North Carolina
Options

Dress shop recommendations

Ok, It is time to do what I have been dreading the most... dress shopping!  My mom is coming down to visit MLK weekend so we can go looking for a dress (did I mention how much I am not looking forward to this?)

I have made a few appointments, but am looking for more places in the Raleigh/ Durham/ CH area.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Re: Dress shop recommendations

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi! I found my dress at the Bridal Boutique of Raleigh on Hillsborough Street.  It's small but worth stopping by, in my opinion. Their sister store is is MacGregor Village in Cary and it's much bigger.  If your budget is a little higher, check out Victorian Rose in downtown Raleigh. They have gorgeous dresses. And as for the big warehouse types, I really loved the Bridal Mart in Burlington. We went about an hour before they closed one night during the week, so we were basically the only customers there. They have racks full of beautiful dresses. Oh! And I loved Carolina Bridal World in Smithfield, too, if you're willing to drive there. HTH! 

PS - Don't forget to price-check with Pearl's Place before you order!
    image Matt & Ashley 5.08.10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    do you have a budget for your dress?  that definintely helps for the recs.  For some reason I thought you already had your dress...i'm losing it!
    image Ellie and Morgan
  • Options
    alliegator8alliegator8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Ha I wish I did!  It is the last major thing we have to do.  I want to spend as little as possible. $500-600 max, but hoping for $400.  I know that eliminates a lot of places.  At this point it is just getting ideas.  If I find something I really really like but can't afford it, I can have something made.

I am looking for a destination gown and they seem t be cheaper.

• Options
    meredithl618meredithl618 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In that price range, I think you should def. check out David's Bridal. Some of their stores have bad reputations, but I had a great experience with the staff at the one at Southpoint in Durham. They've gotten a lot of new and pretty stuff in for next year! 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think the one in McGregor village would be good - I'd also try bridal mart.  Last time we were in the one in McGregor they had a HUGE sale selection
    image Ellie and Morgan
  • Options
    ktyd8ktyd8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also recommend checking out David's Bridal.  I just got my dress there for $299!! I went to the one in Raleigh on Capital Blvd and they were super helpful even though I didn't make an appointment.
    ~Kaitlyn~
    Anniversary
    My Chart
    DX PCOS 2002 @ age 14
    DX Diabetes 3/12
    My Diabetes Blog
    TTA until ?
  • Options
    wlfpkbridewlfpkbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been to Davids on Capital and I had a good experience there. I've also been to Macgregor Village. I didn't have a bad experience there but it wasn't great either. The sales associate that worked with me wasn't very helpful and we had to go looking for her a few times. Luckily I had my MOH with me so I didn't really need her. Check online with Jays bridal before you order. Since they're located in FL you won't pay sales tax and they run free shipping specials often. I saved over $150 by ordering from them. Pearls place had it for about the same price too so you can also try them. GL
  • Options
    alliegator8alliegator8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I looked at the David's Bridal in Southpoint (I work at the REI next door) and they had a lot of big poofy dress. Not many smaller destination gowns.  They had some great stuff on the website, but ordering through the site seems like huge hassle, and the stores will not support online orders at all: alterations, questions, etc.   So DB is out.  I'll try the other places you guys recommended.

Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    ktyd8ktyd8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think David's Bridal has all the dresses that are online in the store. I wouldn't give up on David's Bridal, you have to tell them what you want. When I went they tried to put me in flowy, beachy type dresses like you want. They had a lot!
    ~Kaitlyn~
    Anniversary
    My Chart
    DX PCOS 2002 @ age 14
    DX Diabetes 3/12
    My Diabetes Blog
    TTA until ?
  • Options
    edited December 2011

i agree w/ pp - bridal mart! i was moh in a friend's wedding  and she purchased her dress and all of our bm dresses there. it can be a little busy on the weekends but the staff is very helpful. no children allowed out of the lobby too so you won't be stepping on kids. the dresses are ordered from the designers so there's not much mark up. we are planning a trip out there soon.

alterations were a bit tricky... there was some ribbons that we couldn't get them to line up until the 3 visit. they were very nice and quick once they understood the problem, but if your alterations are complicated you might want to have someone else do them.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards