North Carolina

XP: maybe relocating to NC from CT

Hi girls!  FI might be relocating to NC for work.  This depends a little on if I can find work or not.  I'm a registered nurse which is usually good for jobs, but I have read unemployment in NC is kind of high right now.  We're taking a trip down in a couple weeks to scout out some areas.  We're looking for a small town feel where we can buy some land and build on it.  Right now we're looking at Warrenton and Oxford.  We're pretty flexible on where to look as he'll have more of a regional position, so if you all have any suggestions, I'd love to hear them!  We're a little wary of hurricaines so even though I'd love to be near the beach, I think we'll be staying away from the coast.  Our goal is to get about 5+ acres for $10,000 or under, so that's narrowing our search quite a bit. 
  The move will be tough but I'm excited for better weather, friendlier people and a slower paced living!!
8/12 March Siggy- reception venue!
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: XP: maybe relocating to NC from CT

• I had friends that lived in both Oxford and Henderson and they really liked it. Durham is only a 45 minute or so drive from Oxford if you wanted to visit the city. The outer banks are only like 3-4 hours away too.

I'm not sure where you'll find 5 acres for $10k. The lowest I've seen anywhere was around $2500 an acre and that was a few years ago. Good luck!
    FOR SALE - www.sd31942.weebly.com
  • We're in Fuquay which is a really cute little town. It's growing though, but not too much as the board wants it to stay nice and 'homey' feeling.

It's convenient to Apex, Cary and Raleigh (all about 20-30 mins away). Durham is about 45-50 pending on traffic. Fayetteville is about an 45-1hour away. The beaches vary between 2 - 7 hours pending on which you'd like to visit. Charlotte is about 3 hours away.

Apex also has a nice little downtown area, but also is very close to a nice shopping center. Holly springs is between fuquay and Apex and also has the nice 'small town' feel.

Theres also Willow springs, which is kind of between fuquay and Garner. It's more country-ish, as is Fuquay. There are lots of farmers in this area. There is also land available, however I think it's going for at the very least 2k an acre. I could be wrong though.

I would highly recommend talking to a local realtor and seeing if they can pull up some lots for you. They'll also know the areas better (ideally) and can give you insight on about how much you'll be looking to spend.

What part of CT are you from?
    We're actually looking to head up north. We're crossing everything we've got right now for a job position in Brooklyn. DH's family is in CT, so it'd be nicer to be closer to them.

As far as nursing jobs go, I think with all the medical areas around here, you'll be fine. It may take a little searching and submitting multiple resumes, but I'm sure you'd be able to find something. Have you ever considered doing Homehealth nursing?

Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thanks girls!  We've found a couple lots for around $10,000, and a couple larger lots, around 10 acres for $23,000 but the realtor said the bank would take $16,000.  I guess so many lots are in foreclosure that banks are really cutting prices.

@nscupsych- I'll look into those areas you've mentioned.  I've lived in multiple places in CT.  I went to school down in New Haven and currently we're in the middle of the state.  Where are your FI's parents from? 

My only worry about moving is that I don't know anyone in the area!  but I hear people are friendlier in the South than they are up here, so hopefully I can make some connections.  I've considered home care nursing as my last option.  If I have to do it, I will.  But I never loved going into people's homes, and it's been a couple years since I did medical nursing, as I specialize in psych now.  Thanks for the input girls!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_xp-maybe-relocating-to-nc-from-ct?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:115Discussion:eb62fd26-12c4-4101-ba67-e62bf5ca7f32Post:04d2b826-a5ad-4bed-8901-c4198d1e1cdd">Re: XP: maybe relocating to NC from CT</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks girls!  We've found a couple lots for around $10,000, and a couple larger lots, around 10 acres for $23,000 but the realtor said the bank would take $16,000.  I guess so many lots are in foreclosure that banks are really cutting prices. @nscupsych- I'll look into those areas you've mentioned.  I've lived in multiple places in CT.  I went to school down in New Haven and currently we're in the middle of the state.  Where are your FI's parents from?  My only worry about moving is that I don't know anyone in the area!  <strong>but I hear people are friendlier in the South than they are up here, so hopefully I can make some connections.</strong>  I've considered home care nursing as my last option.  If I have to do it, I will.  But I never loved going into people's homes, and it's been a couple years since I did medical nursing, as I specialize in psych now.  Thanks for the input girls!
    Posted by bmetz34[/QUOTE]

LMAO (at bolded). DH told me the exact opposite when we started talking about moving up north. He didn't say that northerners are mean, but that they're more direct and uptight, while the south is much more laid back and easy going. I've already noticed it through his family too. I'm the first southerner to be married into the family and it was definitely a bit of a shock at first.

People are pretty friendly down here. I've found the Raleigh area to be more friendly than the Charlotte area. If you wave at people here, they don't look at you like you've got twelve head s or something.

Don't stress about meeting new people. You'll meet people around where you live, at work and you can make friends through here too :) I've made a couple here myself :). There are also websites like Meetup.com which have common interest groups that get together.

DH's (Im married ;) ) family is in Coventry, NH and ME. :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • How regional is his position?  IMO, the further east/southeast you go, the better luck you'll have finding inexpensive land.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_north-carolina_xp-maybe-relocating-to-nc-from-ct?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:115Discussion:eb62fd26-12c4-4101-ba67-e62bf5ca7f32Post:874b9af7-783a-4f78-a73a-bb97cba91498">Re: XP: maybe relocating to NC from CT</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: XP: maybe relocating to NC from CT : LMAO (at bolded). DH told me the exact opposite when we started talking about moving up north. He didn't say that northerners are mean, but that they're more direct and uptight, while the south is much more laid back and easy going. I've already noticed it through his family too. I'm the first southerner to be married into the family and it was definitely a bit of a shock at first. People are pretty friendly down here.<strong> I've found the Raleigh area to be more friendly than the Charlotte area.</strong> If you wave at people here, they don't look at you like you've got twelve head s or something. Don't stress about meeting new people. You'll meet people around where you live, at work and you can make friends through here too :) I've made a couple here myself :). There are also websites like Meetup.com which have common interest groups that get together. DH's (Im married ;) ) family is in Coventry, NH and ME. :)
    Posted by NcsuPsych[/QUOTE]<div>That's because most people that live in Charlotte are originally from up North. :)

</div>
  • Since Apex was mentioned above:

We live in Apex and like it a lot.  They are doing some construction here right now but when it is finished it will be even more convenient to get from place to place.  Although we live close to a nice shopping center, if you drive just a few miles past our house, there is a lot of open land.  Jordan Lake is a nice place to hike or swim and just a short drive from Apex (15 min).  Apex does seem to be a good place to raise a family and a lot of Apex seems to be focused on this. But the few bars around town also seem to be hoppin on the weekends.

I have also lived north of Charlotte in a small town and at the beach in Wilmington.  The hurricanes were never a big deal in Wilmington but it definitely has a different feel than the Raleigh area.

I will be gald to answer more ?s if you have them!
  • Thanks again guys!  Apex sounds lovely, but it's looking a bit too expensive to buy any land there.  We can basically be anywhere in the state.  I only looked into Henderson area because that's where I found land to be plentiful and affordable.  We'll be down in a little over a week and I can't wait to see how I like it!  I'd love the coast, but as long as we're near a lake, I think I'll be ok!
  • What about Salisbury area? Close to Concord, Charlotte, Winston-Salem, Huntersville, Mooresville. 2 hours to the mountians, 4 hours to the beach. Very Central location. Lots of small towns around and rual areas. :)
  • If you're looking to be close to a lake, I'll throw out my hometown of Lexington. We have High Rock Lake that you could probably find some land on right now. Not sure of prices, but I know a lot of lake-front properties are in foreclosure. We're a pretty small town right in the center of the state so about 2 hours to the mountains and 3.5 hours to the coast. Quiet and not a whole lot to do, but it is a convenient drive to the piedmont/triad, about 30 mins.(Winston-Salem, Greensboro, High Point) and an hour from Charlotte :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards