North Carolina

Thank you cards

I have a question about thank you cards (TY).  I was just looking on the September 2010 page. There is a huge post, with many responses, about guests not bringing a gift to the wedding. Man did those girls get all bent out of shape b/c of not receiving a gift.

That doesn't bother me. I'm sure I've attended weddings during my college days when I didn't bring a gift.

Did you send TY cards to everyone who came to your wedding? Or just to those who sent/brought a gift?

I found this on Martha's website "Write thank-you notes for all the gifts you received at the wedding and before. Traditional etiquette gives you an 8-week grace period."

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Thank you cards

• Beth0882Beth0882 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would never think to write a thank you card just for someone attending the wedding.  I feel like if they don't bring a gift, they may have made the trip to celebrate with you, but they are also getting food, drink, and a fun time in return, so its kind of a trade-off?

However, I would also never attend a wedding unless I had given a gift, even if it was at a shower before the wedding instead of at the wedding...
  • meredithl618meredithl618 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm pretty sure you're supposed to/it's best etiquette to send a thank you to people who only attended your wedding. You invited them to attend(not invited to bring a gift) and they did, so you're thanking them for taking time to be there.  

However, I did not send thank you notes to these people, so I think it's up to you how you want to do it.  I think it's surprising at how many people do not bring gifts.  I've never been to a wedding and not taken a gift of some kind.  

I don't know if it's the economy or that people aren't as etiquette conscious as they used to be, maybe a little bit of both, but there are a lot of people who won't bring gifts. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards