North Carolina

Bump in the road

Hi Ladies,

I haven't posted in like a week, I got on for a moment yesterday but didn't get a chance to post anything. FI seriously made me age 5 years this weekend. He went riding at Busco Beach in goldsboro, and wrecked his dirt bike... another rider on a 4 wheeler wasn't paying attention and pulled out infront of him and they hit head on, J said he tried to stop and lay his bike down so the hit wouldn't be so bad, but there wasn't enough time.

Needless to say, he hit his handlebars, flew over the 4 wheeler guy, then his bike flew over the 4 wheeler guy after him, almost landed on J too...

His friend that was with him called his wife (because she has my number) and said, I need you to call Holly, Jason got hurt and is being taken to the hospital. She asked him what was hurt and what hospital, and he says, I'm not sure. Can you imagine getting a call that he's hurt, but they don't know how hurt, and they don't know what hospital the ambulance took him to!? I was hysterical.

So, we spent several days at the hospital down there, he shattered his wrist and had to have surgery (there's a pic in my blog, he has a terminator arm now) broke his nose, broke his jaw and all of his bottom front teeth are broken and have to be pulled and some sort of expensive teeth implant thing has to be put in. NICE right?

But really I'm just thankful and happy that he wasn't more seriously injured... it could have been alot worse!

So since he will be out of work for 8 weeks, I've designated him my wedding DIY helper, I'm not sure how much he can do with one hand, but I do plan on putting him to work! :o)
Photobucket
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Bump in the road

• wlfpkbridewlfpkbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's awful! But you're right, it could have been much worse. 

:::VIBES::: for a speedy recovery
  • pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Whoa, that's scary.  I can't imagine either making or receiving that phone call.  Glad that he's mostly OK and recovering. 

The pic made me shudder.  Is he left-handed?
  • edited December 2011

That is awful.  I hope he has a fast recovery!

• edited December 2011
    No, he's right handed, thank goodness. But, he's a mechanic (or an Auto Tech as he likes to be called, lol) so I'm a little worried since he works with his hands ALL day. I'm sure he will definitely have to go thru PT and everything. Hopefully it will heal fine.

Thank you ladies for the well wishes though. I've missed chatting on this board the last few days. It's like I have two children to take care of now instead of my two year old... so I've been super busy!
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    oh my goodness!! that is awful, high hopes for a speedy recovery!
  • edited December 2011
    Oh, and I forgot to mention... 4 wheeler guy didn't stop! He kept on riding. The cops were looking for him, but they never found him. :o(
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011

My FI and I ride 4-wheelers quite a bit at Busco, and it can be dangerous.  We have had a few close calls.  There have been several deaths out there, and a lot of serious incidents.   Typically, there is a lot of drinking going on and then riding.  Although, it is against the law, and the rules.  People do dumb things.

I hate that this happened, because it could have been avoided if others just watched where they were going.  I'm glad he didn't lose his life.  Praying for him and a speedy recovery. 

PS-we were not out there this past weekend. 

• edited December 2011
    Thank you! I've never been out to Busco with him, because it's not really my thing, but he told me he's selling his bike once he fixes it (it's pretty banged up now) because he doesn't want to put me or Natalie thru this ever again.

I feel bad letting him do that, because it's always been his life, he used to race motorcross as a kid, but I don't ever want to go thru this again either. I'm sure I can compromise on a 4-wheeler if he wants one of those, they seem a bit safer than a bike.
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Well, I really can't say they are safer than a dirt bike.  You can go on more treacherous terrain with them.  All you have to do is flip it, break your spine, and kill yourself.  We've rolled them before going up steep slopes.  One fell on top of me when I fell off into a mud hole. 

I'm glad he had someone with him.  I always tell my FI to go with people if I can't go.  I would rather ride in groups to be on the safe side.
  • pirategal03pirategal03 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    4-wheelers can be dangerous too.  Wasn't it Yamaha that had a recall a few months ago because theirs kept flipping and causing people to need things to be amputated?  Maybe I'm making that up, but I feel like I read about it in a motorcycle magazine at some point. 

I think it's just a decision to be made.  Either accept the risks associated with the hobby, or don't participate.  You can mitigate those risks in some ways, wearing safety equipment, not drinking/driving, etc... but it's still a choice.  Don't feel bad, you're not "letting" him make the choice to sell his bike, he's making the choice on his own, if you're not making him do it there's nothing to feel bad about. 
  • edited December 2011
    Wow, yeah it seemed like the 4-wheeler was safer since apparently this other guy must not have been hurt too bad since he just left... but I guess there are risks with both.

Good point, he is making the choice, so I shouldn't feel bad.
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • janice1980janice1980 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The other 4-wheeler guy didn't stop!!  OMG, that is so awful!!  Talk about not having any emotion!  I hope the cops find him!!

I am glad that it's not as bad as it could have been... Hope he recovers quickly!!
    panther Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Beth0882Beth0882 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is so scary!  I am so glad he is okay.  I can't imagine getting a call like that.
  • NcsuPsychNcsuPsych member
    Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Im sorry to hear about what happend! Thats awful and I hope the cops find the 4wheeler dude!

Hoping for a speedy recovery and best wishes for you guys!!!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    OMG!  I am so sorry!  I will keep y'all in my thoughts & prayers.  And I hope they catch the culprit, too.  I can't believe people could just knowingly leave the scene of an accident without checking on you! 

Leigh Anne & Billy
    *October 2nd, 2010*
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards