New Jersey

Unique situation..teacher needs help w/picking a wedding date...this Sept 12' or next June 13'

Hi knotties...

OK really need as much input as possible...I'll make this simple..my fiancee and I have been dating for 5 years and are both 40 yrs old.  We got engaged in late March 12' and I was himming and hawwing over venues but finally came to my senses and realized that one of the first ones we looked at is perfect (we originally wanted summer wedding..off of school...beach decor to the max...this place is very beachy).

Here's the deal
:  my venue only has this Sept. 28th or beg June of next year left.  They also have this Aug 31st (fri..of labor day weekend) but I just ordered my dress and it won't be in until Sept and plus I have nothing else done and am too nervous.  For some reason I think a Friday wedding will be tough with trying to have people get off work to go to the church (it's so imp. to me) and plus many are teachers.  I would also probably take my honeymoon in Nov. over teacher break and tack on some dates, but I think it's just harder in general to be in school while getting married (you have to rush back into the classroom practically right after).

So do we wait until next June (oh price goes up $25.00 a head...they are giving us last minute booking price now) when we can be relaxed about it and then go on honeymoon as soon as school is over...ALTHOUGH we would probably have everything planned by like Sept or Oct and would be waiting 8 months!! 

I really wonder how much goes into planning for 5 months beside DJ dresses photographer flowers?  And will Sept28  in Central Jersey be too fallish and cool for the whole beach theme thing??

Thanks for listening....PLEASE HELP

Re: Unique situation..teacher needs help w/picking a wedding date...this Sept 12' or next June 13'

• Both FI and I are teachers and are getting married in in Aug. '13. The beginning of the year can be such a stresful, crazy time just with school - I'm not sure I'd want to add the stress of a wedding on top of it, you know? The beginning of June you're still in school, but state testing is over, you're in the home stretch and there's not as much to worry about.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    140 invited -- 118 are ready to party! -- 27 can't make it

• DH and I are both teachers. We got married in the middle of the school year- in March. We both took off Thursday, Friday and Monday.  We went on out honeymoon over spring break.  We didn't feel rushed back to the classroom at all.  If given the choice I would choose the September date because it's early enough in the school year to not feel the pressure of state testing, and it's going to save a ton of money.  If you can get everything done go for it.  If your district is like mine they frown on taking days off in June so that would be a bigger issue.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Could you rush order your dress and make Labor Day possible? I got married on a Friday and was worried about people not attending, but it wasn't a problem at all. Plus, many people get out early the day before a holiday so that helps too. Also, not to be personal, but if you are looking to start a family soon, every month helps. I don't think 9/28 is too late for a beach wedding... You could google photographers and your venue to find photo blogs of weddings during that time, to give you an idea of what it might look like. GL!
  • Hi girls,

Thanks for the posts...you all made me chuckle because yes state testing is VERY IMPORTANT but luckily in second grade we don't have one anymore.  They took it away and just give the NJ ASK starting in 3rd grade.  Does that change anything??  HEHE 

Also, district really doesn't care when I take extra days so whenever even in June will work.  Thanks again and if you have any more comments please giveXOXOXO
  • Oh the other thing is that some of you mentioned having the church later...maybe around 5 PM  but our cocktail hour starts at 6PM and I want to take pics in between so I was thinking 4PM at latest?  Though the whole venue revolves around water and docks with a gorgeous sunset and views are amazing and the sunset is way earlier in Sept in NJ on that date...(6:45 PM) than in May or June (almost 8PM)...does that matter??

Thanks,
  • I personally would wait until June. I am a teacher and we got engaged last April. We're getting married this June because we wanted enough time to plan and I wanted to be able to go home a few weeks before the wedding in order to finish everything up. My last day of school is May 23rd and our wedding is June 9th.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm a teacher as well getting married end of June.  Right now, I'm going a little nuts.  It's a lot with the end of school year, finishing graduate school and planning the wedding.  I left a lot of things to the last minute which is probably my fault, but it's the way things go.

I guess it depends how you plan.  If you think you could get a lot of planning finished early, go for June.  You'll love the extra time off after the wedding.  If you are a procrastinator like me, stick with September.  You'll appreciate the maximum planning time.

Hope it helps!  Congratuations!

Also, NWR, but I teach second grade in Maryland, and we just finished our standardized test - but like you, the superintendent said it would no longer be administered to second graders. Yay!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards