Nevada-Las Vegas

etiquette question

So I learned last night from FI's sister that their grandfather does not condone gambling, he is very against it. He also is very against social drinking. So much that he will walk out of the room I was told. We are having an in suite reception in 2 weeks, in vegas. How do I handle these concerns. Should I respect his feelings and be careful and tell our guests to hold off on the drinking? FI says its our wedding, and since we are paying for it in full, it isn't up to him. What do you think?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: etiquette question

• direy25direy25 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I agree with your FI - you shouldn't have to suffer and have the rest of your guests suffer for one person.  Maybe I sound heartless since it's your FI's grandfather, but this is defintely your day. 

Married 5.6.11

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• edited December 2011
    I would also agree with your FI, plus it's a WEDDING nobody is going to act like it's a club and even if they do it's on them..... Also, he has to be aware that no matter where your wedding is at there are going to be people who would like to relax and have a drink, just out of curiosity...What does he do at restaurants, or other family get together's?
    2011-2012 Races
    10/29/11 LA RockNRoll Min Half (5K) 42:58
    12/4/11 Vegas RockNRoll Half 3:14:53
    1/7/12 WDW Half 3:13:42
    1/15/12 RnR AZ 2:55:27 (PR!!)
    1/29/12 Tinkerbell 1/2 3:22:37 (To many picture stops!lol)
    Me:32 DH:33
    IFV w/ DE Only Option (On Hold For Now)
  • edited December 2011
    I agree w/ PP. I'm sure he has been to a wedding a time or two before, so he should be aware of what he is getting into. If he needs to leave, so be it.
  • bwinkoppbwinkopp member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    MOST guests expect drinks at a wedding...so I agree with your FI. 

You will piss more guests off by not serving booze to make one happy.

I have several Alcoholics (recovering) attending the reception, and it worrys me. but for them and me (I dont drink!) I am getting sparkling cider!
  • TwinsRibTwinsRib member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with your FI... And I am also intrigued by PP question... What does he do at restaurants and such.

People like that kinda irriitate me.... If it's your choice, fine... but you can't FORCE someone to do things just because of your personal beliefs!!!

We are having a dry reception... partialy because we don't drink and because there are several alcoholics on both sides of our families... We will be having an afterparty tho... Still trying to decide if we will do bottle service for that...
  • jamesndanijamesndani member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Agree with PPs.  Maybe I'm a jerk, but just because he doesn't believe in something doesn't mean you have to change YOUR plans...

• edited December 2011
    I appreciate your opinions, and don't think you're being rude. I agree its my day, and if he was paying for it, itd be a different story. His grandpa is a christian minister, and is very very stubborn. He is the type who believes the world will end and that the presidents are ruining the world and there will be a goverment takeover. Lol, he is a bit extreme. Honestly I have never been at a restaurant with him, and have spent time on easter and xmas with them, but there's usually not much drinking.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ellenalabamaellenalabama member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hmmmm, what does dear old gramps expect at a Vegas wedding?  Perhaps some booze and gambling?  It's not like you're taking him to the Bunny Ranch for pete sake!  I say spike his coke and let the fun begin!  LOL  Kidding just kidding! 
  • edited December 2011

I agree with your FI-
    If he has a problem with it he should leave politely, that would be good etiquette on his part.

• edited December 2011
    U seriously just made me lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    its a wedding in Vegas.  if he's really against drinking and gambling, i'm going to guess he's not going to come.  and if he does come, i hope he enjoys his hotel room...although i don't know how he'll get to his room without witnessing drinking and gambling.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm with Amanda, he knows the wedding is in Vegas, why wouldn't he just decline if he's so offended? Just wondering .... maybe he will excuse himself after the ceremony?
    Anniversary
  • cinegradcinegrad member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Nothing new here, I'm afraid.  I agree with everyone else.  Although I can respect the grandfather's position--I'm a bit of a prude when it comes to drinking myself (all the alcohol I've had in my life could fit into a thimble)--I'm certainly not holding others to that at my wedding.  My mother's a minister and she's not even this prudish.  Lighten up, Gramps!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards