Iowa-Quad Cities
Options

Ring insurance?

My to-be husband owns the house we live in, and can't add my engagement ring to the homeowner's insurance as a rider until we're married- over a year from now!  He purchased the stone and band from a retired jeweler in a private sale at the jeweler's home before he sold the rest of the stones off, so we don't even have a jewelry store to ask if they insure.  Any suggestions?
SarahBee

Re: Ring insurance?

• Options
    madstaylormadstaylor member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We keep ours in a safety deposit box at the bank as our wedding is still 11 months away. That might be an idea until your married and can add it to the homeowners insurance.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've had my jewelry insured through Jeweler's Mutual. I think you pay $1 per every $100 of insurance purchased. You will need an appraisal though. If you google jeweler's mutual you can probably find it there.
  • Options
    hz80408hz80408 member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

Where do you currently live?  You can get renter's insurance for $12-$17 a month.

I've also heard of jewelry insurance like jeweler's mutual. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    i would do the renter's insurance. you can get the rest of your stuff covered too then for a relatively small amount.  mine is covered under our farm... weird.
    ~basquing in the wedded bliss~
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The first thing you need to do is get an appraisal on the ring.  You can go to any certified jeweler to have this done.  Once the ring is appraised, you can add it to your insurance.  Check with the company that you are currently using for your car insurance.  In most cases they will have an option for personal property.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards