Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

MOH help....

So my sister just kind of assumed she was my MOH -- which I'm fine with but would have prefered my bf.  But I just asked my bf to be my bridesmaid (I'm only having those 2).  Anyways I'm looking at booking a hair dresser / make up person, but my sister said that she doesn't know if she wants to get her hair done .... which i guess i wouldn't mind if she knew how to do her hair so it looked nice, I mean not nice but something other than a pony tail or straight .... How do i approach this?  Do i just pay for her to get her hair done?? or just say whatever?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: MOH help....

• Options
    edited December 2011
    If it's important to you that her hair look a specific way, you need to pay for her to get it done.  Otherwise, let her do what she wants.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I know she is your sister so it may be difficult but simply say, "as maid of honor I prefer if you had your hair professionally done. if you are unable to afford this I can assist some/or all"

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    MeatAuditorMeatAuditor member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No one says you have to have a MOH, esp. if it's just those 2.  I kinda felt funny about picking one myself.  It felt like I had to rank 4 of the women I am closest to.

I did eventually pick one, and only because I want her to be the one to sign the marriage certificate as a witness.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I really don't care that she kind of made herself my MOH .... But i thought that with that the MOH (or anyone in the bridal party) usually -- buys their own dress and takes part in the wedding day prep, which is usually getting hair done at the very least.  And I'm not sure how to go about making my appointment because they need to know how many people will be making appointments to guarantee that we all get in ....

And to clarify i don't care that she look a specific  way but i do want her hair to look nice.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm paying for hair/makeup for everyone in my bridal party- not because I want them to look a certain way, but I want everyone to look amazing and feel as awesome as I do on that day.

It could be a money thing. When I told my BMs that I was paying for hair and makeup, they were suddenly just fine getting it done. I would tell her "Hey sis, I'm booking hair appts for all of us so we all look beautiful and feel pampered. I'm going to pay for it, and I'd love it if you would join." Or something like that.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Natrasha -  so is that your gift to them?  Or are you getting them something also??

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My wife got hair/makeup done for all her girls, I think one wanted to do her own hair, it really isn't as big a deal as you might think it is right now; no one is looking at the bridesmaid's hair during the ceremony.  But if you don't mind paying for her, I'd go with specialjune's suggestion.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not trying to be cheap but I don't have a whole lot of extra spending money either .... Anyone have any suggestions then for reasonable priced hair/makeup?  If i'm going to pay for one I feel like i have to pay for both of them

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    direy25direy25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_moh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:46963402-064e-4e8b-9a98-ec4675a9045fPost:ad99dcfe-3deb-4982-8aa9-e043039a4d7e">Re: MOH help....</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>My wife got hair/makeup done for all her girls, I think one wanted to do her own hair, it really isn't as big a deal as you might think it is right now; no one is looking at the bridesmaid's hair during the ceremony</strong>.  But if you don't mind paying for her, I'd go with specialjune 's suggestion.
    Posted by vegasgroom[/QUOTE]
    This was me too - I wanted to treat my girls (along with my mom) to professional hair & makeup - one of my BM's is very picky about who touches her hair, so she only had her makeup done.  I thought maybe she'd at least curl it or something, but no, she kept it up in a messy bun all day until the ceremony and just wore it down straight.  Honestly it didn't matter at all (especially since it was windy).  Looking at the pictures, she does not stand out as the one person who didn't have her hair done. 
    Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thus the reason I chose not to have any bridesmaids or groomsmen...
    *MyBio-> 07.05.2012* UPDATED: 06/08* Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_moh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:46963402-064e-4e8b-9a98-ec4675a9045fPost:a5183fe9-9202-42ca-a065-b07a67d056dc">Re: MOH help....</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thus the reason I chose not to have any bridesmaids or groomsmen...
    Posted by AJF021410[/QUOTE]

I made all my groomsmen have their makeup done.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Options
    edited December 2011
    LOL @ VG

I was thinking of hair and makeup as part of a gift. If I was traveling to a destination wedding, it might be something I'd like to have done, but might not be able to justify the cost.

Then I read on The Knot that hair/makeup can't be a gift. But since I'm not requiring a certain style, I think maybe it's a kind of bonus gift.
    I'm having jewelry made for each girl, in a style that suits them, and not something that they have to wear for the wedding. I'm also paying for drinks and clubs after the rehearsal.

I think when I give them the jewelry, I'll write a note that says something like "Enjoy this necklace. I had it made just for you. I hope when you wear it, you'll remember how much fun we had partying the night away in Vegas. I also hope you enjoy getting all glammed up for my big day. Thank you for being my bridesmaid."
    Something like that... I don't think it's proper ettiqutte for the gift to be something they have to use for the wedding (like hair/makeup) so I would include something else. But I know if someone paid for my hair and makeup, I'd be super grateful. That shiit's not cheap.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_moh?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:46963402-064e-4e8b-9a98-ec4675a9045fPost:cdde838a-963e-4947-8da5-2fb3038f2b3e">Re: MOH help....</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: MOH help.... : I made all my groomsmen have their makeup done.
    Posted by vegasgroom[/QUOTE]

LMAO!
    *MyBio-> 07.05.2012* UPDATED: 06/08* Daisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm paying for My mom, my sister(BM) and best friend (BM) to have their makeup done. I know it's not something they would consider paying for/getting done themselves. I'm paying for it b/c I want it done for myself and I want us to have a little pampering. I didn't really give them an option. I told them "I found someone to come do our hair and makeup, she's going to start working on us at 10am. Be in my room by that time. I'll have breakfast there for us too" They said "ok"

I don't consider it a part of their gift. I count it as one of the line items in my wedding budget.

I'm having Lori White come to my room, it $200 for me and includes a trial and its $100 each for my girls. So $500 for the 4 of us plus another $100 for tip.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions .... I guess I'll just have to put that in the budget because i think this would be a fun thing for us to do together.

Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards