New Jersey

how far is too far?

How far do you think is too far between the ceremony and the reception?  I am planning on getting married in my hometown church, but I am not a huge fan of the nearby venues.  Is an hour too far between?  Or should I try to stay about half an hour away or less?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: how far is too far?

• edited December 2011

I think an hour is pushing it. I once went to a wedding where we had to drive 3 hours to the church, and the reception was another hour away..it really sucked, and there were tons of unhappy people. You have to remember if it's an hour away just driving, what if there is traffic and whatnot, that could add more time. I would try to stay within 30 mins-40 mins.

• Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think an hour is ok - but if you go further than an hour it may be pushing it.

However, where I am from (SI), the majority of weddings we attend or friends have are in NJ because there are more options.  We have driven over an hour with traffic to some and just stayed over in the hotel if we want to drink.

Don't forget to make yourself happy above all.  Not everyone will come to the ceremony either.
  • edited December 2011
    The further away the two, the less likely people will come to your ceremony IMO. Plus, keep in mind time for pictures if you don't plan on doing them ahead of time. If it's more than say 45 minutes away, I probably wouldn't go to the church. It's a lot of driving.
  • edited December 2011
    I think an hour is fine. The last 2 weddings I went to the church and reception were about an hour away. It wasn't too bad. I normally don't complain about distance since I am used to traveling up and down NJ. Family is in south, FI and I are in north, extended family in central. Ours will be 45 minutes away and with lights, traffic, etc it could be an hour.
  • goaliegirlgoaliegirl member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Personally, I think an hour is too much.  I would say if you can keep it to 30 min that would be best.  I think a lot of people will skip out on the ceremony if they are that far apart.  
  • gibribuzgibribuz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think an hour is fine. Our ceremony and reception are an hour away from each other for the same reason. The venues near our church were either not our style or way too expensive.  I understand that a lot of people may skip our ceremony due to the distance but I am fine with that. 
    Anniversary
  • uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think an hour is too much too.  30-45 minutes seems like the absolute max, and even then I'd try to have the out of town hotel somewhere in-between.
  • Danes983Danes983 member
    edited December 2011
    It really depends on your timeline IMO. If you have a 3pm ceremony and then a 6 or 7pm reception and hr is good because people will be preocupied instead of thinking about how long the gap is.  if there is a smaller gap I think its too far.
  • Danes983Danes983 member
    edited December 2011
    It really depends on your timeline IMO. If you have a 3pm ceremony and then a 6 or 7pm reception and hr is good because people will be preocupied instead of thinking about how long the gap is.  if there is a smaller gap I think its too far.
  • rachaelb16rachaelb16 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think an hour is too far.  Over the summer I went to a wedding in which the ceremony and reception were an hour apart and everybody I talked to was very annoyed by it.  Thirty minutes is the max that I would choose between the two places, but everyone in my family thought even that was too long.  I feel for you.  I also don't really love the venues near my church, but when it came down to it I chose the church my dad wants to see me get married in and a venue that isn't exactly my style but has great food.  Good luck!
  • leah2bleah2b member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    An hour seems pretty far.  Not to say that I wouldn't do it if need be, but I would find it unusual. I don't think it is the worst thing in the world though.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards