New Jersey
Options

Catholic Church to get married in

We have less then a year and my FI is only baptized. I have all my sacraments. The church I belong to said No because we are getting married in 6 months and they want a years notice. I MUST get married in a church - not the venue/beach/etc. HELP!

Re: Catholic Church to get married in

• Options
    edited December 2011
    where are you located? have you checked other locals churchs near you?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Is your date flexible? Can't you push it back?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Are you having a nuptial mass or a ceremony only? If you don't go the route of nupital mass, i think you only have to be baptized.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Diocese of Trenton requires at least a 12 month notice. I don't know where you are located, but if the church is part of DoT you have to give a year, no exceptions (at least according to my church and the DoT website)
    *~allie~*

• Options
    edited December 2011
    What about a non-catholic church, methodist etc?
  • Options
    ev4149ev4149 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The rules for each diocese are different.   Check the rules for each diocese.  Also, if you are getting married in North Jersey or South Jersey, check out New York or Pennsylvania.  I know for a fact that waiting time in Brooklyn is only 6 months.  If you are willing to get married in a church in New York or Pennsylvania, and have your reception in NJ, that may work.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Try Holy Family in Florham Park, we almost couldn't get a date at our church, so we tried our parents church, which is Holy Family, and they were very flexible and seemed like they had a lot of dates open. They aren't that strict either.
  • Options
    viviannacviviannac member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know where you are located but try Sacred Heart in Rochelle Park, NJ. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    dmoney79dmoney79 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we got married at st anne's in fair lawn
    i'm not catholic, but mh is....they had no problem with it (well, our priest didn't)
    i was baptised there, but had my communion and confirmation and grew up with a lutheran church....
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Sorry just realized you said Catholic, if it winds up being an issue and you can't find any Catholic Church you could probably go for the other Christian option and then get it recognized, I do not believe the issue of him not having all sacraments will matter I know lots of people who only have one of the couple with all of theirs and are fine in Catholic.

• Options
    Pink7781Pink7781 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Amilya, since you are only 6 months out I think you're going to have a very tough time finding a parish to marry you . What diocese is your home church in? Maybe you can try calling the diocese and see if they can offer you any more information or other options.
  • Options
    rachaelb16rachaelb16 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Holy Trinity in Hackensack allows less then a year.  They also don't mind if one of you don't have all of your sacraments.
  • Options
    LolyalyssaLolyalyssa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try joining a parish by going to the New Parishoners Mass.  You ususally have to call the church secretary and give them a heads up.

Then, after you are a member, explain that you want to get married and see if it works.

This is a tricky situation. 

FYI the Parish in Chelsea in Manhattan really liberal.  They may be willing to allow it.
  • Options
    LolyalyssaLolyalyssa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_catholic-church-married?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:a8b3f2d4-7f32-4d11-85d5-d89865f63d12Post:dd93cd94-2a69-465f-ba61-6fc3bf28f15d">Re: Catholic Church to get married in</a>:
    [QUOTE]Are you having a nuptial mass or a ceremony only? If you don't go the route of nupital mass, i think you only have to be baptized.
    Posted by jgido@aol.com[/QUOTE]

My priest (Diocese of Newark) told me that the only difference between a wedding mass and a wedding ceremony is Eucharist.  And if the bride or groom have not had 1st communion you can still do a mass but that one doesn't take communion. 

They have no difference in the eyes of the church its really a preference of the bride and groom if they want communion or not.  But either way, you can only take communion if you have received your first communion in the Catholic Church.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Amilya - I just PMed you!
    image 182 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing the fun
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    A friend of mine is having a 7 month engagement, she had to call a few churches but did find one willing to let her get married there.  Try calling around...
    My Blog Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since 4/10, Dx: MFI IVF planned for April/May
  • Options
    carlaspeedcarlaspeed member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    st joseph in west orange, father richard had no problems for less than a year prep ccourse, just do it asap, because pre-cana and the other prep course fill out fast!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Thanks everyone...
    To answer a few questions - I live in Jersey City but my reception is in Sea Bright so IDC where the ceremony is at this point. I wanted to try to have it DTS to make it easier for our guests but like I said - at this point that might not be an option.
    Date is not flexible because we already have the date set with the venue.
    I don't mind not having a catholic mass witout recieving the host.

I am going to try a few of the places that were mentioned - thank you!!!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think if you need to get married in 6 months, you are going to have a VERY hard time finding a catholic church to marry you.  Fi's, who is Catholic, church required at least a year's notice for our engagement...not to mention the FOCUS test and Precana.  My suggestion...if you have to get married in a church....find a non-catholic church to get married in within the next 6 months.  In the meantime...do all the steps that the catholic church is asking, then in a year, re-new your vows in the catholic church so that your marriage is recognized by them.  All you would need is to get a vow renewal thing from the state, and 2 witnesses (I had a friend who had to do this because her previous marriage was not annulled in time for their wedding...so 3 months after their wedding, they were "married" in the catholic church).

FYI...if your Fi was baptized as a Catholic, they are going to require him to do Adult classes and to go through all the sacraments before they will marry you.  Which means you will not be able to be "married" in the catholic church until after Easter next year.
    Holly & Brendan
    Wedding date 10/8/10
    EDD 5/9/13 Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've been looking into a few things and made some phone calls. I found Rutgers in New Bruz and I think I am going to use their chapel. I am going tomorrow to speak with them. Wish me luck!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards