Massachusetts-Cape Cod
Options

Catering Questions

So I have flip-flopped 360 degrees at least 3 times in this whole planning process!

I've looked at venues that have wedding packages all set up, private houses, and have finally decided 100% on doing a very small event at our Cape house on the deck.

We'd ideally like to do a catered event for 50 people- a cocktail hour, and a sit down dinner in mid-August.

Anyone who has worked with caterers on the Cape- I have a few questions...
  • Are there any $$ minimums for summer events, like there are at the resorts?
  • How many staff would be recommended for an event that size?  How many servers per person? Do you also pay for a chef?
  • Do the servers also clean up, or do they usually have another person to do that?
Thank You!

Re: Catering Questions

• Options
    edited December 2011

I worked with a caterer, but it was at a reception venue, so I'm not really sure who did what in terms of clean up and things like that. As to your other questions, my guess would be that caterers will vary on minumums, based on whether they can do two events in a day, other bookings, things like that. Most of the caterers I contacted provided the servers-- some included that charge in the overall charge, some had it separately, but I think the usual recommendation was for at least 1 server per 12 guests.

Your best bet will probably to contact a few companies to find out their policies. You can get an estimate over email easily enough where they can break down the servers, chefs, etc for you. We use Chef Roland (who does not have email) and he was amazing, just completely amazing. I had also contacted Eat Your Heart Out and a couple of others that I can't remember now, and Roland was the least expensive by a lot.

Hope that helps a little.

• Options
    GBroc22GBroc22 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi!
    We looked into caterers for a house wedding, and found that Treats Catering would be great and affordable :)http://www.treatscatering.com/
    He didn't have a minimum, and he recommended the staff amount. Staffing will differ depending on if you have a sit down or a buffet.  The staffing includes the chef, and the waitstaff will take care of clean up.  You'll also be asked to get a small caterers tent that they will use for cooking/set-up.  HTH
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    GBroc22...quick question. How was the food? I'm looking at Treats for my tented wedding (about 175 people) and I wanted to try and find a bride that had used them before. Any experiences you can give would be greatly appreicated! Thank you!
  • Options
    ND2011ND2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you talked to Joe Jamiel at Ardeo? Awesome prices and the catered food is fantastic.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards