New Jersey
Options

marriage license

ok, so I'm filling in dates on my calender of events I know are happening and when certain wedding related things need to be completed.  When do I apply for the license so that it is still valid come wedding day?  And where do I go for that? And what identification/paperwork do I bring with me?  Thanks ladies -- love you!
Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
image182 invited
image4 got lost on their way to the mailbox
image127 will witness the anticipated bear union
image51 will miss out a beary good time
[RSVP Date 6/01] [125 min]

Re: marriage license

• Options
    edited December 2011
    http://jaimelody.weebly.com/nj-marriage-license.html

See here. :)
    We registered this weekend - woot!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You should call your city hall, I called mine and they told me to make an appt for June to come in and fill out the paperwork so I can pick it up in August, it takes 78 hours to be processed but they are booked so they request appointments, after that it's valid for 30 days after pick up.
    Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 image
    My Ovulation Chart
    || Ovulation Tracker
  • Options
    Laurms15Laurms15 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I called my town hall and they told me to come in 3-4 weeks before the wedding

http://www.state.nj.us/health/vital/marriage_apply.shtml

That has all he information and you can download the form. I filled it out in advance before even going in which made things move more quickly and we had fewer mistakes.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Make sure you double-check what documents they need; we went today to apply for ours and they said they needed to see our Social Security cards or tax returns with our social security number on them, and FI didn't have his card with him (it's at FMIL's house).  They let us apply anyway and said when FI picks up the license he should bring a copy of his tax return.
    My Blog Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since 4/10, Dx: MFI IVF planned for April/May
  • Options
    kle0113kle0113 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Call your local town hall.  I have seen so many different answers to this question on this board.  We needed an appoinment, a witness, SS cards, License and I believe one other documentation.  From what I have seen on this board it really varies by town hall so your best bet is to call and verify.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    skspizz1skspizz1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I work in a Vital Statistics office actually, and the process is simple! You apply in the town where either of you live, your choice.  We recommend you come 2 weeks before your ceremony. Here's what you bring:
    1. You, your fiance, and a witness 18 years or older (this can be anyone, a family member, but has to be someone who knows both of you)
    2. Photo ID 
    3. Social Security Cards or something showing your SS# on it. 
    4. $28 fee
    5.  A birth certificate or passport is helpful but not necessary 
    (If either of you are divorced, bring your most recent divorce papers. )
    6.  The office will need to know the exact date of your ceremony, as well as the person officiating it.   Once the marriage is over, the marriage certificate that the officiant signs is then sent to the town where the wedding took place. (if this person has done this before, they know the routine!) 

You'll be asked your parents names (mothers maiden!) and their birthplaces, so make sure you know that!! 

The process takes about 15 minutes.  There is a state mandated 72 hour waiting period after you apply (we call it the 'cooling off period'!!!!).  After the waiting period, you can come and pick up your license.  Once you pick it up, it is valid for 1 month only.  Thats why we recommend doing it 2 weeks before.  If you DO choose to do this process a couple months before hand, you are welcome to do so. the Registrars office can hold the license for 6 months with it still being valid. 

Hope this helps!!!!!!!!!! 

• Options
    goaliegirlgoaliegirl member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I would call to make sure...we had to do it about 3.5 weeks before in the town were we applied.   It is probably different for every town, so just make sure to call ahead to be sure.   The rest of the info that the previous poster wrote is pretty accurate.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards