North Carolina
Options

Day Trip Ideas?

Just found out the hubby is going to be off on Monday and I was thinking of surprising him by going to a day trip somewhere. Since we've gotten married, we've spent our weekends cleaning up and settling into the house and I'd really just like to get away for a day and do something fun. So any ideas? We live in Wilkes so something close would be good. And something cheap too :)

Re: Day Trip Ideas?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I vote for Boone!!  I'm an Appalachian grad and absolutely LOVE that area! 
  • Options
    Beth0882Beth0882 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Depends on what you like to do...there are tons of great hiking trails in the Boone/Blowing Rock area.  If you like to just walk around cute little towns there are tons of those in the mountains too!  If you like wine, you can head down to the Yadkin Valley and spend the day winery-hopping. (If you go this route, I can recommend our favorites, we've been to most in that area).  Tastings are usually $5-$10 each depending on hwo many wines they let you taste.  We usaully hit 4-5 in a day when we go. 

Thats all I can come up with in that half of the state right now!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know if this is near you, but DH and I went to Hanging Rock one day.  All I know is that, coming from Raleigh, it's past Greensboro.  We had a little picnic at some picnic tables and then they have several little trails you can do.  We are NOT serious hikers or anything, so we did a few short trails and saw a waterfall.  Then we got brave and did the "hanging rock" trail (which takes you to the top of hanging rock).  It was super fun and we got some awesome pictures at the top! One of my favorite pictures of us is from that trip -- sitting side by side with our legs hanging off the cliff....and someone took it from behind :)
    image Matt & Ashley 5.08.10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Topsail Island and Beaufort are an easy day trip from Raleigh :)
  • Options
    alliegator8alliegator8 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There is Pilot Mountain in WS. Depending were you are, King Mountain is near Charlotte.  There is a revolutionary war national park there which is pretty cool.  You could always head up to VA.  We're about a 2 hour drive from Petersburg and Richmond is right beyond that.  You could go see a Flying Squirrels baseball game.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks you guys! These are all awesome ideas!
  • Options
    ecuchikaecuchika member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I like going for a ride in the mountains.  My dad is great with directions and when I was little he would just drive around...we always found neat things when we weren't really looking and you can't beat the beauty. You could go to the Biltmore Estate if you wanted to.  Also, if DH likes trains there is the Spencer Train Musuem in Spencer NC btw Lexington and Charlotte on I85.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Linville Falls! And hiking in Linville!

And I second winery :)
    image122 Made the list!
    image 89 Are ready to party!
    image 11 Will be missing out!
    image 22 Can't find the mailbox!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards