New Jersey

Wedding band prices- help!

Hello and happy Friday!

My fiance and I have been looking for our wedding bands. The prices we are seeing for his ring are in the ballpark of what we were expecting, but the prices for my band seem high... or maybe I'm just out of touch, haha. I just wanted some opinions because I want to know if I should look elsewhere and not just go with this one jeweler. I was shown a 14k white gold band with almost a half carat of small diamonds going partially around the band- $799. And that was the smallest one I saw... all the others had bigger diamonds. Like I said, any input would be great- I just don't want to find out later that I could have found the same thing for cheaper somewhere else! :-)

~Emily
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Wedding band prices- help!

• mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I paid $250 for FI's white gold ring. No diamonds, no details, just a plain ring.

He paid $200 for my palladium ring with some designs on the outer part (again, no diamonds). Since I don't have diamonds that probably won't help you, sorry. Check out bluenile.com and maybe that will help you compare.
  • JennM31JennM31 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we went to Royal Jewelry in the Jewelry exchange at woodbridge. My band is just solid white gold and it was $100. My fiance wanted bling, so his is a track setting with 5 stones totalling 1.25 carats (good size diamonds, but still small) for $955.

So it all depends on where you go, and the 4 c's.
  • Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are probably paying more because we are using a reputable jeweler in Westfield.  A frient at work went to Zales and she said the rings are like $200 if you are trying to keep it on the low end.
  • Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine may be outrageous in other's eyes since I'm having it match my ering setting.

But for fi, the jeweler mentioned white gold is between $200 - $400 (assume no diamonds) and platinum is more in the $900 range.
  • edited December 2011
    FI's ring was 250, white gold, thin, no diamonds or designs and so he really likes it.
    I was trying to find something to match my ering and it was about going to be about 1,200. I found a ring I loved and matched perfectly for 450, plantium, three diamonds in an estate sale
  • melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that sounds reasonable (assuming they are good quality diamonds). I bought two bands, but each was .5 carats in platinum and significantly higher priced.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't think that's too bad. I have a white gold band with diamonds all the way around it. I paid $1200. Mine was also custom made to be very thing so it was fit with my engagement ring.
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone for you input! I feel better about the price now because I think it's what I would pay no matter where I went. Now I'm just trying to decide if I want to do the one she showed me, OR get the one to match my e-ring, which is even "daintier." With that one, I don't know how much I would wear it alone because it's quite thin. Decisions, decisions..... =)

See... this is my e-ring- you can see how thin the band actually is...

• edited December 2011
    Beautiful e-ring.

Mine is fairly thin; I didn't want it to overwhelm my solitaire.

RE:  "I was shown a 14k white gold band with almost a half carat of small diamonds going partially around the band- $799." 

As previous posters mention, it can vary when there are diamonds involved, of course, because of the "4 C's." 

My band is 18K gold, an eternity ring (of small baguettes all the way around), 1carat & definitely high quality in terms of color, clarity, etc... our jeweler charged us $950. 

I"d do a little more comparison shopping; people are eager for business (as the jeweler told me the orther day, it was a slower holiday season).
    A Yankee Fan & A Red Sox Fan...
    imageimage
    "5.01.09"

• Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Emily- Your ring is very similar to mine, my band is thin like that, its an antique look undercarriage with filagree also.  I think Im having mine made- 2 thin bands to match but in the middle a filagree/diamonds center. I want to stay in the antique looking family, but my ring will be a few thousand, but I figure I  will have to wear it for life, I better love it!  I cant get a a ring that goes with my engagement ring because my diamond is a square so it will become my right-hand ring. Smile
  • edited December 2011
    I have a very similar ring and my band is very thin like that.  My jeweler was able to make a very thin wedding band that almost is able to sit flush with the e-ring.  It's very dainty, but I like it like that. I didn't want to take away from my e-ring. I probably won't normally ever wear my wedding band alone...I just like having both rings on...but I can wear it alone and even thought it's thin and dainty, it still looks pretty. Just simple pretty.
    ~Chelsea~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Thank you ladies... at this point, I don't feel like I'll ever wear my band alone either. My mother always tells me that will change... with babies, kids, running around, etc...haha. I disagree with her, but you know how mothers are! I think I need to try a few more on, including the match to my engagement ring, just to get a better feel for what I like. I feel better about the price, so thank you all for helping with that. =)
  • melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My band is very thin as well, which is why I got two rings. I didn't want something to sit flush with it because it just made it look like one thick band to me, which I didn't like. So getting one on either side balanced it out without taking away from the ring at all and if I don't wear my e-ring, I can just wear both bands together.
  • edited December 2011
    Mine was $999 down from $1300. It's pave setting half way around with diamonds. IMO, jewelers are def. one you can hassle with because after you start looking around at similar prices, they basically set their own. I was happy with the price we got for my ring, but FI's was white gold brushed finished no diamonds and 799. But his is much heavier. Mine is thin as well to match my ering.
  • edited December 2011
    I got a Scott Kay platimun band with teeny diamonds half-way around on sale for $1,100.  "Regular" price is $2,400. 
  • uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine was around $500 (platinum band with some detail, but no stones) and his was about $1400 (simple platinum band).
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks everyone- your input is greatly appreciated, as always! =)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards