Iowa-Quad Cities

Recommendation for Jewelers? (XP on Des Moines board)

Hello fellow Iowans!

BF and I have started to seriously look into ring shopping (or maybe doing some custom work). At first we decided to look at the big names such as Helzberg, Zales, Kay, and Jared's. However, some wonderful ladies on NEY mentioned that you can typically get a better ring for a better price when you go to a local jeweler. Honestly, this is the opposite of what I expected.

Basically my question is if you guys have any suggestions for jewelers? Or any advice about big names vs local. Bf and I are stationed in Cedar Rapids, but are not opposed to traveling to Iowa City, Des Monies, or else where.

Lastly, do local jewelers typically take custom work in a way where I might have a picture or 2 of rings that I like at a chain jeweler - could they mimic that ring?

Sorry for so many questions and thanks in advance!
Wedding Countdown Ticker image

Training to be the next companion.

Re: Recommendation for Jewelers? (XP on Des Moines board)

• We first looked at Revell Jewlers in Bettendorf.  You can take in pics and they'll custom make items....but in the end, we ended up going with Holland's in Moline.  They're known to be a bit pricier, but their customer service goes a long way.  I've had to get my engagement ring resized 3 times and my wedding band once.  I've never had to pay for that (and I've heard of other stores charging up to $75); plus everytime I take in my rings, white gold, they "re-dip" them (this is occassionally done for white gold since it essentially has a plating on it and overtime it can wear down and the metal will look yellow gold; again other stores usually charge $30+ each time this is done).
  • Rejewel in Marion.
    We got my e-ring and band custom made there.
    Resonable prices, and everything is taken care of in a reasonable amount of time.
    I take my ring in to get cleaned, and when they arent busy they will clean it right away for me while I wait in the store.
  • Rogers jewelry in the mall is having a friends and family sale right now,have you checked there? we were happy with the quality, the budget and the service from the moment we walked in. They are very friendly,and helpful.When we commented to the gal how pleased we were with everything,she commented that if the whole experience isn't everything you dreamed it would be then that is what you will remember when you look at your ring. It does make sense, and they do live by it. Total of our rings were suppose to be 1379.00, but when we went to pick them up,she rerang with the friends and family sale price and they were 748.00. That was for both the wedding rings and engagement ring. Hope this helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards