New Jersey
Options

Unique/Interesting Venue in NJ or NY?

Hi everyone,

I am looking for an interesting / unconventional venue for a 2014 wedding. I need to accomodate ~200 guests and would like to use off-site catering. Other preferences:

-Can be in NJ or NY and outer boroughs
-interesting space with character / cool architecture - i like natural materials - wood, stone, brick, metal, high ceilings,
-less is more: no curtains, molding, carpet, etc.

I've been looking all over online and have not been able to find anything. I like places like the Liberty Warehouse in red hook, Rutgers Gardens, Women's Club of Englewood (beautiful facade but too small/generic interior) but haven't found something that has it all yet or really feels unique.

Am appreciative of any help!

Thanks!

Re: Unique/Interesting Venue in NJ or NY?

• Options
    Did you mean 200+ guests or 2,014 as you stated?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_uniqueinteresting-venue-in-nj-or-ny?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:449460a7-bc81-4a4a-9178-ca29b74156bcPost:168fc28c-d06f-414b-b85b-3f371e33cc0d">Re: Unique/Interesting Venue in NJ or NY?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Did you mean 200+ guests or 2,014 as you stated?
    Posted by tiffany104[/QUOTE]

Oh that's weird! ~200 guests. Thank you!
  • Options
    maybe try an aquarium or museum.  Art museums have great architecture.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit The Knot!
  • Options
    I found this place online. I am IN LOVE with the Clubhouse, and really want to have a party there/. Check out the Loft. It holds 250 its in Montclair. you would def have to hire outside help. But it lokos awesome. wish I would have found this before my wedding!
  • Options
    If you're looking for rustic, Bayonette Farm in Holmdel has 2 barns you can rent out for weddings and bring in your own catering.  
    Anniversary Visit JerseyShore.Weddings.com
  • Options
    Bayonette Farms is GORGEOUS compared to Rutgers Gardens (I actually hated Rutgers). Bayonette Farms is $2,000 for site rental fee and you have to do everyting yourself...Unless you hire a coordinator of course.

Rutgers also told me that they have a caterer that they prefer you to use, if you choose to use an 'outside source' they charge you an fee.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited January 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_uniqueinteresting-venue-in-nj-or-ny?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:449460a7-bc81-4a4a-9178-ca29b74156bcPost:3a6a42b1-aeb3-4a51-ae4f-aaa2b544b531">Re: Unique/Interesting Venue in NJ or NY?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I found this place online. I am IN LOVE with the Clubhouse, and really want to have a party there/. Check out the Loft. It holds 250 its in Montclair. you would def have to hire outside help. But it lokos awesome. wish I would have found this before my wedding!
    Posted by Danes983[/QUOTE]

<div>I contacted this space and although very, very cool, it didn't appear to be very practical. There is no parking  in the area - you have to use the food store lot that is nearby. It would be difficult to tell 200+ people they need to park in a grocery store parking lot or metered spaces on the street.</div><div>
    </div><div>Also, I do not know your budget, but it was very, very high.  Rental of the space alone was high, and then catering was approximately an additional $150 pp, and that did not include alcohol.</div><div>
    </div><div>Flowers, linens, chairs, plates, flatware etc I believe was not included. I also understand you can only hire the one event coordinator that owns/uses the space. She will work at other places as well, but the Loft is her space. She was very friendly by my initial phone call, but it just wasn't a match for our event.</div><div>
    </div><div>So, at the start of my planning, it was very high on my lists. My family is all in Montclair and the surrounding areas, my church is in Montclair, and it seemed like a really good unique space. But, it was out of my personal budget. I personally felt that for the difference in price, the entire overall experience would not be heightened dramatically. But, the space is very pretty!</div>
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• Options
    Perona Farms in north Jersey just put in a bunch of renovations to their barn to make it a wedding venue (they also have a much more traditional banquet hall type building).  I've seen it from the outside and had a chance to look at some pictures.  It wasn't what I was looking for, but I do think the space looks really cool inside if you are going for a rustic/natural/architectural kind of look.  I don't know if they have pictures online yet (it just opened or is opening soon), but might be worth checking out.  The food is supposed to be good so it might be a good choice for a barn wedding where you still get the catering and everything included.  Good luck!
  • Options
    mallerowmallerow member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited January 2013
    Crossed Keys in Andover, NJ
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_uniqueinteresting-venue-in-nj-or-ny?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:449460a7-bc81-4a4a-9178-ca29b74156bcPost:79765004-150c-432d-a987-21f8084fcdc5">Unique/Interesting Venue in NJ or NY?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi everyone, I am looking for an interesting / unconventional venue for a 2014 wedding. I need to accomodate ~200 guests and would like to use off-site catering. Other preferences: -Can be in NJ or NY and outer boroughs -interesting space with character / cool architecture - i like natural materials - wood, stone, brick, metal, high ceilings, -less is more: no curtains, molding, carpet, etc. I've been looking all over online and have not been able to find anything. I like places like the Liberty Warehouse in red hook, Rutgers Gardens, Women's Club of Englewood (beautiful facade but too small/generic interior) but haven't found something that has it all yet or really feels unique. Am appreciative of any help! Thanks!
    Posted by boops25[/QUOTE]

I love industrial-like venues but they are not for me (I am picky lol) .. Liberty Warehouse seems like a really great space. Was the venue damaged in Hurricane Sandy?

I know your post is from a while back.. have you decided on a venue yet? I'd suggest Attic Studios in LIC or The Foundry
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards