New Jersey

Second thoughts about my gown

Hi Ladies,

Just curious if anyone can recommend some gown shops that have plus size gowns to try on.  I'm having second thoughts about my gown and think I'd like to look into others.

TIA!

EDIT: preferrably in Union, Essex, Morris counties - northern NJ.
10.ten.10 My Bio Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
image 175 Invited to Party!
image 119 Are ready to party!
image 56 Will be missing out!
image 0 Are MIA!

Re: Second thoughts about my gown

• Amerz20Amerz20 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Russells Bridal in Linden has a big variety of plus size gowns.
  • Danes983Danes983 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What does your original look like? We would love to see a pic..
  • edited December 2011
    Oh sorry, PIB. 
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • edited December 2011
    oh that dress is stunning.....I wouldn't second guess that at all!

What's making you second guess it?
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I have to agree it is stunning!  I had 2nd and 3rd thoughts about my gown, even 4th after I saw pics of the fittings.  But there is a reason you fell in love with it when you bought.  Maybe go try it back on.  It is perfectly normal to second-guess.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm pretty top heavy and chose the option of having a muslin fitting made of the dress so that I could get the best fit and raise the neckline etc etc.  My last muslin fitting is on the 13th after that it gets sent to the manufacturer and made.

I'm having a pretty big freak out b/c the dress is pretty fitted through the bodice and no matter what undergarments I've tried I just feel like its not flattering at all.  I feel like the pleating/crumbcatcher design only highlights my chest rather than camo it.  IDK, maybe I'm just panicing for no reason. 

I'm worried if the final dress comes in and I hate it that I won't have a back-up.
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • edited December 2011
    Do you have any pics of you in it? That could help us give you some advice, suggestions, or just tell you that you're "crazy"! haha
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • laurenross01laurenross01 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Your dress is beautiful! I'd say go check out other options if you feel like you need to, but the dress in your bio is amazing :)
  • edited December 2011
    I agree that the dress you already selected is beautiful, but if you're having second thoughts then try on some other gowns (and perhaps bring the one you already purchased with you, if you can... or at least pictures of you in it) so you can compare.

I second Russell's Bridal... it's in Union County.
    image 182 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing the fun
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I actually had second thoughts about my dress and wound up switching it.  I was really happy I did.  I went to Bridal's by Roma in Clifton and they were actually very understanding of my situation and let me change my order with no extra fees or anything.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't have pics. I wish I did, I figured it was only the muslin - no pics needed. Maybe I should have. 

My dress is a Priscilla of Boston, I don't think they are very "understanding" when wanting to change a dress style, it also kind of negates (sp?) the need for the muslin?  

I think I may go to look at other dresses just to sort things out.  Any suggestions other than David's bridals or russells (which I'll try). 
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • edited December 2011
    Maybe you could get rid of the crumbcatcher?  Do you feel that would help?

I would suggest checking out Bridals by Roma (it's not Priscilla of Boston nice but they have a large selection) and Bijou Bridal.  But you should try to get a move on fast if you are going to order another one.

What happens if you cancel the Priscilla of Boston?  It can't hurt to ask them if you can do a re-select.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm not exactly sure what would happen of I canceled the gown. I would think I'd be responsible for the entire cost of the gown, unless I could find another bride that would want that gown and is willing to pay the remaining 50%.  I'm not sure I'm ready to go that far.

Honestly, I don't think its the crumcatchers fault. I really just think that my boobs are too big to look good in most dresses - even normal off the rack dresses its the first thing you notice.  Perhaps I'm being too hypercritical of the dress?

I'm going to shop around this week and see if I come up with anything, I'll also ask PoB if selecting another gown is an option, who knows, they may be willing to accomodate me.
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • sid464sid464 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Wow, your dress is gorgeous.  I agree with the others that you need to feel comfortable and happy with it, so maybe take another look around if you don't feel that way about it.  I have to say I really love it though- kinda makes me second guess mine!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    aww, thank you! Don't second guess yours though.  I think part of me just loved the dress so much that I never considered it wouldn't look right.
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • felicia220felicia220 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Second thoughts are normal.  I had them when my dress came in and was a mess and then went for my fitting the the seamstress never showed.  I paid off the dress threw it in the back seat and drove straight to David's Bridal bought a new dress (on sale) and haven't stressed about it since.  If you are really that uncomfortable then there is not harm in looking around.  I'm not saying that what happened to me would happen to you but trying on other dresses made me realize just how unhappy I was with my dress.  Maybe it will make you realize how happy you actually are with your dress and make you feel less stressed about it.  Good Luck.
  • Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Pronovias in NYC had a whole floor of plus size dresses
  • kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Since you are having a muslin made, perhaps they can alter the style of the dress a little bit to be more flattering? Would some sort of straps help?
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    I wouldn't worry about having second thoughts....I am plus size, and top heavy, and also had some second thoughts. After it came in, and I got to see it again, I started to feel better about it. It's normal, especially if you haven't seen your dress in a long time.

Your dress really is stunning. I occasionally had freakouts about my dress....and since it's come in, and I have been fitted, those feelings of worrying if I picked the wrong dress have subsided.

But, if you are looking for some places to go....Arlene's Bridal has a lot of plus size gowns. Bridals By Roma (where I got my dress) was really nice too. Park Avenue Bridals, while I personally did not care for them, had several plus size samples.

Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks girls!

I didn't think of Pronovias in the city, might be a good idea.

Kewltif- I'd have to see what, if any,  modifications can be made to the actual gown design but thats a good idea. At least I wouldn't need a new dress.
    image 0 Are MIA!
  • kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_second-thoughts-gown?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:464d77fb-d7b3-4d5b-b0b7-882af5e72f65Post:45b83443-ede1-44a1-adab-c7d0dd612aa8">Re: Second thoughts about my gown</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks girls! I didn't think of Pronovias in the city, might be a good idea. Kewltif- I'd have to see what, if any,  modifications can be made to the actual gown design but thats a good idea. At least I wouldn't need a new dress.
    Posted by Carameanie1824[/QUOTE]

It's just such a pretty dress that it's a shame to waste it.  On the other hand, if you're not comfortable then you're not going to be happy.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards