Michigan-Grand Rapids

Bridal Party Question

This is a tricky area for me - I don't have any close friends anymore (due to a previous relationship), I have never met my FH's family (not yet anyways), so I wouldn't feel right asking them & my FH doesn't have any close male friends that live in Michigan anymore  - what do we do about a bridal party? I have 2 children from that previous relationship but can they be the only ones in the party or do we have to have someone stand up for us???? My kids are 9 & 10 - too young to sign any papers!

I have female cousins that I have been close to but what if FH doesn't have anyone that he wants to ask?

I thought about asking my brother & nephew to stand up for me & FH can have his 2 sisters but I don't know....what to do???

Any ideas girls????
~Amy~

Re: Bridal Party Question

• shrades77shrades77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry you're struggling with this!  First, I would sit down and talk to your FH about whether he has anyone he wants to stand up with him.  If he doesn't, then maybe you should consider having your children involved in a different way and not having anyone stand up with you either.

Now, if he has some people he would like to stand up, then go ahead and ask your children to stand up (if you want to) as well as the others that are really close to you.  Keep in mind that number of bridesmaids and groomsmen do NOT have to be equal, so you could have 5 standing up, and he could have 3....  whatever both of you is okay with.  Also, don't worry that your children aren't old enough to sign the marriage certificate - you could always have another family member do that for you.

Lastly (and please trust me on this one) - do NOT ask anyone to be in your bridal party more than a year out from your wedding.  A lot can happen in that time, and there have been a lot of girls that regret asking someone so far out as something happens and they no longer truly want them in their wedding. 

I hope that helps! 
    **Rachel & Andy - 9.6.09**

Vendor Reviews l Pro Pic Preview image

• heather_rae90heather_rae90 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You actually don't have to have a bridal party at all. The witnesses that sign your marriage license for you and your FI can be friends or family that just need to speak and understand english.

http://www.weddingchaos.co.uk/otherparticipants/witnesses.asp

HTH! Smile
  • AmoroAgainAmoroAgain member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yep, I agree.  Don't have anyone stand up with you, if you haven't got someone close to you.  All you have to do is have someone who can sign. :)
  • blu2green77blu2green77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
       Thank you for the replies so far ladies! I still have time to get things situated between now & our wedding. I appreciate the comments. I'm glad I have so much time to think about things & getting your ideas will definitely help.

Thank you Thank you Thank you
    ~Amy~
  • DanaTorngaDanaTornga member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're not having a wedding party. I feel like it's just a popularity contest. Then you get the situation where someone didn't ask you to be in their wedding so you feel a little strange asking them to be in yours. I don't want to ask someone that I'm not very close with. The only person that I would really want to ask lives accross the country. Then there is my sister who I'm really not that close with but I was her maid of honor so I feel like I'm required to ask her. It just seems easier to skip the whole thing!!!

The main thing is that it is YOUR day and you can do exactly what you want with it! Be creative and involve who you want in whatever way you want. Don't do anything that doesn't feel right just because it's the tradition and you feel you have to. Make it your own!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards