Massachusetts-Cape Cod
Options

Catholic Churches in Falmouth/Mashpee area

To all you Catholic Cape brides out there, where did you have your ceremony? I'm looking at either Ballymeade or New Seabury for the reception, so it looks like St. Anthony's, Christ the King, and St. Patrick's are all nearby. Did anyone have a particularly easy or difficult time with any of these being a non-parishoner (I belong to a parish in Boston)? Also, in terms of timing, what did you all do about the "Catholic gap"? I see some of these churches list 5:30 as an option, which seems too late, but 1 or 2 are too early. I'm interested to hear what other people did about this.

Lots of questions in one post. Feel free to answer any or all of them! Thanks.

Re: Catholic Churches in Falmouth/Mashpee area

• Options
    CaitlinB516CaitlinB516 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I am a non-parishioner getting married at St. Anthony's in Falmouth next September. We have had no trouble at all with booking the church, it seems like the only issue is with the more expensive "donation."

They aren't very flexible with ceremony times so we are going with the 2:30 slot and giving guests a list of local attractions to keep themselves busy. It's tough, but at least you can get pictures out of the way and enjoy your own reception!

September 25, 2010!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We're getting married in Pocasset at St. John the Evangelist.  I know it's not in Falmouth or Mashpee, but not too far from the venues you're looking at, I think.  My mother is a parishoner but FI and I live in NJ and we haven't had a problem at all.  

Last slot for wedding ceremony on Saturdays is 2:00 pm though.  Our reception time is flexible though, so we'll probably have folks head over there right after.

Runaway Bride - Catch me if you can!
    photo by Scott Metzger
    kikijbird ~ Erica (aka Kiki) & Paul ~ 24 April 2010
    The JBirds Bio ~ Updated 03.02.10 - Invites!

Anniversary

• Options
    RedSoxBride09RedSoxBride09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had our ceremony at the St. Thomas Chapel in Falmouth Heights (affiliated with St. Patrick's in Falmouth).  We were not members of the parish and Fr. Perry was fantastic.  The donation was not that high, working with them was as easy as could be, and they were very welcoming.  Our ceremony was at 2:30 on a Saturday (full mass) and our reception followed at Ballymeade and started around 4:30.  (They were ready for the guests around 4:15 though).

We chose St. Thomas Chapel because we wanted to married on the water and we were able to have the doors open during the ceremony and watch the boats go by during the ceremony. 

Good Luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

RedSoxBride, I sent a message on the Ballymeade thread asking about your pictures-- now I want to see them even more. I think you are having my wedding, just one year earlier! :) When you get your pro pics back I would love to see them. Who did you use for catering at Ballymeade? Do you know how late St. Thomas is open? I'm guessing at least until Columbus Day based on your wedding date.

Thanks.

• Options
    RedSoxBride09RedSoxBride09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Karens MOH - Not sure this is the right place for the reply, but I'll put it here anyway - I've been MIA for a while - we JUST got our pro pics (well, 1/2 anyway - we're still waiting for the pics from our second photographer) and we haven't even had a chance to go through them all yet - there are about 475 images!  (We also became foster parents 10 days ago to a 3 year old). 

As soon as I have a chance to go through them, I'll be happy to share them.

We had Chef Roland's Catering - and he was PHENOMENAL.  Our guests are still talking about the food!  I believe St. Thomas closed the weekend after our wedding, but usually closes Columbus Day Weekend.  We lucked out with our weather - it was 73 degrees and sunny - we took pictures at the beach!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married @ St. Patrick's in Falmouth on 9.18.10 @ 2pm. They were great and very helpful.  We were members of a church in RI and just moved to Omaha NE for work and they were totally cool with us doing PreCana here in Omaha.  $300 was the donation for the church and the priest was a nice man. 

Good luck!
    Beth
  • Options
    Mystic619Mystic619 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are getting married at St. Elizabeth Seton in Falmouth on a Saturday.  The ceremony is 5:30pm, but they also do 2:30pm ceremonies.  We had no problem not being parishioners, and they have been great and very accommodating so far.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    RedSoxBride-- I just talked to Chef Roland-- he sounds awesome and is WAY cheaper than some of the other preferred caterers. Thanks for your advice so far. Good luck with the new toddler and adjusting to married life, of course! 

Thanks everyone else for the advice on the churches, I'm glad to hear there are a few options and no one ran into a really difficult time arranging the church.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Karen's MOH - I too am having my reception at Ballymeade and using Chef Roland.  He is awesome and I have had many friends who have used him - =you can't go wrong.  Plus he is very close with the property management company at Ballymeade and knows his way around - what angles to work, etc. My ceremony is at Christ the King.  I am a parishioner but my fiance is not.  Either way, Catholic churches are much more lax than they used to be.  My fiance isnt confirmed and they had no problem with that. Our wedding is at 2pm - will last one full hour and our reception will begin at 5pm.  Granted there is lag time in between but I would rather that than have my reception end at 8 or 9pm.  Ballymeade is strictly 5 hours - no more. We have over 150 people coming to our wedding and no one has seemed to mind about the time gap that we have spoken too.  There are a lot of younger children coming to our ceremony that wont be coming to the reception so parents need this time to bring the kids to babysitters, hotels, etc. Plus Christ the King is so beautiful that older guests love to walk the grounds or hang in the rectory (we have food and beverages available in there post-ceremony).

Hope this helped some. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks KMF. Nice to see another Ballymeade/Chef Roland bride. I met with Roland on Sunday and am really excited about the food, and we officially booked Ballymeade then too. I'll end up doing the same thing-- 2 pm ceremony, at St. Patrick's, then start the reception at 5. Everyone will be staying over anyway, so people can just go back to their hotels to freshen up and relax in between. Most of my family is Catholic so they are used to it anyway.

Thanks again to everyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards