Massachusetts-Cape Cod
Options

am i insane or...

SO we went to meet with one of 5 caterers that my venue allows ( i thought it wouldve been the cheapest) and she told me she could definatly put together a menu for what we wanted, which is a cookout: hot dogs, hamburgers, and grilled chicken with a sit down salad served first, potato salad, baked beans and corn on the cob... i dont need dessert from these people, or alchol and she emailed me the quote today for prices and it was $10,000!!!!!!!!! WHAT?! since when did cookout food cost this much?! we didnt decide on any apps yet, and for DISPOSABLE tablewear it was almost $700! and for renting linens (just white tableclothes with a few blue thrown in here and there) was almost $900! this is all based on 125 people! i just think this is RIDICULOUS and kind of feeling deflated knowiing the other options i have will be about the same price. i chose to have my wedding at this venue becuase it was so affordable and now i may have to change it to a place that allows any caterer... any thoughts or help?? thanks guys!

Re: am i insane or...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    That's seems excessive - I know my friend had a similar dinner menu for her wedding  and I don't think the cost was that high including apps (but no alcohol - they had a cash bar the whole night) - but she also had 185 people so I would expect it to be higher - I don't remember now if she had the real plates or not, but I think she did not. 

I'm not sure where your venue is, but when I was looking to go in the direction of a venue that required a caterer, Casual Gourmet was helpful in discussing options that would fit within my budget.  I would give them a call and see if they can steer you in the direction of something more affordable.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    oh, just a thought (not that we like to be deceptive), but have you thought about having someone call the caterer back and tell them they are looking for a cookout style catered event (but leave out the "wedding" part) and see if the price is different?  Sometimes I think places like that upcharge just because it is a wedding....
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi,
    We had a similar experience the first time we tried to look at caterers. After the initial shock we looked around a little more and found some reasonable clambake caterers that worked within our budget.

I found that some restaurants (like Chapin's in Dennis) do caterering and they're not outrageously expensive like some of the independent caterers out there.

Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That does seem really high. I guess they kind of have to do as much work for the simple food like that as they would for a fancier meal? But for food alone, that's more than I'm paying for lots of apps, salad, fish course, beef course, and gelato bar!

I know Flying Bridge does a clambake and I believe it's a little less than that, and they provide the tables/plates/linens.

Where is your wedding? What caterers are allowed? Maybe people on here can help if we know.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That seems excessive. Demand that you will provide 125 paper plates and flatware and save hundreds.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    if you want to continue working with this caterer, i would first try to have a rational discussion along the lines of, "i really want to work with you, but you are simply not fitting my budget." then see what she comes back with - perhaps she's aiming high to get as much as she can out of you. this is totally unreasonable pricing - and my first instinct would be not to work with her at all since she seems intent on ripping you off. 

I don't know who the caterer is for the West Dennis Yacht club, but his food is awesome and he was only $50 per person for my SIL's sit-down dinner (i may need to confirm that number with my MIL, but she was gushing over how great all this was - i think for my bridal shower lunch he charged $35 per person).  let me know if you want me to find out more from my MIL.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    oops, sorry, just re-read your OP and see that you're restricted. maybe get caterers fighting it out for your business and go from there. 
  • Options
    emh777emh777 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's terrible!  We are having fish and steak for the same amount of people and our quote is only $3,000 more including real china and alcohol!!!! This is including a cocktail hour with passed and stationary apps! Insane!  I would not bet that they are the cheapest.  Bring that quote to the other four and tell them what you want and tell them how laughable that first quote is.  If they want your business - they will make it work.  Goood luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards