New Jersey

Invitation Addressing: How did you do it?/How do you plan to do it?

I just addressed all of my save the dates and although my handwriting is decent, they look kind of crappy.  I thought about trying to print the addresses on my printer, but that seems stressful and scares me.  I'm considering hiring a calligrapher if the price is reasonable. 
Photobucket

Re: Invitation Addressing: How did you do it?/How do you plan to do it?

• edited December 2011
    I am using www.calligraphiabymelissa.com I almost got digital, but it ended up being pretty much the same price. I think it is just nicer and more personal if you can afford it.
  • laurenross01laurenross01 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm going to write them out myself because I'm making my invites and Save the Dates by hand (out of melted records) and feel that typing would look funny compared to the artsy-ness of the actual invite.
    I sometimes over obsess after I write something and then when I look back on my handwritting a few hours later it looks awesome I'm just overly critical.

I think for save the dates though (writing STD seems very odd to me) that you shouldn't worry too much about the handwriting, for the invites yes.
  • edited December 2011
    If you look on dafont.com you can find some nice "calligrahy-like" fonts to use for printing your own invites/envelopes. I did, and I really like how they came out!

save the dates

invitations

First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_nvitation-addressing-did-ithow-plan?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:367a887b-6aa2-44d5-b0e3-ab18497c15b9Post:fe300c4a-b19c-4b73-bd88-087194c70211">Re: Invitation Addressing: How did you do it?/How do you plan to do it?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you look on dafont.com you can find some nice "calligrahy-like" fonts to use for printing your own invites/envelopes. I did, and I really like how they came out! save the dates invitations
    Posted by jaimelody[/QUOTE]

Those look great!
  • edited December 2011
    you can get clear labels and print them out on your computer. Its so easy and like the others said, you have a choice of so many different print types.
  • jchristeljchristel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Those do look great.  I just know from my experience trying to print envelopes for resumes or bridal showers I had issues, but I'm a spaz.  I also read somewhere that the heat from a printer can smear your return address.  Anyone know anything about that?

The nicest I've seen so far is $4.50/set.  I'm sending at least 115 invitations.  That makes my stomach hurt, but at the same time it could be worth it.

I'm going to check out dafont.com!

Ha Lauren, I always type out save the date :)
    Photobucket
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Invitation Addressing: How did you do it?/How do you plan to do it?:
     Ha Lauren, I always type out save the date :)
    Posted by jchristel[/QUOTE]

The first week I joined the forums, there was that crazy4u girl  (strippers and vegas) and then a poll on STDs
    I was a bit concerned as to what I had just gotten myself into :)

Also if you go to Staples, their print center should be helpful with the labels if you want to go label route without breaking your own printer !
  • edited December 2011
    Don't do labels for your wedding invitation if you can avoid it...for the std sure but not for your invitation.

The lady I ordered my invites through did it on her printer and it looked just as good as calligraphy.  You would have no idea and it was about .80 so well worth it.  
  • edited December 2011
    The one i posted is about $2.50 a set.
  • melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    None of the above. Had coordinating wrap-around labels designed.
  • lovbulldgslovbulldgs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    the person who did our invites digitally did the addressing of all envelopes.  The outer envelope was $1 each
  • edited December 2011
    The Fussy Designer has wrap arounds, like Melissa is talking about, on her blog. She's got a bunch of colors too.
  • DMLJDMLJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Special snowflake!  I am printing the envelopes in a calligraphy font VERY lightly on the envelope... then I will go over it wil a gold calligraphy pen!  I know it will take a while, but it will look nice and save money so thats the way to go for me!
  • Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I cant see paying that for a piece of paper envelope ending up in the garbage can!  But thats my opinion!  Throw $4 times 115 in the garbage and see how you feel... :)
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I printed them straight from the computer.

I screwed up on a couple and one got returned, and since the printer was acting up I just handwrote those two or three so I could send them out ASAP.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_nvitation-addressing-did-ithow-plan?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:367a887b-6aa2-44d5-b0e3-ab18497c15b9Post:efc96b0f-8ee5-49ae-a5b4-67218f0e775e">Re: Invitation Addressing: How did you do it?/How do you plan to do it?</a>:
    [QUOTE]None of the above. Had coordinating wrap-around labels designed.
    Posted by melissa82[/QUOTE]

<div>Crap!  Newbie error- how could I forget special snowflake?</div><div>
    </div><div>And I definitely wouldn't do labels for the wedding invitations.</div>
    Photobucket
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_nvitation-addressing-did-ithow-plan?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:367a887b-6aa2-44d5-b0e3-ab18497c15b9Post:ccf77a71-e076-47ef-9184-3e9bb5c70968">Re: Invitation Addressing: How did you do it?/How do you plan to do it?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I cant see paying that for a piece of paper envelope ending up in the garbage can!  But thats my opinion!  Throw $4 times 115 in the garbage and see how you feel... :)
    Posted by Reilly626[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm going to go get my calculator and my wallet.  :)</div>
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    For return addresses I printed them on the backs of the envelopes in a regular font and didn't have a problem with smearing.
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_nvitation-addressing-did-ithow-plan?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:367a887b-6aa2-44d5-b0e3-ab18497c15b9Post:7016e5db-167a-4804-81a2-b015a5ca1bbb">Re: Invitation Addressing: How did you do it?/How do you plan to do it?</a>:
    [QUOTE]For return addresses I printed them on the backs of the envelopes in a regular font and didn't have a problem with smearing.
    Posted by jaimelody[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Mine are being printed by the invitation place, I guess it shouldn't smear.  I'll talk to them.  I've already spent at least an hour trying to figure out what I want to do, I might just suck it up and have someone do them for me!!

</div>
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    Combination of choice one and four.  My mom's friend is a calligrapher so I asked her to do them and she didn't charge me.  I bought a small gift for her so I guess I got off easy ;)
  • edited December 2011
    I did printer labels for the STDs and now for my invites, I'm printing them on the computer - I spent this weekend messing up 1 envelope over and over until I got it right...now "hopefully" it will run perfectly on the rest :D
  • edited December 2011
    I'm using Calligraphy by Michele- she charges $1.50 per set, which I think is a good deal.

I understand that the envelopes will more than likely get thrown away, but it's also important to me that they look nice.

I did labels for the STDs but personally do not think they're appropriate for the invitations. The way I see it, you're spending so much money on invites, why not spend a little more to ensure they look nice?
  • edited December 2011
    I am printing the addresses directly on the envelope.  Like previous posters have said, it's taken a few tries to get it working, but once I got it going, they're coming out fine.

I toyed with the idea of doing them by hand, but my handwriting isn't consistent enough to sustain over almost 100 invites (and my arms and neck get really cramped).

Runaway Bride - Catch me if you can!
    photo by Scott Metzger
    kikijbird ~ Erica (aka Kiki) & Paul ~ 24 April 2010
    The JBirds Bio ~ Updated 03.02.10 - Invites!

Anniversary

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards