Massachusetts-Cape Cod

My first post... Looking for ideas on a beach reception:)

Hi everyone:)

I am recently engaged not even a week yet.  My fiance (still strange to say) and I are hopefully planning on a Cape wedding.  Over the past week we have done some looking at venues.

We are looking to have a beach reception with a New England Clambake.  We are also looking for casual not very formal. I wanted to know if anyone has any ideas on where to look?  We are open to anything.  I also wanted to know if anyone has seen places where they let you use the space for a small fee?

I look forward to any feedback;)

Re: My first post... Looking for ideas on a beach reception:)

• edited December 2011
    Congrats on your engagement!!!  You must still be on cloud nine :-)

What size is your wedding going to be and what is your budget for the reception?  This information would be a huge help to provide suggestions.  There are a lot of options for what you are looking for but the cost can vary drastically.

HTH!

Jen

• edited December 2011
    Hi Jen,

Thank you:)  HAHA.... Yes I am still on cloud nine, I am finding it impossible to get anything done!!

We are looking at probably about 75-100, probably closer to the lower number. As for budget for the reception.... we are on a tight one!! Not exactly sure what the amount will be.  We have to crunch some numbers!!  I hope this helps a little more... I really appreciate it.

We are probably going to be taking a trip up to the Cape next weekend to look around and we are trying our hardest to have some type of game plan!!  I have always loved the Chathams Bar Inn..... But that is sooooo out of our budget!!  It would be great to find the less expensive version of that!!

Meagen
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Meagan,

If you keep your guest list to 75 (or a little more banking on some guests not being able to attend) and you definitely want to do a clambake, I would suggest looking at Hemisphere's in Sandwich.  The pluses are that it works with a tight budget, they offer a clambake, and it is right on the water.  The minuses are that the reception room on the first floor walking out to the beach.  It kind of has a basement feel, but I really liked the fact that it was righ ton the water and there are a wall of windows looking out to the ocean.  I would of had my wedding there but my Mom did not like it.  Check it out during your trip to the Cape.   If your reception wedding budget is $12,500 I would check out Ocean's Edge.  That is where I ended up for my wedding.  It is beautiful but not sure if that fits your budegt.  I will try to think of some other places but I have to run.

I noticed you live in CT, where?  I grew up in Ridgefield and Glastonbury.

Talk soon!

Jen
  • edited December 2011
    Sorry, I just realized that I spelled your name wrong!

Sorry Meagen!

Jen
  • edited December 2011
    i think ocean's edge has affordable packages for smaller weddings - the smaller rooms were pre-renovation when i went (so i picked Captain Linnell House), but should be done now and definitely worth checking out. If you want to crunch the numbers beforehand, their wedding packages are posted on their website.  

CLH is also nice, 1/4 mile from skaket beach and fairly reasonably priced if you look at sunday or fridays - but they have an 80-person minimum for these days (and i think a 100person min for saturdays), so it might not be a good place for you.

my FSIL got married at the West Dennis Yacht Club and I believe it was reasonably priced. We looked at non-ocean front to try to cut down on costs that way, so i'm out of suggestions. (btw, CBI runs about $400+pp.)
  • edited December 2011
    You should check out the Audobon Society.  They have a spot that is overlooking the water in Yarmouth.  I believe it is called Long Pasture.  You probably have to make some sort of donation but I believe they give you the use of the building on the property and there is a huge flat area where you could put up a tent, etc.  The view is breath taking.  We looked into this place as an option but also settled for Ocean Edge.  We didnt want to have to get a caterer, etc.  Hope this helps!

Jessica
  • edited December 2011
    Jen, 
    Dont worry about spelling my name wrong:)  Thank you so much, I will check out both places... I have seen the Ocean's Edge and it is beautiful..   I live in Danbury, we just moved here about 3 or 4 months ago so far we love it! Thank you soooo much!!!!

lewis2002,
    Thank you....  I went to the CLH website, another beautiul place.  When you looked at non ocean front to cut cots did you see a significant drop in price?

Jessica,
    The Audobon Society sounds pretty close to what we are on the look for.. That is great!!  You are right on with the caterer, that is something to really consider!  Get a caterer or have it all in one place to make it easier!!

Thank you all so much for your help=p  This is a geat start and I love it all!! 

Meagen

• edited December 2011
    Hi-

Do you have a specific part of the cape you are looking at? We looked at the Beach Breeze Inn, in Falmouth. You can get married on Surf Drive Beach and then have your reception in a tent on the property. It is practically right there. All your guest stay there, it is pretty convenient! If you have any other questions about the Falmouth/Mashpee area, I am happy to help, Let me know. I am not to familiar with with further down cape. I grew up in Falmouth.

Rachel
  • edited December 2011

Meagen,

How did you make out?  Were you able to see any reception sites over the weekend? 

Jen

• edited December 2011
    Hi Jen,

We have a list of sites and we are going up this weekend!! Thanksgiving threw us off!! We figured out a timeline of when we can have our wedding and hopefully we can find a place!! We really would love to get married this summer, we shall see:)  We are going to call and make appointments and go from there:) We were looking at Hemisphere's online and it looks nice, but I can see what you mean about looking basement like.  Thank you for checking back:)  When we get back I will post what we are hopefully looking at!!  Thanks again Jen:)

Meagen
  • edited December 2011
    Hi Meagen!

Happy New Year!  Did you pick a place for your wedding?

Jen
  • edited December 2011
    Hi, if you have not found a spot yet.  You may want to look into the Quahog Republic on Mashnee Island in Bourne.  It is a nice spot and may work for what you want.  I think they are closed for the winter but you may be able to contact Eric, the owner, off of their website.  Good luck, Amy
  • edited December 2011
    Hello Everyone....

Well we finally decided on a reception site!! We are having it at The Brookside Club in Bourne!!  It is funny how we decided on something completly diferent from what were looking for!!  We finalized everything a few weeks ago:)   Now we are off to pick a ceremony site!! We are looking for a beach site but are open to anything...  Another close runner up was the Pamet Club in Truro.. It was absolutly beautiful but it would have been tough setting up for the wedding b/c all tent/decorating would have been done the morning of the wedding..  Way too much stress for the wedding day:)  Thank you everyone for your help:) I really appreciate it=p

Meagen
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards