Kansas

murder over wedding location!!!

OK, maybe not actual murder. FH if from small town in KS. I mean, 600 people live there! He wants us to have our wedding there. I understand he's a country boy, but I'm a city girl! I'd rather have it someplace where it doesn't take 2 hours by car-after you get off the plane! Am I wrong? How do I start this conversation off...hey honey, I know that you really want this in Independence, KS(look it up, if you can find it on the map!) but I would like a more convenient location, being as though I live on the East Coast and have compromised with you because your family is bigger. What to do? Help!

Re: murder over wedding location!!!

• edited December 2011
    LOL. Im from the area (not independance but somewhat close) and i dont think its thatttt small. However, i can see your point. It is your wedding as well as his so you should find a place your both comfortable with. Have you looked at any of the places in Independance? They may not be as bad as you think. Try checking out some places close to independance online (but closer to the airport) and show them to him. Tell him your feelings, after some shopping around you guys may be able to find the perfect location for both of you. Just try to be open minded about the situation so he wont get defensive instead of starting out with something like "well since we are having it in kansas instead of the east coast i should get to pick where" go with something more like "i know you really want to have a wedding close to your family but i would really like to look at some places closer to the airport with you, it would make me feel more comfortable if we could check them out together." You guys will work it out.
  • edited December 2011
    Okay, I will try that. We're traveling that way in November. BIL is renewing vows. We'll stop down in Indy then. And I also looked at the place where the Kansas State Fair is held. It looks pretty when it's all dolled up. I j will definitely take your advice. Thanks!
  • edited December 2011
    My future in-laws keep trying to get us to have our wedding in their hometown...the welcome sign says "A nice place to live." True...it's nice and quiet...but it's so small! Population less than 200. I just keep saying "You don't want 150 of my closest family and friends to find out what a nice place Morganville is...you wouldn't want all of those city folk moving here, would you?" Thank God I've already booked the reception hall...Independence isn't that far from Wichita...though I will admit that small-town weddings can be a helluva party. The one we went to last week was still going strong at midnight...and the venue wanted to close them down!
  • edited December 2011
    Well, well. I got a compromise out of the FI. I pulled up Google Maps and showed him that there was nothing but trees! He says that his final suggestion is (drumroll) Kansas City!!!!! Yay! I actually came up with this several weeks ago, to a firm no, so I let that info slide and kissed him on the cheek. He says that I'll be missing Indy when everything closes at 2 AM! I am so happy!
  • mmk<3cws2010mmk<3cws2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh my gosh!!!  I can totally relate.  I'm from Kansas City, Overland Park really, and my fiance is from a town just north of Pittsburg KS.  He wants to get married here, and I am dead set on a Kansas City wedding.  I decided I would check out the one location he knows of down here and not totally rule it out...but in my heart I'm just sure we'll get married in KC.  How are my family members going to get here after they fly to KC?  How inconvenient for them...4 hours on a plane...rent a car to drive two more hours and stay in Pittsburg?  Still having to drive a little distance to the wedding and reception?  I don't know about all that.  Don't get me wrong, I love it down here, but I have always pictured a wedding in the city.

Good luck!  Let me know how it turns out.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm from Coffeyville which is 2 mins from Indy and you will have a hard time finding vendors in that area!   I currently live in Olathe (KC area) and we had our reception in the city because I didn't want to have it at a community center or shrine barn.  lol

Just in case you need another rabbit to pull out of your hat!   Pull the no vendors rabbit.  hehe
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards