New Jersey

BBQ Wedding

So we're planning an outdoor summer wedding and wanted to go with a BBQ (FI is quite the picky eater and BBQ is his favorite food).

Before we meet with caterers we wanted to get ideas on good BBQ food for weddings (meaning not hamburgers and hotdogs!)...kind of a high class BBQ. Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Not to mention any caterers that you would recommend. Thanks in advance :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: BBQ Wedding

• edited December 2011
    I'm kind of a foodie so I'll chime in on this one. Everyone has their classic view of what BBQ food is. You have hamburgers, hotdogs, ribs, corn on the cobb and potato salad. All of these foods can be incorporated by a good caterer but presentation will be key. They may do braised short ribs with a nice roasted corn salad. I think David Tutera did a My Fair Wedding for a country girl that wanted BBQ food and beer. Any food can be dressed up if you have the right person.
  • GolfChick78GolfChick78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI LOVES BQ.  Ribs, pulled pork, hot wings, and more.  I think Pharo is right; any food can be dressed up and made nicer.  The only real challenge in my mind is how messy these foods are no matter how much you dress them up.  That's part of the fun of a BQ, but people may be concerned about protecting their suits, gowns, etc.
  • HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I love BBQ food but I personally wouldn't enjoy it at a wedding.  It's way to messy for me. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • goaliegirlgoaliegirl member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    Not sure what kind of caterer would do this, but just wanted to say that I LOVE this idea!! Sounds like so much fun and I love BBQ food so I would love this kind of wedding.    All of the suggestions that previous posters made sound delicious!
  • leah2bleah2b member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What about some grilled hanger steak? Yum!  I would LOVE to go to a BBQ wedding!!!!
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with Pharo. There are a few good BBQ grillers in the NJ area that can pull this off. They come with smokers and all. I had considered this also but decided to go with al all inclusive venue instead. Good Luck  
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Things like steaks, chicken breasts, brisket, sausages, pork loin, etc. would probably go over very well.

My favorite barbecue place is Fette Sau, over in Brooklyn. MH and I seriously debated having our wedding there, or having them cater it, lol. It's ridiculously good.
  • gibribuzgibribuz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When I first read your post I immediately thought of that scene from Father of the Bride-- lol. DH and I actually went to a  BBQ wedding last summer and it was beautiful.  The whole wedding was held at a private home with a lot of land and the reception (food and dancing) was held in the barn.  They decorated it with paper lanterns and lights.  They had burgers, chicken, ribs and other stuff like different salads but I forget which company they used.  If you are interested I can ask my friend. 
    Anniversary
  • sgdc2011sgdc2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would go with a lot of the typical bbq salads like coleslaw and potato salad and macaroni salad, maybe do slider burgers, and grilled chicken and steaks.  Riibs and wings are too messy for a wedding IMO
  • Juliet212Juliet212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Great idea... as others said if you like BBQ you have to have the classics of pulled pork, steak, chicken etc.

For my college graduation I wanted to do something similar so I had a clam bake at my house... beside from the classic hamburgers, chicken, steak, sausage we had corn on the cob, tons of various salads - crabs and clams! People LOVED it, not to mention, I did too!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • dalm0mdalm0m member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

The Black River Barn in Roxbury has a wonder off site BBQ catering.  I went to an outdoor wedding they did & everything was very classy. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards