Iowa-Quad Cities

When do you register for gifts?

I see that some people say register early.  I have had people ask me already in January and February of 2010 where we are registered and our wedding isn't until March 2011.  So I took the advice and went to go register at Target and the customer service lady said they only hold registries in their database for 3 months or so and advised me to wait...I'm so confused and frustrated.  My FI isn't a shopper type of person...he's especially not a browsing type of person so to actually get him to the store and register was hard work and now we're not registered. 

The save the dates are going out in about a week and our website is on there.  If people want to buy us a gift to congratulate us, we don't have anything.

Q1. Should I just forego registering at Target?  Have you heard of their 3 month registry? 

Q2. Does anyone have suggestions for registries that hold it until after your wedding day?  Something that includes both nice household stuff and fun man stuff (fishing, hunting, camping, etc)  He's so outdoorsy.

HELP Ladies!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: When do you register for gifts?

• edited December 2011
    My friend's wedding is in September and she registered back in February at Bed Bath & Beyond and one other place, I can't remember. I would try other places to see what their policy is.
  • edited December 2011
    Bed, Bath, & Beyond is a fantastic place to register, but you don't want to register earlier than 6 months from your wedding date because they have a lot of items that will be discontinued.  Then go back in to your registry online about a month before your first shower to "clean it up."  It only requires one trip to the store and they take really good care of you while you're there.

As far as guys' stuff, you could go to an outdoor store like Gander Mountain or Bass Pro Shops to register for things he wants.  And you can always have a third registry.

Don't be worried about the technicality of your website not having the information.  We didn't put ours out there until about 5 months before our wedding date.  our registry info was shared primarily by word of mouth.
  • Boynton1286Boynton1286 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I would not recommend Target, we have heard so many horror stories about their registry (don't let you return things, only give you in-store-credit, etc.) We registered there and then decided to scrap it because our friends all had so many issues with them. We are going with Kohls and a honeymoon registry. We have heard people say that Kohls will even take back things that weren't purchased there but are sold there.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I did a Target registry. I started it in January and it's still there. I haven't heard anything about their 3 month rule. I was trying to get ideas for stuff to put on and checked out couple's registries that were last summer and they were still up too.

I think their return policy is that they only give in store credit if you have a gift receipt but I shop there pretty regularly so I'll use it if we do end up having to return anything.
  • edited December 2011
    Just re-read your second question. I've heard REI has a good registry. I would just go a registry for your household stuff and a 2nd one for his hobbies. Nothing wrong with 2.
  • BinksaBinksa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Our wedding isn't until New Years Eve of this year.  We registered online mostly becuase we knew what we needed.  Ours consists of Carson Pirie Scott, Sears (for tools) and our honeymoon website.  No problems so far!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards