Massachusetts-Cape Cod
Options

BEWARE OF CHRIS BAKER, CAPE COD DJ

Initially we felt great about our decision to hire Chris Baker for our September 2009 wedding and were very surprised to be so disappointed by his services. When speaking on the phone he seemed very professional, friendly and flexible. We made sure to give him our must play songs ahead of time but Chris made a few mistakes in playing the wrong song at the wrong time. He also decided to play other songs from his list, which was fine by us but when he had a problem with the computer and the same piano note continuing for a few minutes, it was embarrassing. He had a poor attitude before our ceremony started and it continued throughout the night. A few guests, including my mother and mother-in-law, approached us to let us know that he was very short with them and mentioned that he only dealt with the bride and groom. Unfortunately he took on the same attitude towards my husband and me. We made sure to be very polite and accommodating to him because we wanted to enjoy our wedding and make the most out of the experience. When it came time to do the bouquet toss/garter belt I was told by my wedding coordinator that he said “we” wouldn’t want to do it, which could not have been further from the truth. I had to make sure he included it as we had discussed it prior to the wedding. He did not say goodbye to us but left in a hurry and the staff at the resort apologized for him since they had worked with him in the past. It is a shame that we read such positive reviews and for some reason or another had a very disappointing experience working with him. Had I known this was how it would have turned out I never would have hired him.

Re: BEWARE OF CHRIS BAKER, CAPE COD DJ

• Options
    edited December 2011
    wow, thanks for sharing this experience! It sounds like you made the best of a bad situation, though. Congrats on your wedding!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

It was a shame because we had no idea he would have been that way. Part of me wonders if he was in a bad mood or if something personal was going on in his life. I always like to put myself in another person's position because you just never know, BUT there really was no excuse for his behavior and poor qualitiy. I'm very easy going, flexible and organized too so we thought this would be smooth sailing. Oh well...it was important for my husband and I to share our experience here, so we hope this helps in your decision making to be cautious of overly charming personalities that make you pay up front and don't need to meet with you. Best of luck and best wishes to all of the brides!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh no!  I hate to hear this.  I'm meeting with him this week for the first time (we haven't hired him yet).  This makes me nervous now!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My advice would be to meet with him, regardless of my experience because you could have an entirely different one. I would meet with as many different DJ's and do as much research that makes you feel comfortable in your decision. I have read great reviews about Chris and also came across one that was very similar to mine and interestingly enough the post was removed. Best of luck and go with your gut! :)
  • Options
    ecrtweddingecrtwedding member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oh no!  We hired him to be our DJ for our August  2010 wedding.  he came highly recommend from our reception site and other brides.....
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah I'm actually meeting with him tonight.  I like to give anyone a chance but I thank you very much for your review.  Good reviews and bad reviews are both very important! 
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    bnew58, let me know how your meeting goes , and your opinion of him.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ecrtwedding - the meeting went well.  He was very pleasant.  I actually brought up this review and he had a valid explanation.  We haven't decided if we're planning on going with him yet but he's definitely in the running!
  • Options
    allisong23allisong23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We really liked him a lot when we met him.

There are always two sides to every story.....
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    ARez726ARez726 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Oh boy!  My fiance and I hired him for our June 2010 wedding.  He seemed so great when we met with him.  He also came highly recommended.  There's no turning back now!!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks bnew58.  good luck with your decision
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi I was just wondering how your wedding went (if it happened yet)? Did everything work out with Chris?

Thanks!
    an interested bride-to-be
  • Options
    laurenmaralaurenmara member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I met Chris recently and really liked him.  He was very professional, outgoing, and all around likable.  Does anyone have any recent experiences to share?

• Options
    Ashie634Ashie634 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am very surprised with this posting about Chris. He DJed our wedding last August (2009) and he was one of the many reasons we had the best wedding possible. He came very highly recommended from everything we had seen and read and he did not disappoint. He made everything so easy, from the initial meeting to the last song. He sent us a very simple and thorough planning sheet that we filled out to plan the evening. He worked with us to create the exact atmosphere we were looking for. His music selections were spot on, following our requests and those of our guests. The dance floor was packed the entire night and we had him to thank for that. We recently went to a friend's wedding that he DJed in July with the same results- a fantastic time! We were very pleased with Chris as our DJ and would recommend him to anyone.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for the input!  Has anyone else on the board used him recently? I've only seen one negative review and many more positives. But want to make sure -

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards