersey

Bridesmaids Dress/Aunt Vent-Long

Grrr.  So let me first say Bill Levkoffs dress chart is way off!  After my girls were fitted, I felt weird that their dress sizes were so big im comparison to their regular street sizes.  Everyone told me it was normal but I still felt weird, so I got the BL size chart went to the store and checked it out for myself, all correct from the chart.None of my girls have complained that their dresses are too big, today I popped into the seamstress with my sister and saw how really big it was, I was disgusted.  Heres the vent though.My aunt (my cousin is in my BP shes 16) has been doing nothing but complaining to anyone who will hear her on this.  She has complained to me making me feel bad MANY times, she complains to my mother, even complains to the seamstress in the store (not the store were the dresses were bought) to the point where the co-owner of the store called her mean to me today.  According to them the dress is HUGE and Ive heard huge with showing how big in hands from my aunt a million times.  I now feel like crap for my other BM's.I don't know who I am mad at, BL for having a shitty_size chart, the Bridal Store for not knowing the sizes better, my aunt for being so mean, the seamstress for telling me they are all wrong.I don't know what I could do to make this better for anyone.Vent over.

Re: Bridesmaids Dress/Aunt Vent-Long

• ChloeMarieChloeMarie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Don't feel bad!  It's not like you measured them for the dresses. It's out of your control. That's what the seamstress is for, she will fit the girls accordingly.  Are alterations extra? If so I would be annoyed with the dress shop if they puposely order big to make more money on the alterations. however your aunt should not be bitching at you. That's unnecessary since it's not your fault
  • kathymariekathymarie member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Dont cha just love big mouths? And for the record, I had a BL BM dress for another wedding and the size was actually as close to street size as any dress you'd pick up at the mall. So, maybe it was just fitted or ordered wrong, I dont know.
    Married 7/19/09
    MC 9/8/10
    Baby Boy Born 7/31/11
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Really don't feel bad. Every BM dress I have had, has been big. Frankly I like that and would rather alter a dress to fit me and my body well than stuff into it like a sausage. So they should get over it and not make you feel bad for something you certainly have no control over.
  • edited December 2011
    Your Aunt shouldn't be calling the store on behalf of you complaining about anything unless you ask her to do so. Maybe tell her, listen, I'd like to be in control of the situation - I understand that there's a problem but the best we can do is have the seamstress fix it.Ditto PP though. If alterations are extra and all your girls were measured and are too big - I would raise hell. There's no reason for the alteration other than them to make money in that case!
  • edited December 2011
    Bottom line is, most people usually need to get some type of alteration on a BM dress - who cares what it is as long as when they walk down the aisle all is good.  If it is $$ extra than it would be because of size then I would complain to store ordered. However since alts are being done elsewhere - not really sure what the store would do.You're aunt needs to get over it- tell her to stfu!  You really don't need the added stress and she needs to find something better to b*tch about - Don't give yourself a guilt trip - it is an annoying situation, but by no means your fault.
  • edited December 2011
    your aunt sucks cheryl :o)
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • kle0113kle0113 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is not your fault so don't feel guilty. That being said your aunt needs to stop complaining to you and a good seamstress will fix it and it will look like it was never that big to begin with. I will say that years ago I was in a wedding and lost about 30 lbs before the wedding and after the dress was ordered. Needless to say that dress practly feel off when I put it on. The seamstress was like holy crap but we will fix. They did and all was fine.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Denise91980Denise91980 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Sorry your aunt is being such a PIA, but she needs to understand that in the wedding industry that is how most bridesmaid dresses run. My friend had Jim Jhelm dresses in January and I am normally a size 8 and they ordered me a 16 (double the size). I naturally got upset because of my own insecurities and wanted to drive off a cliff (lol) but got over it when I realized they did the same thing to everyone else. Unfortunately they order the dresses to fit your biggest body part, for me is the booty, because they have to make sure the dress fits that part. Yes....the dress was still quite big on me, but I also lost some weight before the wedding, but that is pretty much the same with most BM dresses. She just needs to understand that and if she doesn't...it is her own insecurity and eventually she will get over it.
    BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    Cheryl, if you keep adding to the list of people I have to beat up/slap, I'm gonna need back up! It's enough that I'm going to be sitting ON you know who during the reception...LOL! :o)
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image182 invited
    image4 got lost on their way to the mailbox
    image127 will witness the anticipated bear union
    image51 will miss out a beary good time
    [RSVP Date 6/01] [125 min]
  • edited December 2011
    I know you girls are right I believe my aunt has complained to the store, the funny part is I thought of all people in my family that my aunt (who I am normally close to) would be the least stressful because she was so excited when I asked my cousin to be a bm.
  • edited December 2011
    You know, she probably thinks she's doing something good for you - like she's sticking up for you and trying to get the problems solved for you. I'm sure it's not malicious.
  • edited December 2011
    Jaime you're always a half cup full kinda girl :) I like it, because at this point, I am empty haha.
  • itsme32985itsme32985 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My girls are wearing BL and there sizes where pretty much true to their actual size.  Maybe the place sized them wrong? Either way they will be altered and look great, slip your aunt a xanax lol.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    BM dresses are ordered off of your largest measurement, so they are notoriously too big. I had girls who fit in a 4 hips, 6 bust and 10 waist and they'd have to order the 10 (the stores usually make you). It was so stupid and most of them had to have them altered.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards