Iowa-Quad Cities
Options

Ideas on incorporating Iowa culture into an out-of-state wedding?

I'm from Louisiana and my FI is from Sioux City, IA...but we're having the wedding where my FI parents live, Omaha, Ne.  I want to throw in some small details to include our culture/home-state.  For mine, I was thinking of having Pralines as favors, or putting a fleur-de-lis somewhere in decorations/etc.  I'm going to have the DJ play one Zydeco song. 

I don't want to make it too "about me", but I want to have a bit of home.  I thought it would be cute to have some element to represent his home too, but all I could come up with is "corn" and that's not cute on decorations.

Does anyone have any suggestions for representing Iowa?

First Date: March 10, 2007
Engaged: August 21, 2010
Wedding: June 4, 2011

Re: Ideas on incorporating Iowa culture into an out-of-state wedding?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    At my sister's wedding a few years ago, they had the groom's cake in the shape of the  Texas Longhorn to represent his alma mater.

If your FI is a fan of Iowa or Iowa State you could incorporate their logos into the grooms cake or even something like your card box; either the Hawkeye or Cyclone logo would be an easily recognible symbol up here.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks!  Funny enough, as soon as we started discussing the wedding cake, he wanted a Hawkeye Groom's Cake!

First Date: March 10, 2007
    Engaged: August 21, 2010
    Wedding: June 4, 2011
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You could name the tables after bigger cities in both IA and LA or important symbols from both states.
  • Options
    madstaylormadstaylor member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    you could have the DJ play In Heaven There Is No Beer :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Play the Iowa fight song :-)

Check out Iowa Wineries/breweries (maybe some from LA, too) and see if your caterer can serve some at the wedding!

See if you can get a cake from your favorite local bakery...

Try to incorporate something from each of your hometowns.

Add special touches (jewelry for bridesmaids from your favorite local shop)!

Good luck!  Omaha is a great place to have a wedding.  I'm getting married in Des Moines, but our videographer is from just outside of Omaha: www.visualitiesvideography.com. She is fantastic--check her out!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards