New Jersey

Guest Book - Yay or Nay?

I am not going to have a guest book.  I hate signing them at other events and I'm not going to keep it as a keepsake.  I know some people do creative things or like sentimental items, so I am just wondering what your opinion is.  If you had one, how have you used it post-wedding?  Any other varieties of a creative guest signing idea?  Thanks!!

Re: Guest Book - Yay or Nay?

• kristen8040kristen8040 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    At first we were going to do a photobook for people to sign, but my mom got us a traditional guest book, so I felt guilty not using it.  Then DH came up with the idea of using a baseball bat since he's a college coach.  It was a huge hit!  We have it in a display case in our basement.

Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker imageimage
  • edited December 2011
    I had a poster made on Etsy with the lyrics to the first verse and chorus of our first dance and then had that matted and framed. Guests signed the matting and we will hang it in our room.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • GiaspoGiaspo member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We weren't going to do it until about a week before the wedding. I didn't just want a book of signatures, so we made a sign that said "Please sign our guestbook and tell us your secret... for a happy marriage". We got some great (and surprising) responses.

EDIT:  Just adding a photo.  And... you can see our 1 gift... I think that was a post a few weeks ago. 

• cindyn9178cindyn9178 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I made a book on Mixbook with a bunch of photos and used that for the Guest book, just so it would be something a little different.. but I haven't done anything with it, other than read it the next day (and not many people signed it.. those that did basically just signed their name instead of actually writing a message to us).
  • buttrflyahbuttrflyah member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I want to do a frame of our last name in photos.  So basically each "letter" is really a photo of something that looks like that letter.  I used to really love photography so I figured it could be something fun for FI and I to do together, and then have matted.

This might not be the best example because its kind of hard to read, but you get the point!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We did a photobooth scrapbook. Then somehow it got misplaced. Oh well. Honestly, a guestbook isn't necessary.The cards almost all of your guests will give you fill that purpose. And chances are, not all of your guests are going to sign in. If you feel you should have one, people are more likely to sign if it's something creative or clever.
  • edited December 2011
    I just went to my niece's wedding this past Saturday. She is having a quilt made so they had a half the quilt laid out on a table and each guest/couple/family signed a square. She also used some of the material and had makeup bags made for her bridesmaids. Not my cup of tea but I thought it was creative and different. I had never seen that before.
  • shoebieshoebie member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our photo booth is our guest book :o) Each guest will get to write a note next to their photo strip
  • sgdc2011sgdc2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did the traditional engagement album guest book.  While it came out beautiful and is fun to look at, not many of the guests signed it because they didn't know it was there.  Oh well.
  • Cinderella30Cinderella30 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did not have a guest book and, honestly, it wasn't missed.
  • rlavachrlavach member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm doing a variation of a thumbprint tree. I had my fiance draw a tree with lots of scrolling vines, then traced it onto textured felt. I cut it out and attached it to a large picture frame. I cut out pieces of paper in various flower shapes for people to sign and then attach to the tree branches. I'm going to write our names & wedding date on the bottom and hang it in our new apartment. The pic below is not the most recent, but it gives you an idea.

• edited December 2011
    So FMIL bought us a guest book already....she went to Lenox and bought it, so I feel guilty not using it. I was thinking about decorating the front ot if and using it as our photobooth album for the wedding day. I think that guestbooks get missed at weddings.
  • edited December 2011
    This thread is pretty cool! Lots of great ideas. We were thinking of doing a wish tree. I've just been trying to dabble with how we can save all of the little wishes that get hung on the tree.
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • rlavachrlavach member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_guest-book-yay-nay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:a9cfc8aa-cd8c-4a30-950e-d0ac3216e3d3Post:ee517714-2c37-422e-8347-202dfa75a2c1">Re: Guest Book - Yay or Nay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]This thread is pretty cool! Lots of great ideas. We were thinking of doing a wish tree. I've just been trying to dabble with how we can save all of the little wishes that get hung on the tree.
    Posted by TripleJTobe[/QUOTE]
    I've seen some people put them in a scrapbook (which to me, is too close to a traditional guest book), and others make a cool collage and frame it.
  • edited December 2011
    Our photographer is making our guesbook out of some of our e-pics we took.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_guest-book-yay-nay?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:a9cfc8aa-cd8c-4a30-950e-d0ac3216e3d3Post:c14c8322-25bb-4344-888a-2feaae1826fe">Re: Guest Book - Yay or Nay?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Our photographer is making our guesbook out of some of our e-pics we took.
    </strong>Posted by CaramelBride973[/QUOTE]

Mine is doing the same thing. We chose 20 of our epics and it will be in color and black and white. Im actually really looking forward to seeing it. 
  • blueikaosblueikaos member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'll be doing a thumbprint tree so we can frame it and hang it up.
    I won the design off a blog.  I just have to get it printed out.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards