New Jersey

"You've won a gift..." phone call...

So I don't usually answer my cell when I don't recognize the number as I get a lot of pestering wedding vendors.  I did tonight and it was someone telling me I won three prizes and my name was picked from some bridal show I attended.  Basically, to get my prizes, I need to attend a 1 1/2 hour sales pitch from their company but they said that theres no obligation to buy and I'll still get my gifts.  I really don't want to waste my time and think its a bunch of bs but my fiance is somewhat interested in checking this out. 

Anyone ever get these calls and actually attend the sales pitch? 

Re: "You've won a gift..." phone call...

• edited December 2011
    no i didn't the gifts always have catches & my time is worth more than some free gifts. I think the bridal show sells your number to outside vendors b/c I got a similar call after I attended a show.
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011

Yea, I attended one bridal show when we were first engaged and ever since I get calls just like that constantly...Chef World or something is a big one.  There are never worth your time.

• melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    it's a scam
  • edited December 2011
    I got the Chef World call too. I never went to the showcase though, it seemed like a scam.
    Photobucket

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Its from Bridal Shows... or even signing up for one and not attending gets me those calls...
  • edited December 2011
    chef world is a huge scam.. you have to buy products that total a 1000 before you get your trip or prices... its suchhhh a waste of time that
  • uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You didn't win anything.  Like everyone else whose contact info they obtained, you are eligible to receive something in exchange for attending their sales presentation.  If the "prize" was a $500 amazon gift card then sure, I'd give them my time.  If the "prize" is three of their crappy knives, then no thank you.  I'm guessing the "prize" is more along the lines of three crappy knives than something that is actually of any real value.

• edited December 2011

That's what I figure...well, good news, it took the Knot and my fiance's father to convince him the same.  :)  I really have to screen our calls...

• DandT1206DandT1206 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    omg i used to get call constantly... so annoying.  i refused every time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • felicia220felicia220 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_youve-won-gift-phone-call?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:ad4a2238-01fb-40d4-9232-c425c0d08907Post:84901160-3d85-46a0-bdaf-8b5b84b5a21d">Re: "You've won a gift..." phone call...</a>:
    [QUOTE]it's a scam
    Posted by melissa82[/QUOTE]
    <div>
    </div><div>This!</div><div>I got a similar phone call and I have NEVER gone to a bridal show(well not as a bride I use to work them years ago as a vendor), I would love to know how they got my number.</div>
  • JulepheniaJulephenia member
    edited December 2011
    Actually, we went to the Chef World thing. (It was REALLY annoying.)

However, we did buy the pans (FI loves to cook), because at the time, we weren't planning and desperately needed new cookware. They're fairly decent, you can customize the package, and it worked out for us.

On the other hand, the calls are annoying. If you don't have the time, don't go. If you do... you can always walk out.

Edit: It might be from your bridal shop. I got the call after I bought my dress.
  • felicia220felicia220 member
    edited December 2011
    DB shouldn't be selling your info (I believe we have the same dress)
  • JulepheniaJulephenia member
    edited December 2011
    I think they shoved a bunch of papers at me, and I was waiting for my mom, so I filled out the "Win a Dress" form and a bunch of others.
  • edited December 2011
    Why would DB give you a "win a dress" form while you were in the process of buying a dress?  

That just seems shady. It's as if they say "you're buying a dress from us that you must like, but here's a chance to win another"? 
    image Tuffy
    RIP Little Man October 15, 1995 - June 1, 2010
  • edited December 2011
    If you had actually won something at a bridal show, it would have been given to you right then and there. This is a scam.
  • edited December 2011
    I get so many of these calls, Chef world finally stopped calling a couple of months ago but now I get some others. And they act all surprised that I want to pass on their great free gifts......
    Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 image
    My Ovulation Chart
    || Ovulation Tracker
  • edited December 2011
    Yup... I got this call all the time and always asked them to take my name off the list- their response "but you WON a free gift!" "I don't care"
    *~allie~*

• edited December 2011

I actually had a good experience with one of these types of things.. I think it was chef world, but can't be sure as it was about 6 months ago.  For attending the hour long presentation we got a grocery coupon card (which has already saved me like $50 when food shopping) and a free 3 night 2 day hotel stay.  They have a lot of options for places to go and we've made plans to go to Canada for a few days using this offer.  So I would say it depends on the company but it was no more a scam than the timeshare presenations where you get some sort of gift for going and sitting through a presentation.  I didn't have to buy anything to get the deals either. 

I usually don't do these types of things but I was curious lol

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards