New Jersey

Is it too early for a makeup trial?

I'm not getting married until next October but I'm wondering if it's too early for me to get a makeup trial done. I want to be happy with her work before I book her and since I'm such a planner..I want to get it checked off my list sooner rather than later.

I have no idea what my dress will look like and we haven't decided on a bridesmaids dress yet. Do those things matter and/or contribute to how my makeup will look?

HELP!

Re: Is it too early for a makeup trial?

• Denise91980Denise91980 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My hair and make-up artist recommended me having the trial a month prior to the wedding because looks and your taste can change, and you may not remember the look. I would wait, but that is just me. 
    BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    If you're wanting a trial bc you are unsure if you want that artist, I think you are fine.  If you are doing one just to solidfy a look, then I'd wait.
    How I unwind? The FI and I watch old TV shows Photobucket 187image 124image 48image 15image RSVP Date March 31 Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kristen8040kristen8040 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It was suggested to me to have my trial around the same time I'd be getting married the year before since that's typically what your skin will look like at that time.  For instance, if you're getting married in the summer and plan on having a tan, it's not that smart to get our trial in the winter since the coloring of your face will change during those months.
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker imageimage
  • NJhousewife22NJhousewife22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had mine about 10 months out and it worked out well for me. We took tons of pics of the styles and both kept copies so we could remember. it was important for me to get whol I wanted, so I figured I had to start early. The good Jersey make-up ladies seem to book up so fast!
  • HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I just had my trial 2 weeks ago so I could see the artists work.  I'm having another one a month before the wedding.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I started my research around 9 mos out since I wanted to narrow down my choice btwn airbrush vs. traditional makeup.  Going early couldn't hurt but keep in mind, like previous posts said, your skin color may change down the road due to a tan (if you tan).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_early-makeup-trial?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:9a5c6e7b-b1c0-4dd9-a2d7-c7d150645226Post:2ccf7235-092a-407a-8110-3b7c8dc866a3">Re: Is it too early for a makeup trial?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you're wanting a trial bc you are unsure if you want that artist, I think you are fine.  If you are doing one just to solidfy a look, then I'd wait.
    Posted by futuremrsdavies[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This.  Makeup artists book up quickly, so if you're looking to do a trial to solidify one, book your trial now before the person you want gets taken!

</div>
  • agu101agu101 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_early-makeup-trial?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:9a5c6e7b-b1c0-4dd9-a2d7-c7d150645226Post:819ef1af-1e99-4e83-a0e9-fb0a75cda2ba">Re: Is it too early for a makeup trial?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Is it too early for a makeup trial? : This.  Makeup artists book up quickly, so if you're looking to do a trial to solidify one, book your trial now before the person you want gets taken!
    Posted by eleven29[/QUOTE]

<div>I did this as well.  I'd heard awesome things about Jeanine Mangan, but wasn't quite ready to do a full on trial, as I still don't have a dress or look picked out yet. However, knowing how fast she books up, I reached out to her and see if she would do a trial just so I could get an idea for her style and how she works.  Jeanine held my wedding day for me until I had the trial- that was huge!  I picked a night I knew I'd be going out so I'd have a reason to get my makeup done, and justhad Jeanine do me up for the night. I loved her and her style, so I knew I'd be in good hands for my wedding day.  FYI- I booked her 15 months out, and she was already getting booked up for Sept next year when my wedding is happening.</div>
    Anniversary Visit JerseyShore.Weddings.com
  • edited December 2011
    I agree about having your artist trials done now and booking early... Jeanine Mangan was booked 10 months before my wedding, and I wasn't getting married in the summer.

Find someone now, then do a second trial with her closer to your wedding.
  • LissyM83LissyM83 member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're trying arists out in order to make a decision re.: who to book, then it's definitely not too early. If you're trying to figure out a look for your wedding day, then you should definitely wait until it gets closer to your wedding date. I booked my makeup artist already but plan on going for a "day of look" trial a month/few weeks before  my wedding
    September 2012 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing about October-Yankees Playoffs! image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ginabean82ginabean82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do it now.  I have 6 months to go and I just started and all three of my top choices were already booked.  I'll probably just end up going to the mac store in the mall...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards