Nevada-Las Vegas

Changing your Middle Name

I know we spoken about name change a lot, but I couldnt find much about knotties who decide to change their middle name...

I know it might vary from state to state...but if you want to change your middle name, did you have to do anything special when completing your marriage license? Can you just go ahead and change it without needing to go through Probate or anything? Anyone have any experience?

I originally did not intend to change my middle name...but my mind is changing...
"You cannot reason with unreasonable people".

Re: Changing your Middle Name

• direy25direy25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I didn't have to do anything extra - when I went to SS, they just asked me what I wanted my full legal name to be, and the DMV just had to match SS. 

Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• edited December 2011
    Any change is the same process; so even if you were only changing the middle you'd still have to do all the same steps.  My wife moved her old last name to her middle name and took my last name.  Honestly the SS and DMV stuff is pretty easy; she finished it today, started yesterday, already has her new license.  The hard stuff is all the other misc. crap like insurance, cell phone bill, passport, credit cards, etc.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• direy25direy25 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_changing-middle-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:2c02fd35-0aaa-486e-a5e0-e514c66a51e7Post:bf3cad04-2b23-4c31-8582-2e0805f5cf66">Re: Changing your Middle Name</a>:
    [QUOTE]Any change is the same process; so even if you were only changing the middle you'd still have to do all the same steps.  My wife moved her old last name to her middle name and took my last name.  Honestly the SS and DMV stuff is pretty easy; she finished it today, started yesterday, already has her new license.  <strong>The hard stuff is all the other misc. crap like insurance, cell phone bill, passport, credit cards, etc.
    </strong>Posted by vegasgroom[/QUOTE]
    Ugh, don't remind me.  They don't give you your license on site here, so I have to wait to get it in the mail so I haven't even started with the rest of that crap.  You men have it easy. 
    Married 5.6.11

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_changing-middle-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:2c02fd35-0aaa-486e-a5e0-e514c66a51e7Post:ee85ea0f-4c7c-437f-bad6-011b1faa6343">Re: Changing your Middle Name</a>:
    [QUOTE] You men have it easy. 
    Posted by direy25[/QUOTE]

We can write our names in snow too! FTW

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• edited December 2011
    Check with your state. California made it impossible for me unless I wanted to legally change my name at the court house. In California, you have to note on your marriage license that you are going to chang e your middle name. Since no space is provided on a Nevada marriage license, SS told me I couldn't. I'd have to go through the process at the courthouse and it would have cost $$. I decided to leave my middle name and take my husband's last name. No regrets.
  • direy25direy25 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_changing-middle-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:2c02fd35-0aaa-486e-a5e0-e514c66a51e7Post:16e391e4-54a0-48bb-abe6-d00545a96d6c">Re: Changing your Middle Name</a>:
    [QUOTE]Check with your state. California made it impossible for me unless I wanted to legally change my name at the court house. In California, you have to note on your marriage license that you are going to chang e your middle name. Since no space is provided on a Nevada marriage license, SS told me I couldn't. I'd have to go through the process at the courthouse and it would have cost $$. I decided to leave my middle name and take my husband's last name. No regrets.
    Posted by dvohnout[/QUOTE]

Wow!
    Married 5.6.11

• edited December 2011
    Yah I cried at ss, but those ppl don't have hearts.
  • edited December 2011
    This is what I was fearing...but Social Security is Federal not state...you think it would be consistent at all SS offices?!?!

I live in Vermont, but am extremely close to NH and MA - so I am trying to figure out if any of those states will let me do it easily....if I could only find the information on line!
    "You cannot reason with unreasonable people".
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_changing-middle-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:2c02fd35-0aaa-486e-a5e0-e514c66a51e7Post:16e391e4-54a0-48bb-abe6-d00545a96d6c">Re: Changing your Middle Name</a>:
    [QUOTE]Check with your state. California made it impossible for me unless I wanted to legally change my name at the court house. In California, you have to note on your marriage license that you are going to chang e your middle name. Since no space is provided on a Nevada marriage license, SS told me I couldn't. I'd have to go through the process at the courthouse and it would have cost $$. I decided to leave my middle name and take my husband's last name. No regrets.
    Posted by dvohnout[/QUOTE]

Aw man.  I am supposed to get this started with SS tomorrow.  Stupid California.  Maybe if they won't let me change my middle in California I can do it next month when I go to Pennsylvania.  I own two homes there and I can use my passport as proof of citizenship right?  I know PA doesn't give  a hard time because a few of my friends have changed the middle. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Just returned from SS and had no issue changing my middle to my maiden name.  I am officially Mrs. Jones.  Now I have to practice signing my new name.  He he he
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards