Michigan-Grand Rapids
Options

Venue Help

...Yes, another venue questions :) I've checked out some of the previous ones on the board but figured I'd post again to describe what I'm looking.

Ideally, we would like something slightly "different", basically meaning anything that isn't just four white walls. I want a place that is pretty laid back and not TOO stuffy feeling. The money isn't a huge issue, but we don't want to go crazy or anything.

I checked out Mosaic Space in person and thought the place was pretty cool, but I don't know...there were some things I didn't like (the area mostly, parking,  and the fact that they didn't have any ice on site for drinks), AND I received a private message regarding Mosaic Space from a fellow board member that wasn't so great so I'm not 100% sold yet on this space.

I would like to check out San Chez (I guess they have a banquet space upstairs), The Top of The Bob (although I'm not sure...this place seems like it would be extremely expensive), and possibly a banquet facility or country club (still need to look at these a little more, but if anyone has any suggestions, that would be great!).

Finally, my question...does anyone have any experience with the above named facilities? Or any facility that they used an absolutely LOVED?

I feel like finding the venue is going to be one of the hardest decisions and I just want to make the right one :)

Thanks everyone!

Re: Venue Help

• Options
    AmoroAgainAmoroAgain member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There was a bride here who used Sans Chez and loved it, but I'm blanking on her name right now. 

Otherwise, I think that it's really easy to get too into this stuff.  My H and I really wanted a modern space, but it was just too expensive, so we ended up going the complete opposite with St. Cecilia's for the ceremony and Bistro Bella Vita for the reception.  These worked for us because we had a very small wedding and we knew we wouldn't have dancing at the reception. 

If you want something that is outside the box, perhaps look into the museum, or start contacting places that may not normally hold weddings and see what they would be able to work out for you.  Or do you have a restaurant that you love?  Perhaps see what they would charge for that-- it really depends on how far you're willing to go to have that "perfect" place.  For us, we realized that all of this wasn't about the place, it was about us, and we weren't going to throw tons of money at the one, leaving the food and drink to suffer. :)
  • Options
    RizzO18RizzO18 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

"For us, we realized that all of this wasn't about the place, it was about us, and we weren't going to throw tons of money at the one, leaving the food and drink to suffer. :)"

I tend to agree with you there :) My requirements for a good wedding are an awesome guy I adore (check!), amazing food, open bar (a must), and lots of dancing and I was just kind of hoping the rest would fall into place LOL

You had a great idea though--to check into places that wouldn't normally host a wedding. I also thought about the UICA, so that might be an option too.

How did you like St. Cecilia's for your ceremony? We aren't sure where we are going to get married. Neither one of us belong to a church, but a family member is a pastor and the only person I would want to perform the ceremony. I'm just  not sure if church's let outside pastors in. I'll have to look into that. A neutral place like St. Cecilia's is always an option though.

• Options
    eandringaeandringa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Im using quail ridge golf course in Ada for my reception and ceremony. To rent for a reception its only $600 + food ect.And if your FI is a golfer you get 2 rounds of golf free + discount if he wants to golf for bachelor party.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    AmoroAgainAmoroAgain member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-grand-rapids_venue-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:95Discussion:6e1a21ee-9180-4201-b81d-2da7ba9576fbPost:b53823e0-847b-4b57-8cb1-022e1e5597d1">Re: Venue Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]"For us, we realized that all of this wasn't about the place, it was about us, and we weren't going to throw tons of money at the one, leaving the food and drink to suffer. :)" I tend to agree with you there :) My requirements for a good wedding are an awesome guy I adore (check!), amazing food, open bar (a must), and lots of dancing and I was just kind of hoping the rest would fall into place LOL You had a great idea though--to check into places that wouldn't normally host a wedding. I also thought about the UICA, so that might be an option too.

How did you like St. Cecilia's for your ceremony? We aren't sure where we are going to get married. Neither one of us belong to a church, but a family member is a pastor and the only person I would want to perform the ceremony. I'm just  not sure if church's let outside pastors in. I'll have to look into that. A neutral place like St. Cecilia's is always an option though.
    Posted by RizzO18[/QUOTE]
    We really loved it.  They were easy to work with, let us have the run of the place for photos-- which was great because it was raining day of.   You can take a look at my bio  if you want to see what it looked like.  Depending on how many people, you could even have the ceremony in the theater, which would be pretty great. 

I don't know what the UICA is, but definitely start putting out feelers. :)
  • Options
    shrades77shrades77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Hey there - I would check out the Top of the BOB (we looked into it - it's not nearly as expensive as you would think, it was one of our top contenders), San Chez, the GR Public Museum, Tre Cugini and McFaddens.  We had a modern wedding and started out wanting a very unique, modern space, and these are some of the places we looked into.

Good Luck!

**Rachel & Andy - 9.6.09**

Vendor Reviews l Pro Pic Preview image

• Options
    TheWopTheWop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_michigan-grand-rapids_venue-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:95Discussion:6e1a21ee-9180-4201-b81d-2da7ba9576fbPost:8a89af62-0fdf-4e54-8d50-c1dc7f80b9d9">Re: Venue Help</a>:
    [QUOTE]Im using quail ridge golf course in Ada for my reception and ceremony. To rent for a reception its only $600 + food ect.And if your FI is a golfer you get 2 rounds of golf free + discount if he wants to golf for bachelor party.
    Posted by eandringa[/QUOTE]

I second Quail Ridge, they were great for us.  Really nice, non-traditional banquet room and awesome food.  I recommend them to anyone looking for a ceremony or reception venue.  You can't beat the price either.  They have a fantastic course for pictures too.  We had a perfect day there.  Let me know if you would like more information or if you would like to see any of our pictures.  sparkles242 at hotmail dot com
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think I remember seeing in a PP that you were looking around the GR area so I didn't respond before but since we LOVED our venue, I have to suggest it. We had our reception at Foundry Hall in South Haven, MI. ( http://foundryhall.com/ )
    I originally spoke with Andru but also worked with Jephri. We visited Foundry Hall in March of last year and knew immediatly that it was perfect. They were open to whatever decorating we wanted to do, the price was beyond reasonable, they allowed us to bring in whatever caterer we wanted (went with Adeline Leigh - amazing) and allowed us to bring in our own bar service - they didn't even require that we higher a lisenced bar service. They don't actually have there own parking lot but parking was not an issue at all. There is a lot next door and plenty of on street parking right outside the front door.

If you're worried about the drive, it is actually really beautiful and most of our guests came down early on the day of the wedding to shop or swim, stayed the night and spent the following day checking out the town!

Here is a link to our photo preview which shows a little bit of the space:
    http://www.nicolehaleyblog.com/marella-ben-wedding-foundry-hall-south-haven/

HTH!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The Bob has plus and minuses to it. I know when we attended 3 weddings there the big draw back was the stairs for the caterer and dj, some people actually charge extra for it being on the 3rd floor. Also with the DJ, there was a lot of feedback in the mic because of the towers surrounding the Bob. At one of the weddings there was actually a football game coming through the mic while the dinner prayer was being said. (3 different DJ's for 3 differents wedding with interference in the mic ) I dont know if these things would be a big deal for you, but the interference thing was a little bothersome to the 3 brides that had their reception there. Just letting you know what I have experienced with the Bob as a guest.
  • Options
    RizzO18RizzO18 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks everyone for your input!
    i think i'll definitely check into san chez, mcfaddens, st cecelias, and quail ridge. i went to quail ridge's website and didnt see much info about weddings (or pictures) but i'll still check it out :)

thanks again!
  • Options
    RizzO18RizzO18 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

marella-i meant to also say that you looked stunning in those pictures and the venue looks awesome!    :)  i checked out the venue's site and it looks like a cool place but i still think its too far for our guests. grand rapids is a pretty centralized area for most guests (as they are coming from all directions). thanks for the suggestion though!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    RizzO18 - Thank you! I completely understand about the travel time. Good luck with the rest of your planning! :)
  • Options
    derrickbderrickb member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out the Brass Works Building or American Seating building. I know the BWB has had weddings before. I'm not sure about the ASB, but they do have undeveloped space, apartments, and lofts. If you're willing to travel a little out of Grand Rapids - check out the Clockworks building in Zeeland.

- The Groom

Wedding Website
  • Options
    karenwjackmkarenwjackm member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Being an art teacher, I'm a huge fan of art museums, and GRAM is recently renovated, I'd check into that, its a lovely yet modern space!
    As my fiance is fond of saying, "Just Relax....."
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Pearl Room in McFadden's they are extremely accommodating, and Erin is a complete pleasure to work with.
  • Options
    RizzO18RizzO18 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi!
    I just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions on picking out a venue. After checking out McFaddens Pearl Room, San Chez, Mosaic Space and St Cecelia's....we decided on St. Cecelia's =)  

St. Cecelia's goes against what I thought I originally wanted (modern, loft feel) but once we got inside, we both really loved it! We are going to get married in the theatre and then have our reception upstairs in the ballroom.

Amoro-- when you got married at St. Cecelia's, did you use the theatre room? If so, how did it work for you? Did you walk down one of the aisle's?   LOL Now that I just asked that I realize how silly it sounds, but I can't quite vision walking down the aisle onto the stage.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards