North Carolina
Options

still no dress, someone please shoot me!

So we are under 7 months from our wedding and I still have not found a dress yet.  Anyone who is my friend on facebook knows I am beyond frustrated.  So I was wondering if anyone had any ideas.  I can't do strapless or anything tight (I have an oddly shaped body).  I want something fun but simple. No big poofy things.  I'm getting married on the beach, so it can't be big or have a huge train.  I feel like I have looked at all the designers, even victoria secret and j crew.  Ugh! This dress with be what drives me to insanity!!  I already told FI that if I don't find something in the next few months, that I am just going to wear my phillies jersey and flip flops, which he thinks is an awesome idea.

Any ideas?

I like this one a lot, but  can't find it anywhere to try on first.
http://www.inweddingdress.com/style-bc012.html

Re: still no dress, someone please shoot me!

• Options
    JemmessicaJemmessica member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you don't want strapless have you thought about finding a cute sweater or bolero to wear over one?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Did you look at ella bridals?  Their website is http://www.ellabridals.com/gowns.php

A lot of their dresses look strapless but if you click on the dress and get the description most of the strapless dresses have the option of removable straps.  I love this line of dresses.  Oh and I called the store in Morehead City and they are priced under $1000.  YAY!!!!
    TTC#1 since April 2011
    IVF#1 July 2012 5R, 3 made it to blast, sET BFN
    FET#1 Aug 2012 2 blasts transferred BFN
    IVF#2 Oct 2012
    16R/6M/6F
    Beta 1-237.9, Beta 2-566, Beta 3-8657
    US 6w3d shows one baby w/ HB 115
    US 7w1d no more heartbeat/ D&C 11/30/12 normal karyotype
    IVF#3 Mar 2013
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic image
  • Options
    JemmessicaJemmessica member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you thought about ordering a white bridesmaids dress? I looked at a bunch when I was shopping
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Have you thought about going the brides against breast cancer sale?  It's in charlotte this weekend.
    image Ellie and Morgan
  • Options
    alliegator8alliegator8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I have thought about a little jacket or something, but it's mid sept and I am warm natured.  I would be so hot!  Not to mention that I just haven't found a strapless dress that looks good on me.  I have a tiny tiny upper body and a huge butt (thanks mom :) ) so trying to find something that somewhat fits and looks ok has been hard.  I'm trying to keep my dress and alterations under $500.

I have looked at ella bridals before.  very pretty dresses, but the ones I have tried on just didn't work well for me.

• Options
    momofaydenmomofayden member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Davids Bridal has some nice short dresses they just came out with. 

maggie sottero has a really nice destination line.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

BM dresses are now the focus of my search.  My mom set me several last night that were cute.  And I've been looking into regular special occasion dresses.  I'm just running out of ideas of where to look.

I saw the ads for the brides against breast cancer sale when it was in Raleigh.  I'm work my other job o n the weekends which makes it hard to get to a lot of those things.

• Options
    wlfpkbridewlfpkbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Where are you located in NC? Sorry, I don't remember. The department stores have prom dresses out now...they have white ones every once in a while. It wouldn't hurt to look there. I think BM dresses would be a good place to start.
  • Options
    CJ4578CJ4578 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey! I was actually just perusing Nordstrom's white dresses for a getaway dress and found lots that might fit what you want. Links below of a couple, there are tons more on their website's wedding section.

Dress 1
    Dress 2
    Dress 3

PS Not sure if you remember but I ran into you at the Durham APS when FI and were adopting the beagle with heartworms. Thank you so much for your advice! She's doing great with our other dog and only has one more week until her "confinement" period is over. :)
    -- C
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_still-dress-someone-please-shoot?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:115Discussion:d41ddf2f-a78d-4044-b4db-6820df2400f6Post:14d6f9d6-049e-4351-b4e2-525a942586f2">Re: still no dress, someone please shoot me!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey! I was actually just perusing Nordstrom's white dresses for a getaway dress and found lots that might fit what you want. Links below of a couple, there are tons more on their website's wedding section. Dress 1 Dress 2 Dress 3 PS Not sure if you remember but I ran into you at the Durham APS when FI and were adopting the beagle with heartworms. Thank you so much for your advice! She's doing great with our other dog and only has one more week until her "confinement" period is over. :)
    Posted by CJ4578[/QUOTE]

Yay! That is so wonderful to hear. I do remember talking to you guys.  I'm so glad she is doing well.  She is such a sweetheart, and I am so happy she found such a good forever home :)
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm in Durham.  I'm looking at the prom dresses.  I can't believe how revealing prom dresses have gotten!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    allie what about this one from alfred angleo....not for this dress but it is very similar in style to the one you posted in your OP...maybe you could try it on for fit and compare measurements to order your size in the one you want? (it has optional spaghetti straps too)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know that this is your style, but here's one of the dresses that Nordstrom's Dress Finder suggested for "pear shaped" bodies:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3077076/0~2376776~2374327~2374331~6014178?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6014178&P=1

• Options
    tarheelbabstarheelbabs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What about looking for someone to make you a gown?  You have a go-by.  It looks fairly simple, without a lot of embellishment, so you might be able to have one made without a lot of expense.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have thought about that. Does anyone know someone in the area that can make dresses for a reasonable price?
  • Options
    britta2mozartbritta2mozart member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you have plenty of time to decide. My wedding is June 20th and I just ordered a dress a couple of weeks ago. I found that what I liked online and in catalogs did not always look good on me. I ended going to four stores and must have tried on 100 dresses. I too did not want strapless and ended up with a halter - more Grecian style. Don't worry you will find the right dress!
    Jennifer in Greensboro
  • Options
    wlfpkbridewlfpkbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could also try Olga. I'm sure she could do it but I have no idea how much she would charge.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love this dress from Nordstrom that someone posted: here.

It's very similar to mine, but mine goes to the ground - I got it on eBay & am really happy with it.

I hope you find a dress you love soon. I'm sorry you are so frustrated by it. I think looking at bridesmaid dresses may help. I love Mori Lee's stuff & it come in lots of different styles/lengths and is in your price range.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I found out at Davids Bridal yesterday that they can put spaghetti straps on just about any strapless dress - I was super excited about this, because I can't really pull off the strapless look either.  Thats something to keep in mind - if you find something that you like but is strapless, it might be easy to add straps!  Also, this may be out of your price range, but I know I have seen it a few places online for cheaper.  It is the dress I am currently in love with :)

http://www.alfredangelo.com/Collections/ProductDisplay.aspx?productID=f5c5f077-4712-4790-8279-060e8c64f68b&categoryID=119a6cfd-c64f-4a7c-8ebe-9a7587576787&pg=2&colorId1=
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards